How do I run a succesful refugium

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was on a tidal 75 with an 18w IM ChaetoMax LED on a 20g that was constantly overfed, no skimmer and no mechanical filtration. Nitrates bottomed out and po4 at 1.4 although topped with hard tap water as an experiment to see if macroalgae removed some metals which it apparently did.

Next iteration AquaClear 110 as it's just easier to function as a HOB Fuge. Light can be placed from behind and avoid that glare in my face. Although this looks cooler.

DIY FUGE-ATS.jpg

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was on a tidal 75 with an 18w IM ChaetoMax LED on a 20g that was constantly overfed, no skimmer and no mechanical filtration. Nitrates bottomed out and po4 at 1.4 although topped with hard tap water as an experiment to see if macroalgae removed some metals which it apparently did.

Next iteration AquaClear 110 as it's just easier to function as a HOB Fuge. Light can be placed from behind and avoid that glare in my face. Although this looks cooler.

DIY FUGE-ATS.jpg
yes....but there is a huge difference between a 20G and a 65G. Can OP do it...yes. (and I would have advise using Aquaclear 110...but thats a different thread). Will it make any impact on OP's tank.....hardly.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes....but there is a huge difference between a 20G and a 65G. Can OP do it...yes. (and I would have advise using Aquaclear 110...but thats a different thread). Will it make any impact on OP's tank.....hardly.
But that's also why I'm suggesting the 110. It's more than twice the volume. Plus if OP runs it as an ATS then it will filter much bigger tanks. Fact why I'm first running it that way and BTW, tank size is irrelevant. Amount of food added what matters. Filter isn't removing 65 gallons of water. It's removing mass of food added and either left uneaten or processed by the fish. Why I never look at volume of gallons when sizing filters. It's mostly about the feed input and to some degree amount of fish. That's how fish farmers calculate filter need. Water volume dilutes but in the end it all needs to be processed.

Worse case. Run two but highly doubt that will be needed. Notice how small reactor solutions are relative to size of tank being filtered and why Clear Water scrubbers are based off number of mises cubes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals for the refugium?

There’s nutrient export, but also critter habitat, cryptic sponges, etc.
Well I wanna be able to lower my nitrates to starve GHA and also heal my LPS they are very unhappy with nitrates but I wanna keep nitrates in the 15 range because of softies and 4 nems.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a side by side on difference between 70 and 110 size. Although this is an AquaClear similar comparisons can be made with Tidal. Plus these sponges can be stacked making it one very large sump for macroalgae.

I'm doubling on the sponges and will first try growing GHA on top otherwise pot scrubbers and then fall back on loading it with either chaeto for max performance or pom pom just because that I can be fed to the fish and due to structure less likely to fall into the tank. It didn't in my Tidal.

AquaClear Sponge Comparion.jpg

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light would you guys reccomend? relatively cheap I was just gonna buy a 8$ 8 watt submersible hygger
Tried the Hygger. It's in my drawer that was so pathetic. Not where one wants to go cheap. Wait on a sale and get something better. Amazon has $25 intercultural lights. Google HOB refugiums and see different ideas. Don't need to go expensive either. The light is the heart of the Fuge. Doesn't have to be pink/purple either. Full spectrum works just fine.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the Hygger. It's in my drawer that was so pathetic. Not where one wants to go cheap. Wait on a sale and get something better. Amazon has $25 intercultural lights. Google HOB refugiums and see different ideas. Don't need to go expensive either. The light is the heart of the Fuge. Doesn't have to be pink/purple either. Full spectrum works just fine.
Alright then I will look around.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back