Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just played with a shopping cart it was $36.00. you must be in like FL or CA, which means you have the benefit of being near so many shops. there isnt too many in the northeast
I’m in Los Angeles. Not as many shops as you think but some good ones. The biggest benefit of being here is that we have the largest selection of marine fish being right here at the main port of entry into the USA. Variety is the spice of life:)

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far do you live from Charlotte, NC? For me the best place to buy a fish is in a good LFS.
You get to see the fish, less shock form transfer, No DOA and so on. I have bought all my fish from Nemo Reef in Indian Trail, NC and have never lost a fish to a disease. I do not quarantine. They have beautiful display and were salt water fish only for a long time. They only recently added fresh water.
They obviously care for their animals. They may even rescue fish who have been neglected, as a few years ago I saw a diner plate hippo tang in a very bad shape. It had HLL I enquired about it and they say it was actually improving. That fish is still in their tank, but though much better, its HLL is still very visible, fish is still very active. I check on it everytime I go there.

Avast

To(meany)Tang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef beauties 1000%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_083918_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_083918_Gmail.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230514_083908_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_083908_Gmail.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230514_083857_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_083857_Gmail.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve had good luck with Fish from PetCo. Before you slam me, even though I live in a Metropolitan Area, with lots of independent fish stores, the nearest one is an hour and twenty minutes away, and that’s with good traffic. I have four PetCo’s from 15 minutes to 45 minutes from me. Also I try and buy AC Fish. For Corals, fellow hobbyists, been able to get the Corals I want, that are almost guaranteed to grow. Just have to exercise some patience, and look everyday. I do try to avoid the ones who are home mass producing. Too many diseases.

Top Shelf Aquatics

To(meany)Tang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve had good luck with Fish from PetCo. Before you slam me, even though I live in a Metropolitan Area, with lots of independent fish stores, the nearest one is an hour and twenty minutes away, and that’s with good traffic. I have four PetCo’s from 15 minutes to 45 minutes from me. Also I try and buy AC Fish. For Corals, fellow hobbyists, been able to get the Corals I want, that are almost guaranteed to grow. Just have to exercise some patience, and look everyday. I do try to avoid the ones who are home mass producing. Too many diseases.
+1 I've gotten several healthy fish from petco. Even shipping as well :)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a tradeoff between quality, prices and shipping. I've looked at probably every place mentioned here, and prices and shipping costs are all over the place. It really comes down to customer service and quality livestock at a price you can stomach. Take reef beauties with a 15 day guarantee and free shipping at $179. They seem to have nice stock, if not somewhat limited selection, and the higher prices reflect the guarantee and shipping. On the other end of the spectrum, you have as little as arrive alive/2hr (or not responsible) and/or high shipping with cheaper prices. You really have to pay attention to policies. Most places use the Star Trek Feringi rule of acquisition #1... Once you have their money, you never give it back lol. You get a box of dead fish/coral, and they may claim to not be responsible, absolutely no refunds just store credit minus shipping costs of course or maybe just tough luck. Thats why online is more preferable for guarantees IMO. For most LFS any guarantee ends the second they get your money and you walk out the door.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS probably. Honestly most lfs jack up prices because they know people are saving a ton with shipping but at least you dont have to worry about fish being DOA and you can see them eat.

World Wide Corals

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just played with a shopping cart it was $36.00. you must be in like FL or CA, which means you have the benefit of being near so many shops. there isnt too many in the northeast
Well, you will notice for each item listing they have a weight assigned and they charge shipping by weight. In the end probably not that bad being they don't tack on a $10 box charge like most of the places do with free shipping at a certain dollar amount.

