+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Friends!
Long story short- I have a used 90g and we’re moving in 6 months, so I want to use that time to purchase some high quality used equipment, kind of a “bang-for-buck” approach with more bells and whistles than I may actually need.
what I have:
1) 90g rectangle
2) 20-30g sump in kind of rough shape, looks to be a DIY, I can replace but would like to just make it work to spend money elsewhere
3) 2 Kessil 160s (tuna blue)
4) output motor, power head, plumbing, 3 heaters…
5) about 40-50lbs of live rock that I’ll need to clean- willing to over-clean to avoid critters/algae.

it was a fb marketplace buy for a steal- I’m assuming most is sub-par equipment except for the lights.

Here are my thoughts-
I would like to spend more money to lessen maintenance time- my job is 60+ hours a week, so more money up front to lessen headaches is worth it. It just needs to be used equipment- $500 on a power head is beyond realistic for me, regardless how good it is.
I plan on mainly LPS, Zoas, torches, the fun stuff, but I would also like just a few SPS for the sake of trying eventually once established. Then some fishes that are focused on simple, utilitarian, reef safe, friendly, etc.

1) I would like to get another, good light. I’m thinking either AI Hydra or Radion (I’ve seen G3s in my budget, but would that be smart considering the lack of modern updates/control issues?)- shooting for around $250-300 for a good light, I’ve seen that on this R2R marketplace. Heard radion was best, but lack of control seems frustrating.

2) I would like a good protein skimmer
3) powerheads, heaters, ato, etc- I would like to get all the things that have a control with them so I can organize/track things effectively.
4) I would like things like a refugium, filter floss roller, etc… but is that unrealistic for starting out, or would it be worth it to bite the bullet because it will reduce headaches over time?

-what else should I be considering?
-what are the brands/models you’d recommend?
-What should I buy new vs used in regards to bang-for-buck?
- what would you wish you would have just spent the money on earlier to avoid headaches?

Ill attach some photos of the tank and sump.
Thank you all so much- this is the most expensive yet relaxing/mesmerizing hobby I’ve found in a while, and I’d like to do it right without spending $5k+ to make it happen. Yalls input will be listened to!

FF1C77BA-D5B8-4498-B63C-1E33D823E854.png A83A082D-0F42-4B84-9939-45051257BF33.png 47C0F6EC-9E83-4B97-8355-EF61D604A896.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

Calebd91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a good start, as long as tank and stand are solid then the options to upgrade really is based off equipment selection.
I just did a build on a 90g as well. Got tank and stand used an refinished the stand and new bigger cabinet doors, etc.

Here is my opinion on your questions based on my research on here for months, take it for what it’s worth as I’m still new to the hobby (closing in on 2nd year).

1) I would like to get another, good light. I’m thinking either AI Hydra or Radion (I’ve seen G3s in my budget, but would that be smart considering the lack of modern updates/control issues?)- shooting for around $250-300 for a good light, I’ve seen that on this R2R marketplace. Heard radion was best, but lack of control seems frustrating.

The Kessils I believe are perfect for starting out with some softies and hardier LPS, and then upgrade when you get established I found a pair of used hydra 32s for $400. They are on here used very often.

For initial cycle a skimmer isn’t necessary but again as start to get established then there are several options to be found used on here. I run a reef octopus 150sss an it seems to be matched well for size tank
3) powerheads, heaters, ato, etc- I would like to get all the things that have a control with them so I can organize/track things effectively.

I would very much recommend at minimum spend some decent money on heaters, I say heaters instead of heater because 2 smaller is better than 1 large in my opinion. The extra redundancy is worth it. And match them with a Inkbird controller. BRS has a nice combo pack. I run a pair of their titanium units with wifi ink bird.
As far as powerheads, I Havnt seen the need for a $300+ unit yet. I only Have experience with jabaeo units, 2 SLW-10s and 2 SLW-30s in my 90g and 2 SLW-5s in 24g cube. All run flawless and silent and have controller with settings etc.
ATO is a must have, I run thru about 5 gallons a week. I use the AutoAqua on both tanks and have no issues with them. But most recommend the tunze for little more $$

4) I would like things like a refugium, filter floss roller, etc… but is that unrealistic for starting out, or would it be worth it to bite the bullet because it will reduce headaches over time?

