Over the Top: Do you have a lid on your aquarium?

Do you have a lid on your aquarium? (Tell us why or why not!)

• Yes, I have a lid on my aquarium.

Votes: 179 72.8%
  • No, I do not have a lid on my aquarium.

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • I don't currently, but I want to add one.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I don't, and I don't plan too.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Polymate3D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run smaller aquariums but I hate the idea of increased energy costs from the heat loss, especially in winter months.

It may well be that as I get corals that I am more open to a open top with a mesh.

Does anyone else focus a lot on the power usage of there aquariums? I check power draw against flow for pumps for example.

- Paul

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far back as I can remember have had lids regardless if fresh or salt to prevent escapes and later reduce evaporation. Last build had egg crate but going back to some form of plastic lid. Main going to be with same type of plastic lid. Once again to prevent jumpers and reduce evaporation plus keeps tank temps warmer requiring less heater wattage which will save electricity and reduce impact should thermostat stay stuck.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run smaller aquariums but I hate the idea of increased energy costs from the heat loss, especially in winter months.

It may well be that as I get corals that I am more open to a open top with a mesh.

Does anyone else focus a lot on the power usage of there aquariums? I check power draw against flow for pumps for example.

- Paul
Yes, I pay attention to power usage. I switched out my magdrive 9.5 return pump for a DC variable speed return pump because of lower electrical draw and less heat. Also I finally switched from T5 lighting to LED (even though I was very intimidated by LED) again for less electrical draw and cooler running.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearview lid on my ext 170 and one in the mail for my ext 50.
20240430_135424.jpg

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom lid that’s polycarbonate and mesh for my 75 g. If I were to do it again, I’d get it in 2 halves to keep one on while I was cleaning the other side. Right now, I take off the lid while cleaning and purchased a 2’ x 4’ piece of 1/4” plexi that’s cut in half and use that. Yes, I’ve lost fish to jumping while cleaning in the past.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lid is actually a DIY lid. I bought some mesh and a screen door kit from Home Depot, cut it all to size, and it works perfectly.

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an AIO so the lid came with our tank. I notice that a lot of people keep their lighting quite a bit higher off the water compared to the lights being inside the lid of our biocube. What is the reason for that?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We have an AIO so the lid came with our tank. I notice that a lot of people keep their lighting quite a bit higher off the water compared to the lights being inside the lid of our biocube. What is the reason for that?
Design. A lot of aftermarket leds are designed to cover a wide area and have lenses over them to make the spread wider. When you raise the unit higher, the covered area gets larger. These are also higher power leds that can handle increased distance to the bottom of the tank

If your biocube came with leds in the hood, they are smaller or lower powe leds designed for a shorter distance and smaller area

Sdbuehler1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works? I have a solid lid over my tank and the cat hair still gets in, LOL.
Its not 100% effective but based on the amount of hair I see sitting on top of it everyday it appears to be doing something. I just run one of those sticky tape lint rollers over it every now and then.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always keep a lid on my tank, as too much time/effort/$ is invested in keeping my fish to lose one by jumping. I built a DIY 1/4" clear mesh top with screen door framing and purchased custom made 3D printed cutouts (from an individual) that connect to the frame to allow me to pass electrical cords & the return thru the lid. I also installed a Neat Aquatics feeding portal, which I definitely recommend.

Reef Outfit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some fantastic-looking lids on this thread... I wish mine was one of them!

I got this DIY lid that looks like it was put together by my 8-year-old daughter. It was a nightmare to assemble, and even now, it still doesn't look or feel like a polished product. It feels like it's going to fall apart any time. I won't name names, but it’s from a major brand. Sadly, I'm sure many of us have had the same frustrating experience.

It kept falling into the water and almost giving my fish a heart attack! I swear, the lid made them want to jump out of the tank even more! And don't get me started on the mess it made—I’d end up with a soaked floor every time I tried to find a place to put it while feeding the fish.

Anyway, I dreaded dealing with that lid so much that I came up with a feeding port to avoid having to touch it:

Feeding small.jpg

Check out what this customer said: "This was a game changer for feeding your fish and not having to remove the top. Makes feeding the fish A LOT easier, that's for sure! Excellent product and super easy to install. Thanks again!"

It seems other reefers feel relieved too, and I’m very happy that what worked for me is working for them as well.

I’m not trying to sell anything with this post, just wanted to share a little true story about frustration with tank lids that has a happy ending, just to lift spirits.

Cheers.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back