To(meany)Tang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a tradeoff between quality, prices and shipping. I've looked at probably every place mentioned here, and prices and shipping costs are all over the place. It really comes down to customer service and quality livestock at a price you can stomach. Take reef beauties with a 15 day guarantee and free shipping at $179. They seem to have nice stock, if not somewhat limited selection, and the higher prices reflect the guarantee and shipping. On the other end of the spectrum, you have as little as arrive alive/2hr (or not responsible) and/or high shipping with cheaper prices. You really have to pay attention to policies. Most places use the Star Trek Feringi rule of acquisition #1... Once you have their money, you never give it back lol. You get a box of dead fish/coral, and they may claim to not be responsible, absolutely no refunds just store credit minus shipping costs of course or maybe just tough luck. Thats why online is more preferable for guarantees IMO. For most LFS any guarantee ends the second they get your money and you walk out the door.
Not to defend just to clarify. Maybe I misunderstood are you saying reef beauties has higher prices? That's would be the opposite. They have the lowest prices I've ever seen. Their shipping is the same as anywhere else sometimes cheaper and they have excellent service my fish have died and they credited me with no issue I can agree on the other part. :)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to defend just to clarify. Maybe I misunderstood are you saying reef beauties has higher prices? That's would be the opposite. They have the lowest prices I've ever seen. Their shipping is the same as anywhere else sometimes cheaper and they have excellent service my fish have died and they credited me with no issue I can agree on the other part. :)
I don't doubt they have good service and I may try them sometime but it's usually about finding what I happen the be looking for at the time. I bit because not only did I find a medium powder blue but the price was $85(sale) which you just don't find that low anymore. I just spot checked a few things like the powder blue I bought that was about $25 more, blue sapphire damsel was $10.5 more vs. NY aquatics and don't recall the others I looked at. Of course, they have the free or flat rate shipping and packing factored in the price, NY Aquatics is also 15% off this weekend and it probably all worked out about the same when I had to pay for shipping for two fish and 2 shrimp.

Good news is there is a lot of competition out there now and a lot of people aren't spending money, with the economy/inflation, so prices are coming down seemingly to a more reasonable level (some places). Especially with corals there seems to be a glut now and some places might actually have to come off the high horse. I buy a lot from ASD and I just about won't touch them unless it's one of there every other week 30% off sales.

BRS

To(meany)Tang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt they have good service and I may try them sometime but it's usually about finding what I happen the be looking for at the time. I bit because not only did I find a medium powder blue but the price was $85(sale) which you just don't find that low anymore. I just spot checked a few things like the powder blue I bought that was about $25 more, blue sapphire damsel was $10.5 more vs. NY aquatics and don't recall the others I looked at. Of course, they have the free or flat rate shipping and packing factored in the price, NY Aquatics is also 15% off this weekend and it probably all worked out about the same when I had to pay for shipping for two fish and 2 shrimp.

Good news is there is a lot of competition out there now and a lot of people aren't spending money, with the economy/inflation, so prices are coming down seemingly to a more reasonable level (some places). Especially with corals there seems to be a glut now and some places might actually have to come off the high horse. I buy a lot from ASD and I just about won't touch them unless it's one of there every other week 30% off sales.
I can see what your saying but if I'm ever buying online and can't see a fish that's the most important quality a online vendor can have is top notch service. Alot of vendors you buy from have sub par service along with their high prices. Reef beauties I could agree would be a better option for a larger order. I personally won't buy from them unless I can get the free shipping at 179. But that's well worth it. You can put as many fish in a box that you want but if you were only looking for a couple small items then I would recommend a lfs. Hopefully the high horse will knock them all down lol

Fichmiester

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far do you live from Charlotte, NC? For me the best place to buy a fish is in a good LFS.
You get to see the fish, less shock form transfer, No DOA and so on. I have bought all my fish from Nemo Reef in Indian Trail, NC and have never lost a fish to a disease. I do not quarantine. They have beautiful display and were salt water fish only for a long time. They only recently added fresh water.
They obviously care for their animals. They may even rescue fish who have been neglected, as a few years ago I saw a diner plate hippo tang in a very bad shape. It had HLL I enquired about it and they say it was actually improving. That fish is still in their tank, but though much better, its HLL is still very visible, fish is still very active. I check on it everytime I go there.
This! Nemo's is the Sh**.

I went Dr Reef for my most recent order because I got tangs and wanted them properly quarantined, but otherwise Nemos Reef is the place. One of, if not the best LFS I've ever been to.

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! Nemo's is the Sh**.

I went Dr Reef for my most recent order because I got tangs and wanted them properly quarantined, but otherwise Nemos Reef is the place. One of, if not the best LFS I've ever been to.
how does one view their fish list>? just went to the page and isn't particularly user friendly.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Fichmiester

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does one view their fish list>? just went to the page and isn't particularly user friendly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Broog

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a couple corals and a yellow watchman goby, wrasse from Nemo's reef. They sent fish in a regular FedEx box with no indication there was live animals ect. The fish and coral were all packed in a insulation bag inside box. The wrasse bag was popped and DOA..They did credit me for the fish with no hassle but I would not probably order fish again due there box method. Looks like a great local store If I lived closer.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back