Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with fresh, about 10x cheaper and much less maintenance, I say that as someone who has about 500 gal of salt and about the same fresh
I've heard this from people only to find out they don't even do water changes on their FW tanks and feed once a week or less. Not implying that's the case for you, but fresh isn't always hands-off. Depends totally on the setup... I'm used to axolotls which are absolutely filthy. Yeah I can use tap water, but mine is algae heaven, so it isn't that helpful. I'm not the sort to be scared off by maintenance.

As far as cost goes, my budget is the same either way. If I do end up choosing fresh, the money I'd have spent on live rock, salt, tests, and so on would be going towards extra plants and hardscape. Need new heaters, substrate etc. regardless. Would probably be buying a canister, and stocking more expensive/challenging species. Would likely still get the RO/DI too.

My choices are complex FW or basic SW. Big spending has to happen either way, but I have 4 other fresh tanks... always wanted to try salt and I'm okay with putting in the extra resources

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this from people only to find out they don't even do water changes on their FW tanks and feed once a week or less. Not implying that's the case for you, but fresh isn't always hands-off. Depends totally on the setup... I'm used to axolotls which are absolutely filthy. Yeah I can use tap water, but mine is algae heaven, so it isn't that helpful. I'm not the sort to be scared off by maintenance.

As far as cost goes, my budget is the same either way. If I do end up choosing fresh, the money I'd have spent on live rock, salt, tests, and so on would be going towards extra plants and hardscape. Need new heaters, substrate etc. regardless. Would probably be buying a canister, and stocking more expensive/challenging species. Would likely still get the RO/DI too.

My choices are complex FW or basic SW. Big spending has to happen either way, but I have 4 other fresh tanks... always wanted to try salt and I'm okay with putting in the extra resources

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who thinks SW is waaaay easier than FW. When I think of FW I think of water changes, vacuuming, and algae.

My SW tank is basically plug and play. I scrape the glass a couple times of week with my magnet and then top off my ATO once a week but besides that basically nothing. A small water change once every 2 or 3 months. The thing about SW is you create a self sustaining ecosystem that can really stand in its own for the most part.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who thinks SW is waaaay easier than FW. When I think of FW I think of water changes, vacuuming, and algae.

My SW tank is basically plug and play. I scrape the glass a couple times of week with my magnet and then top off my ATO once a week but besides that basically nothing. A small water change once every 2 or 3 months. The thing about SW is you create a self sustaining ecosystem that can really stand in its own for the most part.

You are not alone, I would love a high tech discus tank but that is too much work :winking-face-with-tongue:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I of course have nothing to compare it to but yeah... I'm always a little surprised when I see people talk about how easy freshwater is. My axolotls are poop factories, as are my livebearers, and my tap water grows all manner of algae that I'm constantly cleaning. Heard someone say they changed the water in their filterless 10gal once a year. That just seems like bad practice to me, regardless of test results.

Another thing... SW failures may be more expensive, but no failure is cheap. Just because FW is generally more tolerant doesn't mean I play with fire. I get attached to my stock and individuals can't be replaced. In the case of my axolotls, they're sensitive and aren't half of what they used to cost --- failures happen easily, and in a tank with 2 or 3 'lotls, that can be really expensive. Especially for rarer morphs that even in the cheap days cost $100+, and worse still when you consider shipping.

I love naturalistic, self-sustaining tanks. My 5.5g betta tank is totally filterless and is its own little ecosystem. Minimal algae, but when it does grow I get some awesome microscope samples from it. Never had one issue with the cycle or stability. I could leave it for weeks and it would do great. I still do a lot of tinkering with it though, just to keep it tidy.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not alone, I would love a high tech discus tank but that is too much work :winking-face-with-tongue:
Discus are a great example of "not all freshwater is easy"! I really do believe it's too conditional to say one is inherently easier than the other.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discus are a great example of "not all freshwater is easy"! I really do believe it's too conditional to say one is inherently easier than the other.

I looked into trying some but then realized that water changes were recommended...

No No No GIF

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think starting low tech, low budget makes a better experience in the hobby overall.I started in this hobby when I had to scrape together money to buy things but, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Diy projects and constantly changing/adapting tanks are what make this fun for me. I would have been bored of this hobby long ago if i had all the money to buy all the high tech equipment from the beginning. I have had reef tanks for the past 8 or so years and have just now started using a protein skimmer(most on here think its the second most essential piece of equipment) Start slow and enjoy it its NOT that hard!
This is awesome to hear! Thanks. I'm with you, making it a long-term project and expanding as I go keeps me engaged. Gives me a goal to work towards and I enjoy the novelty. Unfortunately, I can't afford to set up a new tank every time I feel inspired. :face-with-tongue:

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply adding to the pile here, but you can totally run a saltwater tank with the basic equipment you've listed and very minimal care up front. Live rock will make your life easier, a sump is nice but not necessary, etc. I'm not here to mime the other half of the forum.
Instead, I suggest you try something wacky with the stocking. You can't put much in a tank with such low power filtration, probably 3-4 smaller fish or 2 larger ones, so why in Hades would you buy basic-sauce fish that everyone has? I suggest you try and find something neat to keep in there, such as an eel or frogfish. They're similar to Axolotls in that they actively hunt prey and generally have a lot more personality than other fish. They are usually more expensive on a per-fish basis, but you'd be buying multiple fish otherwise and it'd balance out.
I see you're in Atlanta! The Atlanta Reef Club has a frag swap coming up on the 29th of April where there will be a garage sale table full of free stuff. Last swap I snagged a working T5 assembly and some corals, so that could be a great option for you budget-wise. Plus, you'll connect with local reefers who will more than likely also give you free stuff and firsthand tips.
Regardless, good luck on your journey! This hobby is the best, I've been keeping reefs for 9 years and I learn something new every day.
have a wonderful day and God bless.

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not something I would consider if I was on a tight budget and had to save money for college. Sure it can be done, but why put yourself in that position if you haven’t started yet ?

I vote you stay in freshwater for now and when you start your career and have the budget for it, then go all in.

Unless…. you can resist the urge to get corals and you just do a FOWLR tank. Just fish, no corals. Then that’s more doable. But still a lot more trouble and expense than freshwater.

Avast

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome to hear! Thanks. I'm with you, making it a long-term project and expanding as I go keeps me engaged. Gives me a goal to work towards and I enjoy the novelty. Unfortunately, I can't afford to set up a new tank every time I feel inspired. :face-with-tongue:

Go for it mate! NCcoastalreefer has hit the nail on the head. That’s the soul of the reef keeping hobby right there.

It’s easy to forget that this hobby has strong roots in DIY and resourcefulness. It wasn’t always a case of add to cart and click buy.

You’ve had a few discouraging responses here but don’t underestimate the helpfulness and generosity that still exists in the hobby. Connect with some local reefers, most will be happy to help you out if you’re keen, enthusiastic and on a budget.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply adding to the pile here, but you can totally run a saltwater tank with the basic equipment you've listed and very minimal care up front. Live rock will make your life easier, a sump is nice but not necessary, etc. I'm not here to mime the other half of the forum.
Instead, I suggest you try something wacky with the stocking. You can't put much in a tank with such low power filtration, probably 3-4 smaller fish or 2 larger ones, so why in Hades would you buy basic-sauce fish that everyone has? I suggest you try and find something neat to keep in there, such as an eel or frogfish. They're similar to Axolotls in that they actively hunt prey and generally have a lot more personality than other fish. They are usually more expensive on a per-fish basis, but you'd be buying multiple fish otherwise and it'd balance out.
I see you're in Atlanta! The Atlanta Reef Club has a frag swap coming up on the 29th of April where there will be a garage sale table full of free stuff. Last swap I snagged a working T5 assembly and some corals, so that could be a great option for you budget-wise. Plus, you'll connect with local reefers who will more than likely also give you free stuff and firsthand tips.
Regardless, good luck on your journey! This hobby is the best, I've been keeping reefs for 9 years and I learn something new every day.
have a wonderful day and God bless.
Woah, some really great info here! Thanks so much! Had no idea about the frag swap, or the ATL Reef Club for that matter. Hopefully I can make it though --- I may be out of town on the 29th! :anguished-face:

I definitely planned on understocking my tank to begin with, no big deal to me as if anything DOES happen, it won't be quite as costly as if I went all out. Wasn't sure if an eel would fit my tank but was going to research it later, and frogfish are awesome, didn't even consider them! I love the more basic fish but I'm a real fan of the bigger, more personable ones.

As for the live rock: I want to get this taken care of first. I've seen some people say to avoid dry outright, and others to seed it with live. Which way is better? I don't plan on stocking right away, although I can if that would be better.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it mate! NCcoastalreefer has hit the nail on the head. That’s the soul of the reef keeping hobby right there.

It’s easy to forget that this hobby has strong roots in DIY and resourcefulness. It wasn’t always a case of add to cart and click buy.

You’ve had a few discouraging responses here but don’t underestimate the helpfulness and generosity that still exists in the hobby. Connect with some local reefers, most will be happy to help you out if you’re keen, enthusiastic and on a budget.
Overall I couldn't be happier with all the advice I've gotten! I was honestly expecting to be told to just forget it. I feel a lot less intimidated now. It's hard to find information when you don't know what you're looking for, lol.