Refugium can come later as you find that you need more nutrient export, I Havnt fired up mine yet nor needed to. Fleece rollers I have no experience with but they do seem to have their pros and cons. I just stick to filter sock changes every 4 days. Wash/rinse repeat and fairly cheap.
You mentioned wanting to spend more money on less maintaince so a roller may be something to consider, as well as maybe an apex unit with trident for automated testing. Although I don’t have any experience with them. Seem to be some love/hate with them. Im personally looking at running a hydros setup. Invest in good testing equipment as well. A search on here will show all the favorite kits for each parameter. I run Hannah checkers for everything except magnesium. Little pricey for them but I don’t have to mess with matching colors and guessing and as long as reagents don’t vary to much then I get consistent results i feel like I can trust

- what would you wish you would have just spent the money on earlier to avoid headaches?

I tried to list each brand of equipment I have used with good luck. You can find lots of info on almost anything on here.

I purchased a new (scratch and dent) trigger systems sump as I like the layout and quality. But you can run a 20 long with baffle kit for less money with some time and diy skills. I also ran all new plumbing as well as return pump so i didn’t have any failures from used equipment that may have not been cleaned an maintained well.
That covers most all the big items, of course your budget is the biggest deciding factor on lot of your choices for equipment but I think I hit the middle of the road with everything.
Good luck and looking foward to your build!
I’ll include a pic of my setup

Attachments

• 0A293C8D-17F3-4C5E-85F2-CDDE98E2D926.jpeg
    0A293C8D-17F3-4C5E-85F2-CDDE98E2D926.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 11
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
C

carpenter4875

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a good start, as long as tank and stand are solid then the options to upgrade really is based off equipment selection.
I just did a build on a 90g as well. Got tank and stand used an refinished the stand and new bigger cabinet doors, etc.

Here is my opinion on your questions based on my research on here for months, take it for what it’s worth as I’m still new to the hobby (closing in on 2nd year).

The Kessils I believe are perfect for starting out with some softies and hardier LPS, and then upgrade when you get established I found a pair of used hydra 32s for $400. They are on here used very often.

For initial cycle a skimmer isn’t necessary but again as start to get established then there are several options to be found used on here. I run a reef octopus 150sss an it seems to be matched well for size tank

I would very much recommend at minimum spend some decent money on heaters, I say heaters instead of heater because 2 smaller is better than 1 large in my opinion. The extra redundancy is worth it. And match them with a Inkbird controller. BRS has a nice combo pack. I run a pair of their titanium units with wifi ink bird.
As far as powerheads, I Havnt seen the need for a $300+ unit yet. I only Have experience with jabaeo units, 2 SLW-10s and 2 SLW-30s in my 90g and 2 SLW-5s in 24g cube. All run flawless and silent and have controller with settings etc.
ATO is a must have, I run thru about 5 gallons a week. I use the AutoAqua on both tanks and have no issues with them. But most recommend the tunze for little more $$

Refugium can come later as you find that you need more nutrient export, I Havnt fired up mine yet nor needed to. Fleece rollers I have no experience with but they do seem to have their pros and cons. I just stick to filter sock changes every 4 days. Wash/rinse repeat and fairly cheap.
You mentioned wanting to spend more money on less maintaince so a roller may be something to consider, as well as maybe an apex unit with trident for automated testing. Although I don’t have any experience with them. Seem to be some love/hate with them. Im personally looking at running a hydros setup. Invest in good testing equipment as well. A search on here will show all the favorite kits for each parameter. I run Hannah checkers for everything except magnesium. Little pricey for them but I don’t have to mess with matching colors and guessing and as long as reagents don’t vary to much then I get consistent results i feel like I can trust

I tried to list each brand of equipment I have used with good luck. You can find lots of info on almost anything on here.

I purchased a new (scratch and dent) trigger systems sump as I like the layout and quality. But you can run a 20 long with baffle kit for less money with some time and diy skills. I also ran all new plumbing as well as return pump so i didn’t have any failures from used equipment that may have not been cleaned an maintained well.
That covers most all the big items, of course your budget is the biggest deciding factor on lot of your choices for equipment but I think I hit the middle of the road with everything.
Good luck and looking foward to your build!

I’ll include a pic of my setup

Man, that was such a great and well thought out response. Thank you for taking the time to write that. I’ll look into each of those recommendations- they sound pretty in-line to my thinking.

Fishman718

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that was such a great and well thought out response. Thank you for taking the time to write that. I’ll look into each of those recommendations- they sound pretty in-line to my thinking.
捕获.PNG

It has been working for half years. Saved a lot of time for me. I didn't shot any pics. Here is a Sketch up.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back