Does separating two tangs work for aggression

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone so as many know I have a tang tank with what was 8 but 9 tangs now because I recently bought a Gem Tang about three weeks ago.
My problem is that out of all the tangs my purple and White cheek tangs were relentlessly bullying the Gem when I put it in and didn’t chill out to the point where I had to intervene after about two days of it being in there. So I banished them both to my sump and needless to say they have been in there going on week three. I was planning on waiting one more week to make it a month before reintroducing them back into the system so that way they have been isolated for a month. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this and how did it work out. My Gem is eating like a pig now and is starting to actually stand up for itself and now has its own territory/cave Which fortunately isn’t where the other two had their territory/ caves at. I was wondering if reintroduction with all my other tangs already still established will keep them distracted now or not because I have 1 Blue hippo tang, 1 yellow bellied hippo, 1 white tail Bristletooth tang, 1 Blonde Naso Tang, 2 yellow tangs, and then the one Gem and the other two make 9. Thanks for any advice/ suggestions!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a serious problem with Tang Admiration Syndrome. I also want a gem but after years of therapy and intense treatments I have been able to resist the store that currently has a dozen of them on sale for $399.00 each.

I would consider if I really wanted to keep the others, especially the Purple since they are known aggressors and currently not in the ring with the others.

I have been thinking about trading my Purple for the same issue.

Otherwise I would put the 2 back in now and hope for the best. We need pictures!

Good luck.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe have egg crate divider ready in case you need to separate them in the DT again.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of maybe the mirror technique to see if that worked because I have heard of great success with that as well

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s also a couple pics off my tangs from today

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 44

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullying with damage?
Bullying with no peace at all?
Or chase and stop, chase and stop?

Mine still do that here and there after years being together for 7 years. They like to keep their rank.

But nobody bites or swipes with contact. It’s a flash, a chase and then peace.

I see two big blues (wow that’s gutsy) but can’t see the purple. Likely hiding right now.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullying with damage?

Mine still do that here and there after years being together for 7 years. They like to keep their rank.

I see two big blues (wow that’s gutsy) but can’t see the purple. Likely hiding right now.
It was to the point where there was fin nipping from both of them and constant badgering which resulted in the poor gem being stuck in the corner constantly

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was to the point where there was fin nipping from both of them and constant badgering which resulted in the poor gem being stuck in the corner constantly
And yes the poor gems fins were ripped to shreds

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I noticed the constant trying to nip I decided to intervene before it got even worse and resulted in the Gems death

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullying with damage?

But they all do squabble from time to time but it’s like a couple seconds and then they swim in opposite directions which I know is totally normal as some of the tangs are smaller than other and still growing

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my water parameters are solid my mineral side is a little off but I plan on corals at some point in the future so that will correct because my elements are a little high but phosphate read .03 and nitrate stays around 5-10 and I also feed the tangs heavy but I have extensive filtration on the system with a reef octopus skimmer rated a little bigger than my tank and a reef mat and a refugium as well

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I noticed the constant trying to nip I decided to intervene before it got even worse and resulted in the Gems death
Completely agree!
I remove any fish that act like that.

My rule is set your heiarchy, get along, or back you go.

Out of 6 tangs, only the purple was returned.

There has been years of piece now.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they all do squabble from time to time but it’s like a couple seconds and then they swim in opposite directions which I know is totally normal as some of the tangs are smaller than other and still growing
All good this behaviour.
But no pinning, no contact, and no constant.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which like I said with my parameters at the levels they are that’s also not a stress point for the fish to want and attack each other because I know that sometimes water parameters tend to make things worse and could result in more aggression

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like they try to take things out on each other for things that the other fish can’t help or control

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like they try to take things out on each other for things that the other fish can’t help or control
They almost behave like people then?

It seems like there is plenty of room but I would be concerned like you are after seeing the earlier damage to the Gem.

Maybe try the mirror in the time out tank to get the bullies worn out before they come back? And of course have the mirror ready in the dt to help them figure out how to behave together.

Thanks for the pictures! :cool:

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They almost behave like people then?

It seems like there is plenty of room but I would be concerned like you are after seeing the earlier damage to the Gem.

Maybe try the mirror in the time out tank to get the bullies worn out before they come back? And of course have the mirror ready in the dt to help them figure out how to behave together.

Thanks for the pictures! :cool:
Yes the tank is a 6 feet long 125 gallon with about another 40 gallons underneath with sump and refugium

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back