Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats good you can smell a tank not cycled. anyway never mind that, that was just if the 10g tank is ready. You should be doing a 10G water change on your 16g tank
Yes I’m taking out water now but idk how much. I’m halfway thru a 5g bucket so far. Can I use the water from the 10g since I already put it in there? It’s new water and a new tank but I did put the LR in there and the LR was in the bucket which is where 5g of the water came from that’s in the 10g. Can I use it to refill 16g??

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After water change, see if you can take a water sample to a trusted pet store that does Znot use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and for comparison with yours

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After water change, see if you can take a water sample to a trusted pet store that does Znot use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and for comparison with yours
I will do that definitely hopefully I can get there tomorrow I work till 6:30 but I’ll do my best to hurry after work. Urchin is moving less. About to refill water

Top Shelf Aquatics

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about urchins but you need to prioritise what you want to do. Sorting out the Aiptasia and Cyano is way down your list of priorities at the moment.

First thing is to sort out the absolute basics IMO, starting with salinity and temp. You said you don't have a thermometer but this is essential; you don't need anything fancy - you can get them from a pet store for $3-4 which will be better than nothing. You need to make sure your heater is set correctly (and working). You then need to slowly correct the salinity to where you want it.

A water change is a good idea, but only if you can get the salinity and temperature matched. In a small tank you will provide even more shock if the temperature or salinity of the new water is different.

Once the temp and salinity are correct, and stable, you can then move on to asking questions about the other stuff.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes I’m taking out water now but idk how much. I’m halfway thru a 5g bucket so far. Can I use the water from the 10g since I already put it in there? It’s new water and a new tank but I did put the LR in there and the LR was in the bucket which is where 5g of the water came from that’s in the 10g. Can I use it to refill 16g??
Take 1/3 out and be sure the new water is same temperature as that in your display tank
Mix at 1.027…… that when added should brink you to 1,024-1,025
Add some bio spira also

AS

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am off to bed. Good luck with the urchin. Stay calm and it will get sorted out before long. The tank needs some work and you need to pay attention to the parameters, but with a little effort you can get it in shape and enjoy it again soon. This is solvable.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already put the new water in…… it’s not the same temp… I didn’t know it had to be the same temp I thought the heater would take care of that. So I already filled it back up and it was about 3-4 g I think. Lots of stuff suspended in the tank and very cloudy…

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if this helps anyone but it’s all dusty looking. Maybe sand idk. Gonna put the pump back on maybe it’ll heat faster

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that does not harm sea water
Oh ok thank you, the LFS guy who I got it from said if I get water from them it needs to be used immediately because if it sits then all the particulates will come out and cause a problem or whatever. But I also didn’t really care for the last experience I had with him so idk if he’s even qualified at this point to tell me anything

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take 1/3 out and be sure the new water is same temperature as that in your display tank
Mix at 1.027…… that when added should brink you to 1,024-1,025
Add some bio spira also
Also I don’t have a way to mix it’s all bought from LFS

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put it all in, turned in the pump, and water level was above the MAX line which causes water to flow OVER the middle chamber (filter) so I took a little out and then suddenly the filter spits out air so idk what’s wrong with this pump but I’m just getting frustrated at this point like I’m doing it wrong I think idk

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing salinity?

What is the salinity of the water that you're getting from the LFS?
Tank (after putting new water in) is still showing 1.021 but I had to turn the pump off cuz the air spitting out. One bucket from LFS was 1.024 and the other one was 1.023 and the 3rd one which has a lot of crap floating in it and I didn’t use is at 1.024

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back