Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Deltec

ggNoRe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at your 200 Penn build thread - was it that tank that had the Dinos? If so, any adverse reactions from your coral?
This time around the dinoflagellates had no effects on the coral. Almost all the visible dinoflagellates stay on the sand. In the past they were much worse and strings would wrap around my rocks and corals causing damage.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted in my build thread about this but i noticed various tiny spots around my rocks that I believe is the start of dinos. Where it is early enough I think I have a decent shot of eradicating them before they completely engulf my tank. I have shutoff my skimmer and will be removing my carbon when I get home as well as doing a 24hr blackout tomorrow.

Time and time again spending money on extra filtration and being too involved with my tank comes back to bite me in the butt. Honestly as a community should 'the meta' of reefkeeping even be suggested to have skimmers, gfo, and carbon in your tank? Couple those with routine husbandry and you nuke nutrients causing dinos and potentially destroying your tank. Unless you are way overfeeding advanced filtration is completely unnecessary. I wish I had just used a tiny bag of carbon as my only filtration. It is infinitely easier to deal with too much waste than the effects of too little. So frustrating.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1684884366616.png
1684884460910.png
Very early stage outbreak of what I originally thought to be dinos. Tank has been up for almost 2 months. Can see the rust color particularly in the first pic starting to form. Ive had diatoms for several weeks but this is different. I have been blasting what I can off with a turkey baster. Flow was recently reduced to accommodate a more fragile fish...May try turning it back up to see if that helps. Any thoughts? Thinking it could be cyano.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been dealing with Large cell Amphs forever and I am losing my patience. They are located only on the sandbed. I have tried just about every recommended treatment. It's getting expensive and nothing helps.

UV
Adding fresh pods monthly
Phyto (2x per day for 6 months)
Manual removal every weekend (lost about half my sand in the process)
Microbacter7 - been dosing for 6 months
AquaBiomics rubble for diversity (added 2 weeks ago)
SpongExcel dosing
My Kessils are running almost entirely blue
Blackout days

Temp 80
Alk 8.2
Phos .11
Mag 1230
Cal 386

What am I missing?

ggNoRe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with Large cell Amphs forever and I am losing my patience. They are located only on the sandbed. I have tried just about every recommended treatment. It's getting expensive and nothing helps.

UV
Adding fresh pods monthly
Phyto (2x per day for 6 months)
Manual removal every weekend (lost about half my sand in the process)
Microbacter7 - been dosing for 6 months
AquaBiomics rubble for diversity (added 2 weeks ago)
SpongExcel dosing
My Kessils are running almost entirely blue
Blackout days

Temp 80
Alk 8.2
Phos .11
Mag 1230
Cal 386

What am I missing?
If I were you as long as they are not harming corals I would do nothing for one month and let them saturate the sand. Then in the night turkey baste them into the overflow and into a filter pad. Then remove the filter pad and do a 2 day blackout. Also the next day start a regimen of phyto and Microbacter dosing without turning the skimmer or uv back on until you turn your lights back on. This is what worked for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Echomsp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like some help with ID'ing what this might be.

250g tank ~6 years old
Temp 78.2
Salinity 34.8
pH 8.44
Ca 442
Alk 10.8
Mag 1400
Nitrate 34
Phosphate 0.03

It's on corals, rock, sand, high flow areas, low flow areas.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Coolia dinos
I've been running UV from and to the tank directly, vacuuming sand bed, blasting with turkey baster. I've been dosing NeoPhos, but unable to detect any amount of phosphate (Testing with Hanna).

I have removed filter socks and not running skimmer. Should I dose carbon? If so, do I need to run skimmer? Should I be using filter socks?

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back