Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hurricane Aquatics - you are my hero. THANK YOU!! Your advice is incredibly helpful and makes me feel 1000% more confident. Not too long a post at all :)

Oh, and I plan to duplicate the dip you mentioned you do. Coral RX for 5 minutes, then Revive for 5 minutes, then Lugol's for 5 minutes. Rinse off, put acro crab back on, in the tank they go!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hurricane Aquatics - you are my hero. THANK YOU!! Your advice is incredibly helpful and makes me feel 1000% more confident. Not too long a post at all :)

Oh, and I plan to duplicate the dip you mentioned you do. Coral RX for 5 minutes, then Revive for 5 minutes, then Lugol's for 5 minutes. Rinse off, put acro crab back on, in the tank they go!
Perfect!

Lugol's I use a whole dropper in a large enough container to cover the acro. It won't hurt the acro and helps them to acclimate much quicker.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved over to using potassium chloride as my goto acro dip. Very gentle on acropora but only acropora. All worms pods or crabs will be dead in a few minutes.

I have it and haven't used it yet. Definitely don't want to kill the crabs though.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing how you do it?
Sure. The dip solution is1 tbls per gallon of tank water. Baste for 5-15 minutes. It really doesn't take long at all. I've done all the dips over the years and while virtually all can handle pods and worms, KCl is the most gentle. Right up there with Bayers but MUCH easier to handle. Plus, it mixes clear.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. The dip solution is1 tbls per gallon of tank water. Baste for 5-15 minutes. It really doesn't take long at all. I've done all the dips over the years and while virtually all can handle pods and worms, KCl is the most gentle. Right up there with Bayers but MUCH easier to handle. Plus, it mixes clear.

Thanks!

Gary67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering trying a colony of Biota Bali Maricultured SPS. My understanding is maricultured sticks can come with a lot of potential pests.

Is this just a bad idea and I should move on? Or is there a solid dipping method you think I could use to ensure a “clean” piece goes into my system?

FWIW, I do not have the option of running a QT tank for the coral
I spoke to a guy at Biota and he said to me that now and then you have to watch for Aptasia. He said that's about it i honestly don't know .Because i'm looking at colonies from there my self.I was thinking about buying a couple of frags from them at a cheaper price just to get an idea of what i have to look forward to. I e-mailed Biota and they told me the frags were 2-3 inches that is a good size also the price is 65.00 colonies are 140.00 so i'm going to get something shortly as i go over different articles about Maricultured corals happy hunting
I’m considering trying a colony of Biota Bali Maricultured SPS. My understanding is maricultured sticks can come with a lot of potential pests.

Is this just a bad idea and I should move on? Or is there a solid dipping method you think I could use to ensure a “clean” piece goes into my system?

FWIW, I do not have the option of running a QT tank for the coral

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a guy at Biota and he said to me that now and then you have to watch for Aptasia. He said that's about it i honestly don't know .Because i'm looking at colonies from there my self.I was thinking about buying a couple of frags from them at a cheaper price just to get an idea of what i have to look forward to. I e-mailed Biota and they told me the frags were 2-3 inches that is a good size also the price is 65.00 colonies are 140.00 so i'm going to get something shortly as i go over different articles about Maricultured corals happy hunting

Hey Gary,

I really like the people I've dealt with at Biota. I have 8 or 10 Acropora colonies I've bought from Biota this year and late last year.

Every single Acropora had flatworms, bristle worms, aiptasia, and a list of other pests. There isn't any coral coming from a 3rd world country, that doesn't have pests. I've always dipped thoroughly and have a process that's been 100% successful.

The only issue I have now is an expanding population of aiptasia..... I HATE aiptasia. However, you can and will eventually get those and not only from Biota. I've gotten aiptasia from WWC and many other places.

The Acropora WILL have a variety of pests. If you have questions please ask as I've only lost one small frag that I bought from Biota and it was about dead when it arrived. I've brought many that exposed their zooxanthellae back to life that were white skeleton. So I'm versed on Biota Maricultured. Here's a couple of my Biota Acropora that I've colored up. They'll be very pale when you get them from stress. They did not look like this when they arrived. Every one you see is Biota Maricultured.

20230514_224916.jpg
20230514_224933.jpg
20230514_225023.jpg
20230514_225140.jpg
20230514_225204.jpg
20230514_225221.jpg
20230514_225242.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the posts hurricane aquatics very helpful for the mariculture new people. I would just say it’s best for people trying mariculture for the first time to try and get a specimen that was not stressed out. Getting random ones shipped from other vendors is a crapshoot because they are often shipped twice in a row or more.
Like mentioned above, if you see one that’s been at your local fish store for more than 6-8 weeks that is a good bet it will live if it’s healthy still. Or if your store has received a new batch buy ones that are still in the bag and have not sat in their tanks yet. The less stressors on these Maricultures the better luck you will have. This is why I like to order boxes of my own, you get a good deal and better chances of survival than buying a lot of single favorites off of vendors sites.
If you have found a vendor who keeps these maricultures until they are colored up and healing into normal tank colors and then sells them, your lucky!

Gary67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!

Lugol's I use a whole dropper in a large enough container to cover the acro. It won't hurt the acro and helps them to acclimate much quicker.

Thanks for sharing that i wrote it down will use this method you put on the site when i get the corals

Gary67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!

can you give me the amount of par you are using for the maricultured corals that you use that would help me quite a bit thanks

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you give me the amount of par you are using for the maricultured corals that you use that would help me quite a bit thanks
Hey Gary,

When you first get them, put them at the bottom of the tank and let them acclimate. I have all of my Maricultured in 350 to 400 PAR.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back