Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you very much for the compliment and feel free to use any idea, concept, equipment or application in this thread to make your new build the best for you too!

Tank is amazing. I'm setting up my own 720 and definitely picking up pointers on your set up. So well thought out!!

You are very welcome and thanks again for always being available when needed.
Looking good! Thank you for your support.

Many more pictures to follow my friend and thank you for following along. Maybe we can do an online open house event, when complete.

Just wow!!![emoji33] So we are all invited over for the open house right?? This is such an extensive build, I can't wait to see the finished product and all the plumbing. Thanks for sharing.

AquaCave Logo Banner

nitro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for taking such great care of your equipment. You equipment that you have been using for 10 + years looks better than stuff less than a few months old in most cases. Well done and way to cya in the future by having back ups for your back ups...Nice

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, George. I can't say enough praise for Geo's Reef, who has been a long-term fixture in this hobby for many years.

Awesome tim! Being a big fan of Geo's stuff myself I Def dig the setup :)

Yes indeed nitro, I reserved you a seat in the front row for this build. Thanks for the compliment and glad to share my build thread with you!

This entire system ROCKS I would love a front row seat. Great job.
Nitro

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very good point and you are absolutely right. I have duplicates of just about every piece of equipment used on my reef, but one thing I did not plan on was cracking the union lid on my calcium reactor. I will make sure that does not happen again but living close to Geo's Reef in Ohio is a blessing. If you purchase quality, proven equipment from the beginning, and properly maintain it, you may be surprised how long certain skimmers, pumps, calcium reactors, etc. may last. It is imperative to plan for the worst,with a back up plan in place along with investing in duplicate parts and equipment, when needed.

Unfortunately, certain things in life are beyond our control no matter how well we plan for disaster or accidents. For example, a few weeks ago, our house was struck by lightning during a thunderstorm. We were home when it happened and were very blessed that the damage was limited to a hole in our roof and some other property damage as well, but our reef pets made it out okay. It could have been so much worse.

Kudos to you for taking such great care of your equipment. You equipment that you have been using for 10 + years looks better than stuff less than a few months old in most cases. Well done and way to cya in the future by having back ups for your back ups...Nice

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Up next is the lighting I will use on my 600g Reef Savvy dream tank. I have been using metal halide lights for well over a decade so it is no surprise that am I sticking with what I know best and what makes my SPS happy....but with a twist. I will also be using LED strip lighting as supplements, but the primary source of lighting will consist of 6 (six) 400 watt metal halide lights.

Special thanks goes out to Chris Benner of Sticks N Stones and Tullio Dellaquila of Reef Brite for hooking me up with the Reef Brite HyBrid Metal Halide 400W Pendants with XHO LED strips X 3 for my dream build. These light fixtures are sweet and compliment my Reef Savvy tank very well. Chris is building me a custom light rack to house the Reef Brite Hybrid fixtures as well.

I heard the lighting system is going to be nothing short of epic. Any previews of those you can share?

What lights are you going with?

You may have posted, but as most people do i look at the pictures, what are you planning on using for lighting?

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No solar my friend, just a high electric bill each month. I need the added heat since everything is located the basement.

That's a lot of power. Hope you have solar...or that may be the next investment.

Thank you and yes it was an easy choice selecting the Reef Brite Hybrids.
Nice light choice

My Reef Brite electronic metal halide ballasts are not controllable and since I will be running them on a deeper, larger tank, I plan to run them at full capacity.
So are your MH dimmable ? I'm sure the LEDs are

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not forget about this request, Logan. Plenty of SPS teaser shots from my grow-out system to follow...stay tuned my friend.

Can't wait to see the full build out! How about some SPS teaser shots in the meatime? ;)

Nutramar Foods

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the same lights as u on my 180 build toilio is the man and he sold me on them
I'm only going to run 3 26in 250 watt pendants with the xhos as well. Until I move And get my tank set up I will live through ur lights I hope they work great for u. Also Terrance from apex is running this system as well it seems like I am making the right choice on lighting for once in my life thanks for a great build thread

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure those Reef Brite Hybrids will do very well for you. I am running 400 watt halides with old school Lumenarc III reflectors on my grow-out system now. Looking forward to using the new Reef Brite Hybrids on my display tank.

It seems like I am making the right choice on lighting for once in my life thanks for a great build thread

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few updated teaser shots as promised from my ever-expanding SPS grow-out system. Only the best of the best will be displayed in my 600g Reef Savvy tank, when complete.

AV99's Goliath Came Out to Play ... A stunning solid orange acro with blue tips!

RR Canada Jaw Dropper ... After a few years of remaining dormant, new growth tips with solid blue polyps....finally!

RR Red Diablo

AV99's TroubleMaker

AV99's Rampage

Bali Green Slimmer
... Old school gem

RR Canada Pretty In Pink

CRT Delight

AV99's Glowstick

Reef Hero Blue Demon

Joe Knows Reefs Rainbow

RMF's Red Devil Nasuta

AV99's Dream Catcher

Reef Raft The Vinh

Battlecorals Purpy Pillie

AV99's Raptor

Tyree Pinky The Bear

RR Pink Floyd

RR Canada Incubus

Jared's Mai Tai

Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes

PC's Rainbow

Purple Plasma on Steroids

Copps 24 Karat Millepora

AV99's Tropical Frenzy

Original Aquascene Icefire Echinata

Tyree Rogue

AV99's Extreme Sunset Acropora

RR Red Bull

RMF's Aqua Glacier Bottlebrush

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

gettaReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, some killer SPS! Can't wait to see the 600 filled up. Esp love the BC purple pillie, Glowstick & Blue Demon!
I agree with your lighting choice, esp for a SPS dominant setup. On my new setup (93gal cube 24x24x30) I'm going with something similar: Hamilton fixture x1 20k MH with x4 T5's, and also have x2 reefbrite blue XHO's for each end. Now I'm just debating between a Phoenix or Usio metal halide

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back