Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are too late. I have a friend already doing it. Btw...the harvesting practices of years ago (like 1975) may actually be what saves some things. Pieces are being collected globally from hobbyist for just what you guys are talking about. :)
We are gonna do it bigger and better !

World Wide Corals

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are too late. I have a friend already doing it. Btw...the harvesting practices of years ago (like 1975) may actually be what saves some things. Pieces are being collected globally from hobbyist for just what you guys are talking about. :)

I know my view on coral harvesting has changed a lot since I started reefing. It's crazy that what may have started the decline may be the only way to rejuvinate... And i'm sure there's room for more people.

What does your friend do?

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all dream about saving the oceans. Maybe we will.
Did you see the kid who developed a way to remove a large quantity of microplastics as a high school project?... and it seems to actually be a viable solution.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my view on coral harvesting has changed a lot since I started reefing. It's crazy that what may have started the decline may be the only way to rejuvinate... And i'm sure there's room for more people.

What does your friend do?
Owns a reef buisness.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the kid who developed a way to remove a large quantity of microplastics as a high school project?... and it seems to actually be a viable solution.
Yes!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought this hobby may eventually end up saving some species from extinction some day when the oceans stabilize again in the future. Thinking long term; man made bays with re-populated reefs from aquarists. At least I can dream, right?

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought this hobby may eventually end up saving some species from extinction some day when the oceans stabilize again in the future. Thinking long term; man made bays with re-populated reefs from aquarists. At least I can dream, right?
It may be the reality... Reef tanks almost remind me of theSvalbard Seed Vault... though our tanks are probably more safe from global warming than even that is.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the reality... Reef tanks almost remind me of theSvalbard Seed Vault... though our tanks are probably more safe from global warming than even that is.
Same!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on a two masted schooner for 4-5 months studying the evolution of species in the Sargasso Sea and studied some of Jacques Cousteau’s Black holes back in the day I think we can do this bigger and better!!! Use to shave my head in the shape of an anchor!! Haha let’s do this @Hemmdog and @Bleigh

Last edited:

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in a two masted schooner for 4-5 months studying the evolution of species in Sargasso Sea and studied some do Jacques Cousteau’s Black holes back in the day I think we can do this bigger and better!!! Use to shave my head in the shape of an anchor!! Haha let’s do this @Hemmdog and @Bleigh

That's amazing! My life would be complete! :)

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed instead of the mark you leave on humanity think of the impact on the globe you could make!!?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on a two masted schooner for 4-5 months studying the evolution of species in the Sargasso Sea and studied some of Jacques Cousteau’s Black holes back in the day I think we can do this bigger and better!!! Use to shave my head in the shape of an anchor!! Haha let’s do this @Hemmdog and @Bleigh
That sounds amazing! I’m an adv scuba diver, love coral, good at finance, big fan of boats and islands. Let’s gooooo!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was an amazing time in my life. I wrote some amazing poetry, learned to navigate by the stars and with a sextant and how to survive on the open water for months without seeing land. Made lifelong friends. Did some amazing research of the shrinking reefs and survived swells larger than the Home I currently live in. The top of Kilimanjaro was spectacular but the sea reminds us how insignificant we truly are and the awe inspiring power and majesty of the oceans have NO rival!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds amazing! I’m an adv scuba diver, love coral, good at finance, big fan of boats and islands. Let’s gooooo!

Exploring uninhabited islands was phenomenal and some reminded me of gilligans island lagoon and all. And the snorkeling was great.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an amazing time in my life. I wrote some amazing poetry, learned to navigate by the stars and with a sextant and how to survive on the open water for months without seeing land. Made lifelong friends. Did some amazing research of the shrinking reefs and survived swells larger than the Home I currently live in. The top of Kilimanjaro was spectacular but the sea reminds us how insignificant we truly are and the awe inspiring power and majesty of the oceans have NO rival!
Well said!! Sign me up!

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry... I have to be a nerd... When I would teach my students how to use sextants, I would always give them a talk about not horse playing and being careful not to poke themselves in the eye... "Basically, Im trying to tell y'all to practice safe sextanting." Always got a ton of groans, but I liked the joke.

That actually sounds just as terrible as it does amazing. Terribly amazing.... not attempting a joke with that one, FTR.

Avast
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exploring uninhabited islands was phenomenal and some reminded me of gilligans island lagoon and all. And the snorkeling was great.
I lived on a 89ft sport Fisher in grand Bahama island one summer in college, loveeeed finding uninhabited islands and exploring. So much fun. That was a great summer... dang.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back