Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t listen. I kinda thought I was doomed from the beginning as well. Does that mean it nuked my tank? Or did I get it out in time. It was still attached to the rock very hard.

If it was stuck to rock you should be fine. I would do a 10% WC just to be safe.

AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

josvanmeer

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was trying to eat pellets that fell on him earlier but spat it out. should I try and host my clownfish in it right now so they could help maybe??

I had an RBTA for 2 months and my Maroon clownfish took to it from day one, and he molested it till it died. Honestly I would try to keep it separated till it's established. My RBTA was pretty young, and it could not take the Maroon's violent rubbing. Other clown types are less aggressive hosts, but still could annoy the RBTA and keep it stressed 24/7

BRS
OP
OP
dylanjk

dylanjk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an RBTA for 2 months and my Maroon clownfish took to it from day one, and he molested it till it died. Honestly I would try to keep it separated till it's established. My RBTA was pretty young, and it could not take the Maroon's violent rubbing. Other clown types are less aggressive hosts, but still could annoy the RBTA and keep it stressed 24/7
My clownfish didn’t host it

AquaCave Logo Banner

mindme

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm Wrong, not a arbitrary date!

I disagree. It's completely arbitrary and doesn't really address the requirements.

I put mine in it's current tank with the tank being less than 1 month old. Went past the 6 month mark that many cite and is doing great. And it's in a 29 gallon. I run a skimmer and a UV light filter.

Cases of cyano: 0
Cases of algae outbreaks: 0
Cases of anything: 0

Why did it work? Because I didn't overstock the tank with a bunch of other stuff. The tank is the anemone, 2 clownfish it hosts and then a few frags off my other tank like some zoa's, a hammer coral, finger leather, etc. The entire tank is solely for the anemone. Very low bioload, very little to stablize, very little change over time. Vs what most people do in new tanks which is overstock it with a ton of fish, over feed, which leads to cyano, algae, and other outbreaks.

6 months doesn't bring a magical stability fairy. And it doesn't magically give good husbandry habits either.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a green bubble tip dont mix with rose. I've always had bra hide for a week to a month or more til they feel comfortable.
giphy.gif

josvanmeer

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a green bubble tip dont mix with rose. I've always had bra hide for a week to a month or more til they feel comfortable.
The color has nothing to do with that, anemones can sense each other and can fight over territory. This works for all anemone types, you just happened to be a different color of the same type of anemone.

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we're talking reef tanks. not anemone tanks. totally different bio-loads? One can learn alot in 6 months.:):)
I have three separate mixed reef tanks (all on totally different and independent systems) and two of them have BTAs. All tanks were set up about 4 months ago with the nems being in there for the latter 2 months. One BWBTA and one RBTA, both are doing fine. IME 6 months before a nem isn’t a hard set rule, nems being able to go into tanks should be on a tank by tank basis, with the 6 months thing as a rule of thumb. Here’s the RBTA, happy as anything.
07F4F925-8A26-4E4B-A559-ADD341688167.jpeg
3AE2D1AC-0A1C-4730-9655-F363202E64B6.jpeg
0AA44C90-6A86-4BCB-A789-14BA2C57C870.jpeg
E3F11750-76A2-403E-A5DE-E7F979153455.jpeg

Im definitely not advocating for everybody putting nems in this early, and I do feel as if my tanks are a special case, I’m just saying that it’s totally possible for a nem to live, grow, and thrive in a tank that is less than 6 months old. I started with wet live rock from a friend’s tank that was 20+ years old and the rocks had been in the sump for 5+ years. Also used his water change water to set up and cycle the tank (about a month). Never experienced any uglies or major algae outbreaks. I don’t think this is a method a lot of reefers can use, I’m just saying that it worked for me.

BRS

Webslinger

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three separate mixed reef tanks (all on totally different and independent systems) and two of them have BTAs. All tanks were set up about 4 months ago with the nems being in there for the latter 2 months. One BWBTA and one RBTA, both are doing fine. IME 6 months before a nem isn’t a hard set rule, nems being able to go into tanks should be on a tank by tank basis, with the 6 months thing as a rule of thumb. Here’s the RBTA, happy as anything. View attachment 1647481View attachment 1647482View attachment 1647483View attachment 1647484
Im definitely not advocating for everybody putting nems in this early, and I do feel as if my tanks are a special case, I’m just saying that it’s totally possible for a nem to live, grow, and thrive in a tank that is less than 6 months old. I started with wet live rock from a friend’s tank that was 20+ years old and the rocks had been in the sump for 5+ years. Also used his water change water to set up and cycle the tank (about a month). Never experienced any uglies or major algae outbreaks. I don’t think this is a method a lot of reefers can use, I’m just saying that it worked for me.

we're not saying it can't be done....just never works out well for the novice.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back