Calling out all vendors... Ultra Rare Super Toxic Holy Garbage...

BRS

bigbugoutfitters

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering why when I first started the hobby as a broke high school kid I could afford torch corals and green polyp toadstools but now they seem crazy expensive. Even at the LFSs
As a college student making 9 an hour i had a 90 gallon with a bounce i got for 20, torches for 15 a head, and I remember getting a trachy for 80 and thinking it would be alright to eat pess for a while. That was from a LFS that I used to hang out at. But I remember buying from one retailer here that used to have tons of 5 dollar frags, mostly random mushrooms and other unnamed corals. It was a shock to find after 10 years that the site only had a couple frags under 30 and everything had names.

Corals.com
OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I participated in quite a few live sales and usually end up paying a lot less than other online stores or walking into WWC / LRO / TSA. You do have to weed through a lot of overpriced stuff and snipe the good deals fast. I do cringe when I see people paying $$$ for common frags they could have gotten cheaper elsewhere. The pricing between vendors are crazy. TCK had utter chaos for $1 a polyp. WWC sells them for $25 a polyp and people buy them right away from WWC. At the end of the day, you can't blame vendors if consumers are willing to pay the premium.

People keep complaining about coral prices but I see leftover $10 and $20 corals in live sales all the time.

Hobby isn't expensive. The issue is that people are cheap but want the high end stuff. You can fill a big tank with $10-$20 corals that will look amazing. No one forcing you to buy those $500 acros or $500 torches.

This thread is like people complaining Mercedes and Porches are expensive when all they need is a Hyundai....
An ultra og super rare Mercedes is def on my list to purchase

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to admit I am still flabbergasted by the extremely long list of thread participants whenever I "check in" on one of these almost daily live sales. Over and over. The majority of you guys definitely dig them. Why, I'll never really understand. But that's a topic for another thread.

Thing is, for every one thread like this, where we all blow steam and rant about the current state of things, and there are plenty, there are at least 5-10 active running live sale threads lol. As someone who was here before live sales existed, I can say with confidence, it has gotten silly. But as long as you guys keep going ga-ga over them, I'm afraid vendors that rely on them are going to keep doing them.
I appreciate your post. I'd love to chat more and look at what we can do to help smaller vendors that don't subscribe to this non sense.

ninjamyst

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your post. I'd love to chat more and look at what we can do to help smaller vendors that don't subscribe to this non sense.
Ok. I am super confused here. I love battlecorals. Got my first box during Black Friday....but isn't battlecorals the type of premium designer acros you are complaining about? They usually go for $100 a frag....

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I am super confused here. I love battlecorals. Got my first box during Black Friday....but isn't battlecorals the type of premium designer acros you are complaining about? They usually go for $100 a frag....
Battle corals doesn't specifically name the corals ultra Supreme anything. They don't do live sales. From what I understand have some of if not the best customer service in the hobby and are the most reasonable of all the online vendors. As a hobbyist $100 really is my max I'm willing to pay. And I've never personally sold anything over that mark. I feel anything higher is not justified. If nothing you have proven my point. $100 at a small good vendor versus $300 at some giant vendor sits much better with me...

AS

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last chance to get in on this one... I call it Bugatti Note Payment Torch. With a name like that you know it will get you insta likes and make you insta famous!

monophy (1).gif

*Gif will be delivered by next day email only. 8-bit fish not included. WYSINWYG. Product may vary in size and appearance but is guaranteed to be 8-bit. Display device not included. Waterproof not guaranteed and will depend on your display device of choice. Bitcoin only, no refunds no returns. DOA guaranteed.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last chance to get in on this one... I call it Bugatti Note Payment Torch. With a name like that you know it will get you insta likes and make you insta famous.!

View attachment 2952833
*Gif will be delivered by next day email only. 8-bit fish not included. Product may vary in size and appearance but is guaranteed to be 8-bit. Display device not included. Waterproof not guaranteed and will depend on your display device of choice. Bitcoin only, no refunds no returns. DOA guaranteed.
On the bright side, you'd never see your 'investment' RTN.

If it were me, I'd be malicious enough to code that in though.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side, you'd never see your 'investment' RTN.

If it were me, I'd be malicious enough to code that in though.
Gotta read that fine print... DOA guaranteed

World Wide Corals

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last chance to get in on this one... I call it Bugatti Note Payment Torch. With a name like that you know it will get you insta likes and make you insta famous!

View attachment 2952833
*Gif will be delivered by next day email only. 8-bit fish not included. WYSINWYG. Product may vary in size and appearance but is guaranteed to be 8-bit. Display device not included. Waterproof not guaranteed and will depend on your display device of choice. Bitcoin only, no refunds no returns. DOA guaranteed.
Ooooooooo! HOW MUCH HOW MUCH! I’m willing to sell my entire wallet contents and house to get that new bugatti torch!

