150 gallon tank stocking

jayden kolonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I appreciate all the help I got on my last post about future filtration and dosing. I think I will just build a automatic water Changer. I trust my robotics and fail safes over these other company's.

Anyways, as this tank is reached 0 on Ammonia and NO3 I think it's ready for fish. It's going to be a reef tank with a bit overstocked as there is 100lbs of rock coming as well as lots of bio and mechanical filtration. Also I may get a new 1200g tank in a few months depending on a bet I have right now.
My list
On the way:
1× CBB (aptasia and tube worm control)
1× spot tail butterfly
1× long nose butterfly
5x lyrtail anthias
What I want:
1×Naso tang
1× Blue tang
1x Yellow tang
1× 6(or 4) line wrasse
1x yellow wrasse
Let me know what I should get or not get.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso will quickly out grow that tank. Look into a foxface! Those are bigger fish and the magnificents have similar colors to the naso. Mine is 6 or so inches, had her for maybe 8 months. Got her when she was 1/2 an inch. Grew like a weed!

OP
OP
J

jayden kolonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso will quickly out grow that tank. Look into a foxface! Those are bigger fish and the magnificents have similar colors to the naso. Mine is 6 or so inches, had her for maybe 8 months. Got her when she was 1/2 an inch. Grew like a weed!
Is everything else fine?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so, its a six foot tank right? The hippo will get pretty big too (but no where near the size of the naso) mine is 8-9 inches. Massive fish, bigger than my naso right now! I know a lot of people will tell you to ditch the six line for aggression reasons however I have one in my biocube with no aggression issues with him at all.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the naso. I have the same size tank but I probably wouldn’t put a hippo tang in it personally. I just think there are tangs a bit smaller that are beautiful and wont eventually look awkwardly large in the tank.

Smaller fish give the feeling/illusion that the tank is even bigger than it really is. It’s pleasing to the eye :)

White tail tangs are really nice looking.

IMG_4448.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jayden kolonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the naso. I have the same size tank but I probably wouldn’t put a hippo tang in it personally. I just think there are tangs a bit smaller that are beautiful and wont eventually look awkwardly large in the tank.

Smaller fish give the feeling/illusion that the tank is even bigger than it really is. It’s pleasing to the eye :)

White tail tangs are really nice looking.

IMG_4448.jpeg
What about the butterflys, also the yellow is fine? I want the blue tang pretty bad, and the price tag on the white tail is more than I would like to pay for 1 fish.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the butterflys, also the yellow is fine? I want the blue tang pretty bad, and the price tag on the white tail is more than I would like to pay for 1 fish.

Yellow is fine, hippo should be fine, hope the tank is 6 foot? Also I thought you had a 125g not a 150g?

Butterflies are with caution. They don’t always mix with corals well. That is one of the few reasons you don’t see as many in tanks.

OP
OP
J

jayden kolonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow is fine, hippo should be fine, hope the tank is 6 foot? Also I thought you had a 125g not a 150g?

Butterflies are with caution. They don’t always mix with corals well. That is one of the few reasons you don’t see as many in tanks.
Its a 125 but a 36 gallon sump and yes its 6ft.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 125 but a 36 gallon sump and yes its 6ft.

Ah, I would not add sump volume when we are talking about fish stocking.

While it adds some water, it’s usually only half full, rock/sand also displace water. Your tank has less than 150g or even 125g in it :)

Mostly just concerned about tank dimensions. Sounds like a 72" x 18" x 21 tank.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on keeping a cbb alive in a brand new bar tank?
Oh yeah I completely missed the part about it being new… this will be a problem with the copperband, finicky fish

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I completely missed the part about it being new… this will be a problem with the copperband, finicky fish
And I hope he doesn't plan to add that many fish right away... and I agree, pass on naso and Regal tang. 5 anthias requires alot of feeding, may be difficult to manage on a brand new tank/inexperienced reefer. So that leaves the yellow tang and wrasses as the only recommendable options on that list, IMHO

OP
OP
J

jayden kolonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on keeping a cbb alive in a brand new bar tank?
I already made a post asking for help and people told me that I should feed it copepods and mysis, and the seller already has them feeding. I also watched a video saying this is the best time to add them. Because there is no competiotion

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cleaned up. Thank you for those of you willing to help others!!

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already made a post asking for help and people told me that I should feed it copepods and mysis, and the seller already has them feeding. I also watched a video saying this is the best time to add them. Because there is no competiotion
Most people mean well - but if you ask enough people you will eventually hear what you want to hear even if it is not good advice. The same goes for "videos" - the mountain of suspect/bad advice that comes form content creators is likely larger than the hill of good/sound advice.

Having a stock list in mind is certainly a good plan and something to build toward. That said, the best advice that I can give you is to start out with a very easy fish or two... not 10 of them and not anything that needs advanced care or special considerations. Do that for 6-12 months. Get your feet wet so to speak. Learn as you go. You will be a better reef keeper and your tank and fish will be healthier. I would guess that one of the largest reasons that people leave this hobby (aside from money) is repeated failures that result from going too fast and listening to too many talking heads.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back