Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate the compliment my friend. I remember lurking on your amazing build thread a while back too. I think we have almost the same tank dimensions too, except yours is deeper if I recall. When complete my system will be around 1,000 gallons, excluding the grow out system, which is separate.

Awesome Tim!!! I have a 900 gallon system and will be following along to see how yours progresses. Check out my build thread if you are interested. Congrats on living the dream!!

Reef_Hobbyist

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the compliment my friend. I remember lurking on your amazing build thread a while back too. I think we have almost the same tank dimensions too, except yours is deeper if I recall. When complete my system will be around 1,000 gallons, excluding the grow out system, which is separate.

I am excited for you. The build process is huge part of the fun!!!

There are some unique challenges to larger systems so I will be curious to see how your plans work out for you. For example, I really wanted to avoid a chiller but in the end I had no choice because my tank runs 8 degrees above room temp due to the 5 large pumps. I also have 3 gallons of evaporation per day which is convenient for dosing but also means making a lot of RODI. I noticed you decided not to add CL systems to your tank to avoid more holes. I agree with that too but I ended up changing my mind and installing 2 CL systems through the bottom of the tank. I was nervous about it but in the end, it turned out to be great and all plumbing is nicely hidden under the rock. Since I have a deep tank it actually pushes water from the bottom up to the top and my corals appreciate the flow.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes indeed and with proper planning, I just may be able to add a few clown fish to the display tank too ...joking and glad to have you along for my journey!

wow its a nice nano tank

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!
This is gonna be a piece of art :)
Love your equipment selection, a skimmer beast and Vortechs for flow. Nothing beats that! I'm an SPS addict to, really really excited to see what you will put in this monster :)

Cheers Matze!

Thank you very much and glad to share my obsession with you! I have been a hardcore SPS collector for well over a decade now and the collection of SPS sticks I am growing out now are just as amazing as the build itself. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any updates?

My most recent update involves my friends at Geo's Reef and my SPS grow-out system. A few days ago, I was performing regular maintenance on my GEO 624 Calcium Reactor, then disaster struck! My calcium reactor was built in 2006, but after 10 years of use, I accidentally cracked the top lid union connection and then immediately contacted Geo's Reef for help. Within 12 hours, Geo's Reef rebuilt my old calcium reactor by adding a new manifold, new lid, and replaced all the plumbing parts. Within 24 hrs of the accident, my calcium reactor was back online, rebuilt like new and feeding my corals the good stuff. I can't thank Geo's Reef enough. They have exceeded my expectations time and time again. Quality, attention to detail and amazing customer support!

A few pictures of the damaged GEO 624 Calcium reactor (in use for over a decade).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While at Geo's Reef, I could not resist picking up a new carbon media reactor for my SPS grow-out system as well. Built like a tank with only high grade materials and attention to detail...Made in the USA.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back