How do I run a succesful refugium

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cdemoss01, let me say that there are multiple ways to run a successful reef. A fuge with macroalgae, live rock and sandbed are one way. Its the way I choose because I'd rather prune macroalgae than clean a skimmer cup or use a reactor that I don't have the experience with or attempt vodka dosing. However there are folks who are very successful with all of these and other methods I did not mention. Its a matter a finding which method of maintaining a proper nutrient balance in your tank works for you. Some costs more, some require more space, some are more labor intensive. You may need to try different methods to determine which is best for you. However, just to dispel the myth that macoalgae will kill your coral, I am including a pic of my almost 8 year old system that currently and probably for the last 5 years has only used macroalgae as the main way of exporting nutrients. I have nems, softies and LPS and they are all thriving.
20240724_123605.jpg
20240724_123739.jpg
Wow that red grape is nice! Cactus caulerpa and codium too. Very nice.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that red grape is nice! Cactus caulerpa and codium too. Very nice.
Thanks twentyleagues. I have had pretty good luck with everything lately. And you know your macroalgae!

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cdemoss01, let me say that there are multiple ways to run a successful reef. A fuge with macroalgae, live rock and sandbed are one way. Its the way I choose because I'd rather prune macroalgae than clean a skimmer cup or use a reactor that I don't have the experience with or attempt vodka dosing. However there are folks who are very successful with all of these and other methods I did not mention. Its a matter a finding which method of maintaining a proper nutrient balance in your tank works for you. Some costs more, some require more space, some are more labor intensive. You may need to try different methods to determine which is best for you. However, just to dispel the myth that macoalgae will kill your coral, I am including a pic of my almost 8 year old system that currently and probably for the last 5 years has only used macroalgae as the main way of exporting nutrients. I have nems, softies and LPS and they are all thriving.
20240724_123605.jpg
20240724_123739.jpg
Wow so beautiful. How big is your fuge? Would you say a tidal 110 basket would be able to keep enough in there for a 65g

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks twentyleagues. I have had pretty good luck with everything lately. And you know your macroalgae!
I used to have a 75g display fuge in my last reef life. I had lots of macros but those you have were always my favorites. Currently I have dragons breath, feather caulerpa, and green grape. The feather and grape have taken over and I typically harvest about a pound out every two weeks. This set up isnt really great for a display hard to get at and maintain properly, but it works.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 75g display fuge in my last reef life. I had lots of macros but those you have were always my favorites. Currently I have dragons breath, feather caulerpa, and green grape. The feather and grape have taken over and I typically harvest about a pound out every two weeks. This set up isnt really great for a display hard to get at and maintain properly, but it works.
What should I try to put in my Tidal 110? Grape? Or more macroish algae.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I try to put in my Tidal 110? Grape? Or more macroish algae.
Grape is macro. In the tidal i would probably do chaeto or pom pom. Something that does not need or want to attach to substrate. I would try to attach a mesh barrier in the output to stop it from flowing into the tank. Just be careful to not cause a blockage if it gets gunked up.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grape is macro. In the tidal i would probably do chaeto or pom pom. Something that does not need or want to attach to substrate. I would try to attach a mesh barrier in the output to stop it from flowing into the tank. Just be careful to not cause a blockage if it gets gunked up.
Gotcha. You know where I could get a mesh barrier? Also how much chaeto would you recommend for it. And a good light to use? Preferably cheap heard that some lights on amazon work really well. Would you say I can fit the amount of cheato I'll need for it?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. You know where I could get a mesh barrier? Also how much chaeto would you recommend for it. And a good light to use? Preferably cheap heard that some lights on amazon work really well. Would you say I can fit the amount of cheato I'll need for it?
Just get a small golf ball size piece it will grow. As for lighting a 6500k led 50w equivalent screw in bulb would be fine in a desk lamp or clip on. You dont need to go crazy. If you want a more fish tank related light look for something from the freshwater nano planted tank world. My current fuge is 1/3 of a 75g and I am using a fluval 3.0 planted tank nano light to light it.

Edit- they sell rolls of flexible gutter guard at hd pretty cheap since you get 50' in the roll. Easy to cut with scissors.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a small golf ball size piece it will grow. As for lighting a 6500k led 50w equivalent screw in bulb would be fine in a desk lamp or clip on. You dont need to go crazy. If you want a more fish tank related light look for something from the freshwater nano planted tank world. My current fuge is 1/3 of a 75g and I am using a fluval 3.0 planted tank nano light to light it.

Edit- they sell rolls of flexible gutter guard at hd pretty cheap since you get 50' in the roll. Easy to cut with scissors.
Alrighty thanks. Would you say this light would work for me? It's sort of a crappy light but if it can do the job I'm bagging it.
Amazon product

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something like this would work just fine
1724256779173.png

1724256842620.png

That bulb is wifi adjustable. You can find cheaper options also.
Idrk I would like it to be unoticable but if that's the measure that needs to be taken then it will be done. Just look up a 8 inch hygger submersible light on Amazon

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idrk I would like it to be unoticable but if that's the measure that needs to be taken then it will be done. Just look up a 8 inch hygger submersible light on Amazon
It will probably be fine. Might be a little low on the power scale but it will be close and in a small area.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so beautiful. How big is your fuge? Would you say a tidal 110 basket would be able to keep enough in there for a 65g
The pics I included were the display tank, not the fuge. My display is a 56 gallon column tank and I just like macroalgae so I include them in the display tank. I have a basement fuge that is just an old 30 gallon extra high tank that I use to have. It's not patitioned off, just the return pump at one end and the drain at the other end. It has some macroalgae but not as much as the display. Mostly what it provides is more water volume.
IMG_20220125_171254360.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dragon's breath and decades ago I had great luck with it as my 1st ever macroalgae. I tried it once or twice in this current tank and did not have any luck with it. Who knows why some things thrive and others don't?

I know what you mean about feather caulerpa and green grape caulerpa. They are effective at taking up nutrients but difficult to maintain them in an attractive fashion.

mikst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest watching the last episode of Reef Therapy where Salem talks about refugium's. Evidence shows that macroalgae can be harmful to DOC export which is why there are more and more cryptic sumps being used.
Hello, I looked up reef therapy in YouTube and there are a ton of episodes. I scrolled through them and nothing screamed out to me "Salem talks about refugium" etc. Can you tell me what episode number it is please? I would greatly appreciate it as it intrigues me. Thanks.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back