+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've got the lid covered everywhere I can think of, maybe I need to double cover it or use tape in certain areas or something, I'm just so upset right now
They're strong, and often they knock the lids up and get out at same time. As mentioned , they are capable of breathing atmospheric air and not sure who others saying can die- These guys are opportunists and survivors.
I just saw recent pic and post and it appears its declining. Hitting Bare hard floor may not have helped.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Id rather not give this guy false hope, this eel is not breathing. Its not going to start breathing. If the eel was alive at this point I completely agree with you.
I saw and updated. Not as good of shape as the thread started out

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're strong, and often they knock the lids up and get out at same time. As mentioned , they are capable of breathing atmospheric air and not sure who others saying can die- These guys are opportunists and survivors.
I just saw recent pic and post and it appears its declining. Hitting Bare hard floor may not have helped.
not much has changed since I first put him back in, it's a glass lid, not the heaviest I guess I just didn't imagine he could lift it, going to leave him in there and see if a miracle happens

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
not much has changed since I first put him back in, it's a glass lid, not the heaviest I guess I just didn't imagine he could lift it, going to leave him in there and see if a miracle happens
Thats all you can do. If you have means to increase oxygen via air stone, it offers better chance but if gill pipes are sticking to each other- wont be good as the gills are covered with heavy protective mucus to release gases and if this is hindered, it will go downhill.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all you can do. If you have means to increase oxygen via air stone, it offers better chance but if gill pipes are sticking to each other- wont be good as the gills are covered with heavy protective mucus to release gases and if this is hindered, it will go downhill.
I removed as much of the excess slime as I could, his gills are unobstructed as of now, not sealed shut or anything either, gonna leave him and hope for the best

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I removed as much of the excess slime as I could, his gills are unobstructed as of now, not sealed shut or anything either, gonna leave him and hope for the best
You just never know. Over the years ive seen eels go to He*L and back and live a long time

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just never know. Over the years ive seen eels go to He*L and back and live a long time
idk if I'm hallucinating but I think I'm seeing the slightest bit of movement in his gills. I do know that they have for sure inflated compared to when this all started, before they were deflated, now they are atleast 50% inflated, there may be hope yet

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
idk if I'm hallucinating but I think I'm seeing the slightest bit of movement in his gills. I do know that they have for sure inflated compared to when this all started, before they were deflated, now they are atleast 50% inflated, there may be hope yet
Yep- will be slow and gradually approach normal respiration

BRS

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels wll swim from tidal pool to tidal pool at night eating what gets stuck in there for easy snacks. They def can breathe outside of water for a good while. My snow flake escaped in my old 150 with my wife having about 8 friends over and she called me to come home and get it. THey were all on the couch screaming when i came in and he had been out of the water about an hour. First he was slippery as hell to grab. Second i threw him back in tank and he hid for a day then he was fine. Your eel may be fine by the morning and may have went into some kind of coma to save oxygen.

BRS
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be a better idea to remove him from the box and let him move around to relieve stress?

Edit: or are there fish in there who will make a meal of his weakened state?
there's other eels, and clean up crew, he's just laying there as of last time i checked

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is put him back into his home and hope for the best. I wouldn't add anything to the tank. They can live longer than many think outside of water.

While it may be possible, it's unlikely he pushed through a glass lid, ribbons don't have the strength as some other eels may. Check every crack and crevice, these guys can literally squeeze through a paper thin crack. I tape the backend if my lids down where there's a slight crack between the border and the tank. Are your overflows covered, some eels have made it to floor via an overflow and into the sump, then onto the floor.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is put him back into his home and hope for the best. I wouldn't add anything to the tank. They can live longer than many think outside of water.

While it may be possible, it's unlikely he pushed through a glass lid, ribbons don't have the strength as some other eels may. Check every crack and crevice, these guys can literally squeeze through a paper thin crack. I tape the backend if my lids down where there's a slight crack between the border and the tank. Are your overflows covered, some eels have made it to floor via an overflow and into the sump, then onto the floor.
will keep him where he is and hope for the best

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will keep him where he is and hope for the best

Have you inspected the tank for any possible escape routes. My 1st eel found his way to the floor via the overflow of a hob filter. Every other crack and crevice was covered, just didn't think he would somehow swim up the overflow and out. Their nature is to explore, poking their noses into every crack and crevice, likely just looking for some food.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back