Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking today? Hopefully you didnt lose anything.
The hammer is *for sure* a goner, and one of my banggai cardinals has disappeared, and a hermit was torn from its shell and left to die, and last night I found a tiny hairy crab that is neither mithrax nor gorilla...

And the algae is still going NUTS.

Last night I turned on the skimmer, and this evening I changed my filter pads, which were disgusting despite being relatively new. I also tossed in my UV sterilizer and killed the lights. It looks like the algae is all through the water column, and especially on the surface. Adding insult to injury, it friggin' STINKS. In my bedroom.

sick cringe GIF

I'm going to keep the lights to UV-only tomorrow, and do a water change Saturday. Hopefully I can get this under control quickly. I've got the window open and it's going to drop to 37° tonight, but I've got to get some fresh air in here. I'm dying.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious what causes this?
What parameters are set for your lighting? Didn't you refer to our Parameters Table settings ?

Nutramar Foods

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a great first response.
Ehh, it’s going through Google translate, they made a comment about my tank a while back that seemed kind of out of pocket, but after reading more of their comments I think it’s just the fact that languages don’t translate perfectly, context and tone is often drastically changed in translation, so I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I don’t think the issue here is necessarily the lighting. The lighting is feeding the algae, but it’s not something inherent to this light that’s causing it.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your previous lighting is dim, your corals may not be able to adapt to high-power 140watt lights in a short time. Poor water recycling treatment may be the main cause.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Door closed, lights off last night:
View attachment 2403830

Door closed, only one of two fans running tonight:
View attachment 2403838

Again, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it would probably bug me if it was in another room.

In other news, my gorgonian coral is SUPER fluffy and loving life.

Is your decibel measured at the construction site?:oops:

The following is the actual decibel measurement(The picture is large, zoom in to see):

1636093598930.jpeg
1636093606920.jpeg
1636093615842.jpeg
1636093623106.jpeg

Corals.com

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ehh, it’s going through Google translate, they made a comment about my tank a while back that seemed kind of out of pocket, but after reading more of their comments I think it’s just the fact that languages don’t translate perfectly, context and tone is often drastically changed in translation, so I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I don’t think the issue here is necessarily the lighting. The lighting is feeding the algae, but it’s not something inherent to this light that’s causing it.
Yes, i was used google translate. the useless google translate ;NailbitingOften translated incorrectly

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammer is *for sure* a goner, and one of my banggai cardinals has disappeared, and a hermit was torn from its shell and left to die, and last night I found a tiny hairy crab that is neither mithrax nor gorilla...

And the algae is still going NUTS.

Last night I turned on the skimmer, and this evening I changed my filter pads, which were disgusting despite being relatively new. I also tossed in my UV sterilizer and killed the lights. It looks like the algae is all through the water column, and especially on the surface. Adding insult to injury, it friggin' STINKS. In my bedroom.

sick cringe GIF

I'm going to keep the lights to UV-only tomorrow, and do a water change Saturday. Hopefully I can get this under control quickly. I've got the window open and it's going to drop to 37° tonight, but I've got to get some fresh air in here. I'm dying.
Worst ugly phase I ever heard of in all my life. Hot dogs!!!
Yes, i was used google translate. the useless google translate ;NailbitingOften translated incorrectly
I must be highly privileged. My mother is Thai/Japanese. She was rather well with English. Her friends were worse than google translator. I had to adapt.

When I had the ability to measure db. my skimmer was outside 64-72 inside .... I think i need to do something.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Google translate or not, these fans are loud. I worked in my room all day yesterday from about ten feet away, and it was like a white noise machine was running. I'm not crazy, I don't have sensitive ears or an overly silent home. Noo-Psyche being defensive, questioning my perception and my testing, and otherwise trying to prove me wrong is both insulting and asinine.

