How do I run a succesful refugium

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthellae are not algae

They are dinos. I believe the burden of evidence is on you to show that they are the same. Or rather, the person who wrote that they were the same, whoever that was.

1000003536.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthellae are not algae

They are dinos. I believe the burden of evidence is on you to show that they are the same. Or rather, the person who wrote that they were the same, whoever that was.

1000003536.jpg

Dinos are a type of algae. Though,as taxonomists like to do, some apparently debate their placement. Either way they are both using chlorophyll a and c and some other accessory photo pigments. Simply look at the spectrographs. Blue/violet is the most exciting for them in photosynthesis.

Last edited:

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. I have not started a fuge as I think it'll kill my coral as some have said. The algae is acting weird. Look at these pictures I took what's happening with it?
1000000118.jpg

1000000117.jpg
A fuge will not kill your coral. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is a useful tool for reducing nitrates and the size you are talking about is not going to bottom out your nutrients completely. That said - I saw a post in the beginning about not having a skimmer. I would make that priority #1 before a fuge.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge will not kill your coral. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is a useful tool for reducing nitrates and the size you are talking about is not going to bottom out your nutrients completely. That said - I saw a post in the beginning about not having a skimmer. I would make that priority #1 before a fuge.
Yes my LFs has ordered a icecap k-50. I'm new to fuges so that's what I heard idk

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my LFs has ordered a icecap k-50. I'm new to fuges so that's what I heard idk
Some people run a refugium and no skimmer

I wouldn’t even set up a tank that didn't have an overrated skimmer

That's just the way I reef

I dump my skimmer cup every day or every other day. I don't want that poop in my water, or in my tank stand

And I am still able to run a viable macro algae reactor. Which is sort of a refugium in a can

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got LPS and softies ,nems?
Yes I have all those things. I do dose nitrate at this point to keep it at 10 ppm, but I was doing that even before the fuge was setup. I like my fuge for the benefits to my pod population, reducing day/night pH swing, and general biodiversity, even though I don’t really need it for nitrate export.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have all those things. I do dose nitrate at this point to keep it at 10 ppm, but I was doing that even before the fuge was setup. I like my fuge for the benefits to my pod population, reducing day/night pH swing, and general biodiversity, even though I don’t really need it for nitrate export.
Very nice. What light do you use? Where is your fuge in your filter?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I use a tunze submersible light and a hygger LED bar on top. My sump is in my basement so I have a large fuge plumbed in-line with that.
IMG_3817.jpeg
Wow that's really cool. I might put a light into my Tidal there's a video out there about it working and others have done it before. If I wanna install it to my top then I'm gonna have to go with a smaller strip light. Like those crappy little lights we get in fish tank kits and stuff. Or if I wanna take my top off I need a cheap fuge light that'll just clip on I guess. I'll probably do chaeto. What should I expect after I install the cheato in?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how to get rid of it
There are threads on how to deal with it. Unfortunately its persistent. I have used aiptasia x seems to work-ish no better or worse than other options. There is a current thread on another option but seems a little "dangerous". Lots of this or that works but nothing I have found is 100% in all situations.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are threads on how to deal with it. Unfortunately its persistent. I have used aiptasia x seems to work-ish no better or worse than other options. There is a current thread on another option but seems a little "dangerous". Lots of this or that works but nothing I have found is 100% in all situations.
Alrighty then

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cdemoss01, let me say that there are multiple ways to run a successful reef. A fuge with macroalgae, live rock and sandbed are one way. Its the way I choose because I'd rather prune macroalgae than clean a skimmer cup or use a reactor that I don't have the experience with or attempt vodka dosing. However there are folks who are very successful with all of these and other methods I did not mention. Its a matter a finding which method of maintaining a proper nutrient balance in your tank works for you. Some costs more, some require more space, some are more labor intensive. You may need to try different methods to determine which is best for you. However, just to dispel the myth that macoalgae will kill your coral, I am including a pic of my almost 8 year old system that currently and probably for the last 5 years has only used macroalgae as the main way of exporting nutrients. I have nems, softies and LPS and they are all thriving.
20240724_123605.jpg
20240724_123739.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back