Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin poisoning is rare. When you do hear about its about someone who scrubbed a ton of palythoa off a rock inside.

There are some venemous fish. Foxface being the most common. However catfish, lionfish, and even apparently tangs may have venemous spines. Also some blennies have a very strange venom in their bite. Pufferfish are deadly if eaten. Then there are things like cone snails, stone fish, blue glaucus that we will hopefully never see in our tanks.

However I'd say by far the most dangerous things about our tanks are:
  1. Infection from cuts (beware the vermetid snail)
  2. Fire from electrics
  3. Eletrocution
i actually stuck my hand in an empty tank and i was shocked so much i fell over

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
J

JFinlay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yawn... This is brought up a lot. If you can't hang get out of the game. Otherwise take reasonable precautions as needed, saltwater reef keeping is only as harmful as the individual can make it.
I’ve watched and read so much and feel like it’s barely touched on, and even when it is mentioned it’s only “just don’t touch this it might poison you” not it can literally kill you or change your life permanently. For now it’s just look and see what I’m doing, but In the future my 8yo will definitely want to get involved. Im not scared of my tank, just happy I looked into the “poison” a little more so I know to stay away from Zoas.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
J

JFinlay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning some breeds of dogs, like Pit Bulls or Rottweilers is far more dangerous. As a physician, I see every year, few patients badly bitten by dogs, so far never seen anyone bitten by goby or poisoned by palytoxin.
LOL you made me look up if Gobies were poisonous too! I guess the difference is everyone knows those breeds can be dangerous, that’s why I have golden retrievers instead
Zoas are pushed heavily as a “beginner” coral, and to me that’s just kind of a recipe for disaster, big chance a beginner doesn’t know to do as much research as someone experienced.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's are a beginner coral. Just wear gloves and eyewear when fragging.

My dummy cats sometimes drink the tank water and I have many zoa's... you think the salt would put them off.

The kid would need to be handling the zoa's or trying to eat them to pose a danger.

Nutramar Foods

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it isn’t pushed enough how dangerous some of what we can run into in our tank is? I just happened to read how if you touch a bristle worm it will feel like fiberglass in your skin for weeks. Or about how Zoas can produce the second most deadly naturally made toxin in the world?! Can someone clarify for me what other dangers I might look out for?
I’m sure I’m over exaggerating, but I have a 2 and 8 year old that love my tank. I want them to be involved. So Zoas are a NO GO for me seeing as the toxin can even go airborne. I watched a BRS video that casually mentioned they’re poisonous so thought I’d do some research. Wow
ok so i just want you to know this because this really freaked me out as well, i was anti zoa BUT.... now i have zoas. zoas will only release palytoxin when really stressed out. like scrubbing them (dont know why anyone would do that but...) zoas dont really have a lot of palytoxin or anything, it is mainly palythoas. i am not pressuring you into getting zoas but i would be fine as long as you dont mess with them that much. i was acctually exposed to a small amount of palytoxin when i had to remove a pest zoa but i was just a little lightheaded for 30 minutes. it was a such a small amount that it wasnt serious, i just drank a lot of water to help get it out of my system. thanks for taking your time to read this, depending on what (and if you had one) anemone you have, you might be at more risk for that then a zoa.

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent more on rocks than I did on the tank and stand crazy
If you are using all live rocks in your setup. Then your expense will triple jump :) I always tell people, you need to have lots of patient in this hobby and do thing slowly. One of the reason is we have to save up the money to increase the purchasing power ;)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back