In all honestly I believe this is how most vendors want all people to think like when they start to post and sell a “brand new“ or “rarest of the rare” or “hard to come by” coral comes out. And unfortunately, so many people are willing to do just that! Well not their house but you get me. Like many people have said on here, if we complain about this yet we buy from them, the cause is only getting worse and we end up doing absolute nothing to help.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to admit I am still flabbergasted by the extremely long list of thread participants whenever I "check in" on one of these almost daily live sales. Over and over. The majority of you guys definitely dig them. Why, I'll never really understand. But that's a topic for another thread.

Thing is, for every one thread like this, where we all blow steam and rant about the current state of things, and there are plenty, there are at least 5-10 active running live sale threads lol. As someone who was here before live sales existed, I can say with confidence, it has gotten silly. But as long as you guys keep going ga-ga over them, I'm afraid vendors that rely on them are going to keep doing them.
There’s one of my few. Appreciate the last BB.
1672372846177.gif

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooooo! HOW MUCH HOW MUCH! I’m willing to sell my entire wallet contents and house to get that new bugatti torch!
I find it unfortunate to be the one to tell you this but since you need to ask how much.... It probably isn't for you.
Being so rare, so exceptional, and of course in such demand, we need to be selective with our buyers to protect our clients reputations. Certainly you understand...

CLICK TO VIEW

Zuma

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noone is prices out of the hobby. At least not by this. Do you go to a Ferrari dealer and then say you are priced out of owning a car? You can still get a used cheap car from a used car dealership. Or just a budget dealership. Those won't have an online store with flashy pictures and media hype though.

And you can still get plenty of corals, especially colorful zoas, for cheap, even online. Just not hyped ones. Hype is fashion, fashion is for the rich. Or people who think they can easily get that money back with a few frags sold at a discount.
Well said, the best reef tanks I tend to see have fairly standard corals and fish but everything is grown out and Aquascaped nicely, much better than a tank full of bright colored frags.

just my opinion tho.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says in my signature, I support Shane Backer of SBB corals and Adam from Battlecorals exclusively, I know the steps they take, and the expenses they risk, to get a coral to our doors. They are the only two vendors I have found to be totally transparent and trustworthy.

Adam has been recently updating his website to step back from the marketing names and includes species names as well. This is a HUGE draw for me because one 'Ultra Super Spastic Electric Slide Rainbow Mille' may easily be a Spath in disguise.

I also know these two actually nurture their colonies, and aren't fly by night hype trains.

I can't say that honestly about many vendors. And I get it, it's a business, but the fabrication of limited availability to induce the fear of missing out is really getting tiresome.

Having people annihilate their F5 key for a nondeal is borderline abuse.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says in my signature, I support Shane Backer of SBB corals and Adam from Battlecorals exclusively, I know the steps they take, and the expenses they risk, to get a coral to our doors. They are the only two vendors I have found to be totally transparent and trustworthy.
This line of your signature though, is poetry.

The plural of anecdote is not data

ninjamyst

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle corals doesn't specifically name the corals ultra Supreme anything. They don't do live sales. From what I understand have some of if not the best customer service in the hobby and are the most reasonable of all the online vendors. As a hobbyist $100 really is my max I'm willing to pay. And I've never personally sold anything over that mark. I feel anything higher is not justified. If nothing you have proven my point. $100 at a small good vendor versus $300 at some giant vendor sits much better with me...
Got it. So you are not upset about pricing but more about marketing gimmicks. On average, battlecoral acros are more expensive than other vendors. Battlecorals also do run sales a few times a year. They just don't call them live sales, and they don't have them every month, and they don't play the name game. But from a pure pricing standpoint, battlecorals is a premium "brand".

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This line of your signature though, is poetry.

The plural of anecdote is not data
I actually stole that from a reefer I respected on another forum, which shall not be named here, but was once CENTRAL to my hobby.

As true today as it was when I read it.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it unfortunate to be the one to tell you this but since you need to ask how much.... It probably isn't for you.
Being so rare, so exceptional, and of course in such demand, we need to be selective with our buyers to protect our clients reputations. Certainly you understand...
Funny enough (and not so funny enough) I am 100% certain there are some people out there who judge the person just from what they are giving off and actually SAY THAT they say exactly that! Where’s the community’s wholesome spirit there. Reefing is a hobby and a community where it’s supposed to be supportive and actually nice to people. Yet there are people out there who could care less. And unfortunately that’s how some big corporations and retailers act. That’s why it’s so important to support local businesses as well.

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So you are not upset about pricing but more about marketing gimmicks. On average, battlecoral acros are more expensive than other vendors. Battlecorals also do run sales a few times a year. They just don't call them live sales, and they don't have them every month, and they don't play the name game. But from a pure pricing standpoint, battlecorals is a premium "brand".
Pricing plays into it. Big picture battle corals is not a high priced high hype high gimmick vendor. Even if some peices are a little more expensive.

I guess price point for everyone is different. Mine sits around $100 bucks.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back