+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably too excited for what really is just me getting a light lol

I’ve been using a fluval marine 2.0 to keep my live rock going, and like a pleb I was blown away by being able to mess with the channels. I can’t imagine how much you can do with a light like the photon
Photons have 6 channels... they're pretty nice lights. Logan at Reefbreeders is awesome to deal with as well. In fact, I talked to him yesterday afternoon. Guess there's a Black Friday sale coming up on his gear as well, so keep an eye out for that. AT their price point, they're tough lights to beat.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sps mode the lights get super hot. Fan starts to zoom. Around 50% the fans are low.
Interesting. I never have my whites >5%.

752E727F-9E01-48A2-95D9-70831CE79AFF.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photons have 6 channels... they're pretty nice lights. Logan at Reefbreeders is awesome to deal with as well. In fact, I talked to him yesterday afternoon. Guess there's a Black Friday sale coming up on his gear as well, so keep an eye out for that. AT their price point, they're tough lights to beat.

thats what I’ve always heard. I listen to Reef News Network and the guys on there have nothing but good to say about Logan. And anyone I talk to echos that.

and right? That’s why I’m going with the photon. For the money, and what it can do, added to the fact that I only need to by one light for my tank vs 2-3 lights ranging from $300-$800 each (typically excluding mounting kits). I can’t justify anything else lol especially not to my Mrs. it took some time to convince her that the photon is worth it if you’re looking to grow softies to sps.

Nutramar Foods

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what I’ve always heard. I listen to Reef News Network and the guys on there have nothing but good to say about Logan. And anyone I talk to echos that.

and right? That’s why I’m going with the photon. For the money, and what it can do, added to the fact that I only need to by one light for my tank vs 2-3 lights ranging from $300-$800 each (typically excluding mounting kits). I can’t justify anything else lol especially not to my Mrs. it took some time to convince her that the photon is worth it if you’re looking to grow softies to sps.
Oh you can grow anything under them. Cornbred Corals grows some pretty nice SPS under those lights. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have on the lights. Including the fan noise (there is none).

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you can grow anything under them. Cornbred Corals grows some pretty nice SPS under those lights. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have on the lights. Including the fan noise (there is none).

will do, thanks!

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do the fans kick on for you? Are they always on when lights come on or 9 am to 5 pm?

Aslo, led fans from many posts I am reading, are loud. I do not think there is an escape.
They go on and off until they turn off for the night. My Maxspect is way more quiet and it's a bigger unit with higher wattage. My settings at peak for comparison...

37A2CDC1-13F2-456A-8373-EF8279B77298.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go on and off until they turn off for the night. My Maxspect is way more quiet and it's a bigger unit with higher wattage. My settings at peak for comparison...

View attachment 2409403
it's impossible to make them quiet, unless as I have said before. You know how to change out parts. People have had this same issue with radions. In order to fix the noise, the heatsink had to be redone.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's impossible to make them quiet, unless as I have said before. You know how to change out parts. People have had this same issue with radions. In order to fix the noise, the heatsink had to be redone.
I'll get back to you on the G5 Radions on the new tank... I haven't run those enough to give an opinion since there's no water in it yet. I will say this... if they're loud they'll be up for sale and there will be a 48" Photon over that tank within a week.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and I've already said that the noise doesn't actually bother me. ;) It's the denial and blame that really grinds my gears.

peter griffin family GIF

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back