老实说,无论谷歌翻译与否,这些粉丝都很吵。 昨天我在我的房间里工作了一整天,距离大约十英尺,就像一台白噪声机器在运行。 我没有疯,我没有敏感的耳朵,也没有一个过于安静的家。 Noo-Psyche 是防御性的,质疑我的感知和我的测试,否则试图证明我是错的,既是侮辱性的,也是愚蠢的。

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your previous lighting is dim, your corals may not be able to adapt to high-power 140watt lights in a short time. Poor water recycling treatment may be the main cause.
My previous lighting is 150W. I'm not blaming your lights for my weird algae outbreak.

我以前的照明是150W。 我不是因为我奇怪的藻类爆发而责怪你的灯。

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have I missed this thread? I have 5 of the Noopsyche lights over my tank and the fans are very noticeable, but to me they're not annoyingly loud. I would use a decibel meter on my phone but I'm still in the process of slowly ramping up my lights, so it's not a fair comparison until I get then up to a higher percentage.

Excellent write up on the lights though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kittenbritches thanks for the honest review.

In regards to the fans, wonder if it may be a bad batch of fans or something. I have had this happen in the past with other leds. Bought 6 and 2 lights had really loud fans. The manufacturer sent me 2 new ones and then all quiet. With all things, it can happen.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kittenbritches thanks for the honest review.

In regards to the fans, wonder if it may be a bad batch of fans or something. I have had this happen in the past with other leds. Bought 6 and 2 lights had really loud fans. The manufacturer sent me 2 new ones and then all quiet. With all things, it can happen.
Yeah..thats it. I need two new lights..my fans are REALLY LOUD.

Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..thats it. I need two new lights..my fans are REALLY LOUD.

Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV
Lol. It took a video of each one running to get them replaced, but I cannot blame them. I would do the same thing.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, Google translate or not, these fans are loud. I worked in my room all day yesterday from about ten feet away, and it was like a white noise machine was running. I'm not crazy, I don't have sensitive ears or an overly silent home. Noo-Psyche being defensive, questioning my perception and my testing, and otherwise trying to prove me wrong is both insulting and asinine.

老实说,无论谷歌翻译与否,这些粉丝都很吵。 昨天我在我的房间里工作了一整天,距离大约十英尺,就像一台白噪声机器在运行。 我没有疯,我没有敏感的耳朵,也没有一个过于安静的家。 Noo-Psyche 是防御性的,质疑我的感知和我的测试,否则试图证明我是错的,既是侮辱性的,也是愚蠢的。
Maybe there are some background noises around you that you haven't noticed?
Because the noise of 64 decibels has the volume of the construction site. such a loud voice products will not be ship. We ship each unit for testing. each unit We ship before will be test

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there are some background noises around you that you haven't noticed?
Because the noise of 64 decibels has the volume of the construction site. such a loud voice products will not be ship. We ship each unit for testing. each unit We ship before will be test
Wrong.

1636126597884.png

I have nothing to gain by saying the fans are loud. Whether I got a faulty pair or am the only one who isn't afraid to tell the truth -- the fans are significantly louder than any of the other lights I currently have or have used in the past.

I have been in the same home for over a decade. I know what my quiet house sounds like. Stop trying to gaslight or otherwise blame me for my experience with your lights.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and one of my banggai cardinals has disappeared, and a hermit was torn from its shell and left to die, and last night I found a tiny hairy crab that is neither mithrax nor gorilla...
The KP Aquatics rocks you added to the tank....was this coming from your main tank or did you recently get this order? I ordered from KP Aquatics back in Jan and had to QT the rocks. I removed some bad critters and still have one left in my tank which I think is a Mantis. I have set traps and removed rocks trying to get it out. I had two fish disappear one after the other. I just added two more fishes yesterday. Let's see if they survive. One of your fish must have died and is polluting your water.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong.

View attachment 2408735

I have nothing to gain by saying the fans are loud. Whether I got a faulty pair or am the only one who isn't afraid to tell the truth -- the fans are significantly louder than any of the other lights I currently have or have used in the past.

I have been in the same home for over a decade. I know what my quiet house sounds like. Stop trying to gaslight or otherwise blame me for my experience with your lights.
I think you got a bad noisy fan. It slipped through quality check. We are all human and this isn't to cast a bad quality (light) on NP. Maybe it was good shipping out but had a ruff handling and caused problem with the fan

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back