Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think coral prices have changed much over the last decade or so... certainly not as much as fish in my area.

One thing that has changed is more of these super corals have come out. I get why the corals like homewreckers, chicago sunburst anemones, and high-end torches cost so much... they look ******* awesome!

No hate at all from me on the vendors' prices out there. They price them based on supply/demand.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DIYreefer

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really don't think coral prices have changed much over the last decade or so... certainly not as much as fish in my area.

One thing that has changed is more of these super corals have come out. I get why the corals like homewreckers, chicago sunburst anemones, and high-end torches cost so much... they look ******* awesome!

No hate at all from me on the vendors' prices out there. They price them based on supply/demand.

Agreed.... mostly. The quality of corals in general really have increased over the years. And while I don't necessarily find it misleading when some corals are only shown under extensive blue LED (because they are drab, blah corals under any other lighting) I do wish that sellers would be more transparent about this fact when they list their products.

For example, I've got an actual Yellow Fiji Leather that I pulled directly from the Walt Smith box years ago. I've started selling frags of it here in the classifieds but I make it very clear in my listing that this coral kinda sucks under predominantly blue LED, and will really only truly shine under whiter lighting.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Stevorino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.... mostly. The quality of corals in general really have increased over the years. And while I don't necessarily find it misleading when some corals are only shown under extensive blue LED (because they are drab, blah corals under any other lighting) I do wish that sellers would be more transparent about this fact when they list their products.

For example, I've got an actual Yellow Fiji Leather that I pulled directly from the Walt Smith box years ago. I've started selling frags of it here in the classifieds but I make it very clear in my listing that this coral kinda sucks under predominantly blue LED, and will really only truly shine under whiter lighting.
Absolutely agree with this caveat.

I've come to learn that generally corals will look more stunning in pictures from vendors and take that into account before buying.....and you are totally right that there are some corals that just don't translate to the home aquarium as well as others.

If it's a high dollar purchase, I personally try to research the coral outside of the vendor's website to see how others have enjoyed it, but there's not always reliable content available.

Icryhard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is an example- Memorial weekend live auctions have begun and I am am not paying $55 for a 2 head Rasta Zoa . . and who has 15% off goods and a bottle of Ocean Nutrition flakes is $11.13 and after discount comes to $9.46 and my LFS has it for $8.99 - Geeez- seriously

Where's the excitement or savings?
Where I am from they amp up prices in basically everything and then "give a discount". You basically pay the full price every time, especially now that people have gotten their "vacation money".

Top Shelf Aquatics

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Deleted several posts going back and forth at one another about hell. If I missed one report it. Otherwise please stay on topic. Thank you.

Top Shelf Aquatics

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted several posts going back and forth at one another about hell. If I missed one report it. Otherwise please stay on topic. Thank you.
Unless I misinterpreted it, I thought the examples were of raised prices of corals by giving them names that really don’t mean anything. Similar to using Walt Disney, Bill Murray, etc. A trend developed after the last season of stranger things on Netflix where they had a club called the h***fire club. That term is now used on many different corals which are demanding higher pricing than what they were named previously. I think it was on topic.

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I associated this to five stages of grief...

1. Denial & Isolation: I denied the fact that everything (salt, lighting, wavemaker, corals, fish, etc) has gone up!@#$ Why is it happening to me? Why can't I make more money?
2. Anger: yes, I was very frustrated & angry that vendors jacked up their prices! It made angry that "Joe's Frags" was selling from his garage and charging full price. I was angrier that I couldn't grow corals fast enough to compete!
3. Bargaining: I negotiated and tried to find good deals on vendors' big sale event, tried to haggle to get the best "high-end" corals for paying the absolute minimum.
4. Depression: I was very sad to see that my corals were not growing. All this time, "Joe's Frags" were making a killing selling his Walt Disneys for $150 per 1" frag. He even upgraded to a bigger frag tank, thanks to me and my fellow reefers!
5. Acceptance: This is where I'm at. I've learned to accept that while prices are high, it's just inflation. Accept that it's supply & demand - just go with the "flow". I can always find ways to generate more $$$ to pay for these. Perhaps Joe needs to buy some products & services from me so I've increased my price as well? Yes, it's a vicious circle but I can do this all day! ;) In the end, it's just a hobby - so enjoy it!

Have a great Memorial weekend guys. If you celebrate it, please take the time to remember & honor all the military personnel who sacrificed their life so we can enjoy ours.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I associated this to five stages of grief...

1. Denial & Isolation: I denied the fact that everything (salt, lighting, wavemaker, corals, fish, etc) has gone up!@#$ Why is it happening to me? Why can't I make more money?
2. Anger: yes, I was very frustrated & angry that vendors jacked up their prices! It made angry that "Joe's Frags" was selling from his garage and charging full price. I was angrier that I couldn't grow corals fast enough to compete!
3. Bargaining: I negotiated and tried to find good deals on vendors' big sale event, tried to haggle to get the best "high-end" corals for paying the absolute minimum.
4. Depression: I was very sad to see that my corals were not growing. All this time, "Joe's Frags" were making a killing selling his Walt Disneys for $150 per 1" frag. He even upgraded to a bigger frag tank, thanks to me and my fellow reefers!
5. Acceptance: This is where I'm at. I've learned to accept that while prices are high, it's just inflation. Accept that it's supply & demand - just go with the "flow". I can always find ways to generate more $$$ to pay for these. Perhaps Joe needs to buy some products & services from me so I've increased my price as well? Yes, it's a vicious circle but I can do this all day! ;) In the end, it's just a hobby - so enjoy it!

Have a great Memorial weekend guys. If you celebrate it, please take the time to remember & honor all the military personnel who sacrificed their life so we can enjoy ours.
Yes please remember those who sacrificed for our freedom.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thet

The coral!
If you think the coral names are bad, Washington is a "legal recreational" state, walk into a green cross store. Makes the ultra glowing orb nuke gsp look like a bland name.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back