Don't Get a Tan, Get a Tank: Do you use a UV Sterilizer for your home reef?

Do you use a UV Sterilizer for your home reef? Why or why not?

• Yes.

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people associate UV with getting a nice tan or maybe a painful burn. But here in the reefing world, it's a little more complex than that. There are several benefits to using a UV Sterilizer in an aquarium. Still, one of the selling points is its ability to keep your tank free of pesky diseases and annoying algae, which, as we all know, are usually big problems in our hobby...

lot roommates GIF

armyvetheather

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone said to use UV but then I got ich while running two sterilizers at once so I'm not convinced it works. I will keep running them for now but once they stop working I highly doubt I'll replace them.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i used the smaller GKM in my 40B to help with dino's. it did the leg work while i rebalanced the tank's nutrients.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people associate UV with getting a nice tan or maybe a painful burn. But here in the reefing world, it's a little more complex than that. There are several benefits to using a UV Sterilizer in an aquarium. Still, one of the selling points is its ability to keep your tank free of pesky diseases and annoying algae, which, as we all know, are usually big problems in our hobby...

lot roommates GIF
Poll would have been interesting if the choices were more diverse.
Something like:
Yes all the time
Yes but only during pest outbreaks (ick dino)
No but I used it before but not anymore.

I was interested how many people use it all the time vs only when needed.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poll would have been interesting if the choices were more diverse.
Something like:
Yes all the time
Yes but only during pest outbreaks (ick dino)
No but I used it before but not anymore.

I was interested how many people use it all the time vs only when needed.
i would have been in the "only when need it". i have one thats sitting in closet, after dino outbreak.

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lot roommates GIF
So i added a small UV to my tank because i noticed a bacterial / algae bloom, i run it occasionally but would like to get to the point where i can decommission it, not sure my tank is stable enough right now though. :(

Edit - The UV 100% cleared up the bloom, but i run a fuge and i dont want to shutdown the microfauna.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run an oversized one 24/7. On the return line so it gets 100% of the water going through the sump. I run other tanks without one and the difference in water clarity is - well, you don't really notice that the water in the other tank is slightly cloudy unless you compare them. Kind of like when you pour tank water in a white bucket and look down and it's brown.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a UV sterilizer in the past with success. Like @blecki stated, there is a definite difference in the sharp clarity of the water. A UV sterilizer can also definitely help with either parasite control or nuisance algae but it is absolutely necessary that it is using the correct flow and watts for the application that you are using it for.
I personally have found that I can control ich by reducing stress, (use acclimating box or put in sump and feed well for a week or 2) with any new fish I introduce. I control nuisance algae by keeping ornamental macroalgae to out-compete nuisance algae. This is cheaper than buying and using a UV.

AlanS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lot roommates GIF
I have never used a UV sterilizer.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have posted -- I've only used small (in-tank) UV temporarily a couple/few times for specific issues,,, like ostreopsis dinos.
*never with any goal of controlling fish parasites and no room for permanent UV anyway

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, but just on the seahorse tank and only in combo with a chiller…
Why? because seahorse are prone to vibrio, I live in SC and vibrio becomes a issue over 77F

Also many folks purchase/use UV not realizing the annual cost and maintenance…You gotta wipe the quartz sleeve (or R&R it), change seals to name a few task/cost for a annual PM
(a 40w Lifegard is about $100 in annual maintenance & parts)

UVs also heat water somewhat, so if you ambient temps are borderline (over 80), I wouldn’t recommend w/o a chiller

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back