Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you feel that way thats honestly the first I’ve ever heard about them being a waste of money or shady. I’ve purchased three fish from them and had zero issues.
I did 4 separate multi fish deals and I picked them up in person. 80% dead within 48 hours. I asked to see the quality of their tanks and QT process and they refused to let me look. I purchased same fish from my LFS who also does in house QT and have had 100% survival rate. There are multiple members here who have had bad experiences and negative posts in the vendor thread.

Nutramar Foods

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 4 separate multi fish deals and I picked them up in person. 80% dead within 48 hours. I asked to see the quality of their tanks and QT process and they refused to let me look. I purchased same fish from my LFS who also does in house QT and have had 100% survival rate. There are multiple members here who have had bad experiences and negative posts in the vendor thread.
Wow sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting!

Nutramar Foods

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I think is easy to forget: LFS prices are usually higher, but you don't pay shipping directly. Overnight shipping is anywhere from 30-60 and up and should be factored in when talking about prices. I just purchased some Hoplosternum catfish from my LFS for my basement 240g freshwater at $100 for 3. I jumped on it because they're uncommon. Online they're usually 20ish a piece, so 3 would be 60 with 40 bucks shipping, there you go, same price basically - but - I can see how large the fish is and if it's eating.

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I think is easy to forget: LFS prices are usually higher, but you don't pay shipping directly. Overnight shipping is anywhere from 30-60 and up and should be factored in when talking about prices. I just purchased some Hoplosternum catfish from my LFS for my basement 240g freshwater at $100 for 3. I jumped on it because they're uncommon. Online they're usually 20ish a piece, so 3 would be 60 with 40 bucks shipping, there you go, same price basically - but - I can see how large the fish is and if it's eating.
So true! The corals I got from the shipment yesterday are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than what I received from the LFS at the same prices. I expected this, of course, so no problem.

Last edited:

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! The corals I got from the shipment yesterday are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller then what I received from the LFS at the same prices. I expected this, of course, so no problem.
LFS is always a good option if you find small coral shows to that feature private individual or small business vendors you can find terrific deals on frags or small corals to. I've only been to several that were in hotel conference rooms blacked out with nothing but coral lighting, pretty cool.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's so sick!! I'm relatively new to the hobby, haven't been to any shows :O I'll have to keep a lookout for shows in Austin!

Maybe April 2023?

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe April 2023?
YOU ROCK. Definitely need to check this out!!! Thank you :D

BRS

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<p>I just ordered from tlsaltwaterfish.com on friday and was not impressed by the health of the fish. 2 of the five are dead so far and it hasn't even been 48 hours. The elibi angel had scales that were raised and had some red marks on its stomacc and didn't look healthy. And the butterfly fish which was in a different qt tank died over night. Maybe it was the shipping or maybe they were sick. The flame angel I ordered has tattered fins may even be a bacterial infection he seems to be breathing harder than I'd like again maybe ammonia. I should have tested the bag water they came in. They were only in the bags for 24 hours max as I picked them up at the fed ex facility at 10 am so they weren't driving around in a hot truck all day.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>I put the tickets in for the dead fish we will see how it's resolved but based on my experience so far I don't even want to deal with the headache of trying to nurse any fish from them back to health. I rather buy local and see the healthy specimen I'm buying.&nbsp;</p>

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria= 4 doa deliveries in a row. I no longer order from them.

Saltwateraquarium.com= shipping direct from ORA. Two flawless deliveries.
Let’s get something straight for everyone….

Most reputable vendors use the same shipping practices. DOA is a high risk regardless of where you order from. Your LFS or mail order vendor has high DOA on arrival to them too. You just don’t see it or know about it.

So given that fact, I would prefer to spend a little more and order from a reputable quarantine vendor such as @Dr. Reef and minimize the other risks like disease or wiping out my tank. You know the fish is starting its journey healthy and has been observed eating as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<p>I just ordered from tlsaltwaterfish.com on friday and was not impressed by the health of the fish. 2 of the five are dead so far and it hasn't even been 48 hours. The elibi angel had scales that were raised and had some red marks on its stomacc and didn't look healthy. And the butterfly fish which was in a different qt tank died over night. Maybe it was the shipping or maybe they were sick. The flame angel I ordered has tattered fins may even be a bacterial infection he seems to be breathing harder than I'd like again maybe ammonia. I should have tested the bag water they came in. They were only in the bags for 24 hours max as I picked them up at the fed ex facility at 10 am so they weren't driving around in a hot truck all day.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>I put the tickets in for the dead fish we will see how it's resolved but based on my experience so far I don't even want to deal with the headache of trying to nurse any fish from them back to health. I rather buy local and see the healthy specimen I'm buying.&nbsp;</p>
Well that's a bummer. Where are you located? No good local LFS?

SCFAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Beauties has been beyond satisfactory. Fish arrive very healthy and appear to adjust quickly. Huge variety of fish, excellent customer service. Their 15 day guarantee is longer than other online sources.

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm located in CT. Wet pets in Vernon always has healthy fish and never done me wrong but it's 50 min drive both ways and they don't always have what I'm looking for.

Petco is 15 mins away and as long as I hybrid TTM as per humble fish, they always survive and I still have all the ones I bought 2 or 3 years ago. But they always have the same stuff (coral beauty, common tangs, rabbit fish, cardinal fish, clowns dottybacks and damsels, a few different wrasses) and about 15 percent of the stuff looks sick.

I always qt before anything goes in the DT. But I was trying to start a 40 breeder and decided to put them all in using already established filter pads and rock that have been in my sump for over 6 months. I did a h2o2 bath today for the survivors and will dose general cure right to the tank. I need to read up on the fowlr forums to see what I can get away with for qt in the tank without ruining the rocks. Right now I took the rocks out and replaced with pvc pipes. The rocks will need sterilizing at this point.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try NY aquatics at some point soon. Their prices are hard to beat and they do sales every month or two on top o
Have had decent success with them and the customer service has really gotten lots better.
Glad you guys have had success. Im trying to place an order in the next few weeks and want to order from a reputable place close to the northeast to lessen the chance of a DOA.

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my fish in a LFS in NC but is at the border with SC. Fish have always been healthy, and I did not find them pricey. I have compared the price with on line and when you add shipping it is very fair. I can see the fish, choose it and he will be in my tank within 40mn. No hours and hours in a tiny bag with varying temperature which increase the chance of the fish dying or being sick. It is more than worthy for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid Live aquaria like the plaque. They also have terrible customer service and cannot answer what's being fed to their fish. Never had any luck with that company fresh or salt and they will also ship your order at 75%, which is especially annoying when you are trying to source a group to add at the same time.

Saltwaterfish.com always came in emaciated. I have no problem receiving freshwater species but i think for salties, I'd rather see in person and support local whenever possible.

Just food for thought- i believe petco sources from quality marine, if you purchase online from petco you will likely receive healthy specimens that are far and away in better shape than their in store counterparts. i've done so with freshwater species 2x in the last 12 months and i was absolutely shocked had how much better the shipped fish were vs those in store.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Biota Marine Life
Back