I think the less encouraging responses meant well anyway. I know it's a big task that can be, and often is, underestimated. I want to be prepared for the reality, and I accept that failure is always a risk. With enough research and planning though I feel I can make it work for sure.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, some really great info here! Thanks so much! Had no idea about the frag swap, or the ATL Reef Club for that matter. Hopefully I can make it though --- I may be out of town on the 29th! :anguished-face:

I definitely planned on understocking my tank to begin with, no big deal to me as if anything DOES happen, it won't be quite as costly as if I went all out. Wasn't sure if an eel would fit my tank but was going to research it later, and frogfish are awesome, didn't even consider them! I love the more basic fish but I'm a real fan of the bigger, more personable ones.

As for the live rock: I want to get this taken care of first. I've seen some people say to avoid dry outright, and others to seed it with live. Which way is better? I don't plan on stocking right away, although I can if that would be better.

As much ocean liverock as you can get! If you want a stable ecosystem within a month or less then ocean liverock is impossible to beat.

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd definitely recommend it! Great community of people who are always willing to help out.

Depending on the species, an eel could work. Something like a chainlink or skeletor eel will stay relatively small (golden dwarfs are perfect, but often over $500), a glass lid would be a necessity for that though. Frogfish are my favorite 'pet' SW fish. The only issue with them is feeding, as they often need live saltwater fish or shrimp until they can be weaned onto frozen, however they only eat once every 2-3 weeks so it's minimal hassle.

I've started tanks both ways, but I would always prefer full live if not for the risk of pests. My current main display was started with CaribSea 'Liferock' and some live from the previous setup, and I can boldly say do not make my mistake. That stuff is like concrete and I had a lot of trouble with algae in the beginning. If you've got to do dry, do something like Pukani and seed with live + bottled bacteria.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much ocean liverock as you can get! If you want a stable ecosystem within a month or less then ocean liverock is impossible to beat.
Okay! Is there a hard minimum of how much I need? Want to be sure I don't underbuy. I'm not opposed to using a bit of dry rock to buffer the cost a little, but I don't want to do that if it'll cause problems.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely recommend it! Great community of people who are always willing to help out.

Depending on the species, an eel could work. Something like a chainlink or skeletor eel will stay relatively small (golden dwarfs are perfect, but often over $500), a glass lid would be a necessity for that though. Frogfish are my favorite 'pet' SW fish. The only issue with them is feeding, as they often need live saltwater fish or shrimp until they can be weaned onto frozen, however they only eat once every 2-3 weeks so it's minimal hassle.

I've started tanks both ways, but I would always prefer full live if not for the risk of pests. My current main display was started with CaribSea 'Liferock' and some live from the previous setup, and I can boldly say do not make my mistake. That stuff is like concrete and I had a lot of trouble with algae in the beginning. If you've got to do dry, do something like Pukani and seed with live + bottled bacteria.
Glass lid is no problem, I can get one cut. Although, does it have to be actual glass? Maybe that's a stupid question. I've got butterfingers, LOL.

Hmm, good to know about the live feeding. I'll look into it! If it's only temporary it may be doable.

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! Is there a hard minimum of how much I need? Want to be sure I don't underbuy. I'm not opposed to using a bit of dry rock to buffer the cost a little, but I don't want to do that if it'll cause problems.

I would personally look at KP aquatics starter rock. It’s shipped to your door overnight and actually pretty affordable. You can also check out the “treasure chest” section on Tampa bay saltwater website for affordable options sent straight to your door. If you decided to take the Plunge and order a lot (say 30 or 40lbs) both companies will airfreight it in water straight to your nearest airport where you can pick it up in only a few hours! They will both work with you to set up your perfect package.

Dry rock can definitely be added but I recommend as much ocean rock as you can do. The dry rock will grow algae and stuff and just won’t be as attractive for several months until it becomes “live” over time.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally look at KP aquatics starter rock. It’s shipped to your door overnight and actually pretty affordable. You can also check out the “treasure chest” section on Tampa bay saltwater website for affordable options sent straight to your door. If you decided to take the Plunge and order a lot (say 30 or 40lbs) both companies will airfreight it in water straight to your nearest airport where you can pick it up in only a few hours! They will both work with you to set up your perfect package.

Dry rock can definitely be added but I recommend as much ocean rock as you can do. The dry rock will grow algae and stuff and just won’t be as attractive for several months until it becomes “live” over time.
Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I was already planning on getting around that much live rock.

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I was already planning on getting around that much live rock.

As someone who has had plenty of both types of rock I mentioned I would personally recommend KP aquatics for my main source and then I would add some Tampa bay stuff to supplement. Good luck. If you are curious click on my build thread badge, I have lots of info regarding ocean live rock tanks there.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back