Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s been trying to get out for an hour now. He has his tentacles out but his body won’t squeeze out. Last 20 minutes zero progress. View attachment 3157779
It hasn't been "trying" to get out.
It's trying to get used to the water. Don't touch the rock it's in or on. They will move around the tank as they please, they're the cats of the tank. They have their own way of getting used to water and the changes in the water.
You wouldn't like your house being torn apart while you're trying to sleep after a 15 hour drive would you? That's basically what your doing with the rock it's in.

season 4 house GIF

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't been "trying" to get out.
It's trying to get used to the water. Don't touch the rock it's in or on. They will move around the tank as they please, they're the cats of the tank. They have their own way of getting used to water and the changes in the water.
You wouldn't like your house being torn apart while you're trying to sleep after a 15 hour drive would you? That's basically what your doing with the rock it's in.

season 4 house GIF
Should I put my tank lights on moon cycle like normally?? Or leave the blues on?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put my tank lights on moon cycle like normally?? Or leave the blues on?
whatever your normal light schedule is, leave it like that.

What makes you think it's stuck? if it got in the hole, it will get out by itself. they are basically like jello and can form and mould to any shape.
the foot can retract and so can the tentacles. So much so, that a 6"+ anemone can shrink to a 1" ball and inflate again to 6"+.

If you want the anemone to survive you need to leave it alone. otherwise it will, not maybe or possibly, but WILL die.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
Listen to everybody here. That anemone IS NOT STUCK. Leave it alone or you stress it even more so. Anemone, unlike coral will walk to where ever it like. BTA like to hide their foot in crevices and reach up and out from the crevices to catch light.
don’t do anything.
If you really feel that you have to do something then move and turn the rock so it can reach light. Do not try to remove it from the place it hide it’s foot. You just tear it and kill it.
LEAVE IT ALONE.

OP
OP
S

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all my research I never saw 1 video or post about BTA going into hiding in a tiny hole. Not one. Lots of videos said that sometimes they get stuck in your rock and you have to help them out. Had I known that it was normal I’d had not worried.
that’s obviously my lack of through research. Which is a mistake I won’t make again.

OP
OP
S

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poor animal is no different than a cat or a dog or a hamster. Ect. I amongst millions of pet owners think we can care for a creature but we really have no idea of what it takes. I am guilty of this…

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry. Anemones are composed mostly of water which they can release and take in, so they don't really get stuck. Even if it were stuck (which it isn't), it'd be able to deflate a bit by expelling water and then it could leave. Just let it be, it's perfectly capable of moving if needed. Trying to move it yourself will only stress it out further. Good luck with your new anemone!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the rock upside down so maybe his weight and movement will help him out

Why aren't you listening to the people posting here? I just don't get it - you ask for advice, then ignore it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your tank has only been up for 3 weeks.. hopefully that rock you got has a ton of bacteria built up in it to give the nem a fighting chance.. they do better in older and well established tanks.. Time will tell! Good luck..

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, enough! A number of posts have been removed. Reminder that we are a friendly forum and some good advice has been given. If you cannot add positive comments, please move on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
While many are trying to help, anemones do this when stressed. The best introduction is to turn off current for an hour or two to allow them to find a suitable and happy location. When they bury themselves in a rock as with yours, its often due to too much light or water flow.
Good news is with moderate light and flow, they will work themselves out eventually. As we humans have our own habits and desires, so do anemones and even some fish. One of the biggest causes of this are immature/newer tanks and it is often recommended to add an anemone to a tank of 4-6 months of age.
This hobby is a learning curve and I am optimistic it will come out in a couple of days

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just what they do! 3/4 of my nem is in a hole upside down lol.. he’s a good size when out and open. View attachment 3158122
My little guy is too, when I first placed him on the rock he completely disappeared down into it for a couple days

20230519_071242.jpg 20230519_071201.jpg

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

Bozburn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 BTA in my tank, I put them in and never touched them again. One of them disappeared and then reappeared under the rock formation on the other side of the tank from where I put it in, it has since moved 3 times to a spot it is comfortable with and is doing great.

The other one went inside a crease in my rock and now is huge and loving it. When the lights go down it contracts back into the tiny hole in the rock.

As everyone has said on here, just leave it alone. Let it do its thing. Have to have patience in this hobby.

Good luck.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back