Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me paranoid, but I am strongly considering ripping out the frag of zoas and palys that I just put in my tank before they grow and make it even harder to erradicate. Given the zoa is probably not too bad of a problem should I attempt to pull the rosta zoa off or would I be pushing my luck?

View attachment 1691501
Save the rastas. I handle them all the time. Torch the palys.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

jbilliel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the rastas. I handle them all the time. Torch the palys.

Thanks Scott. I think I am going to attempt to pull the rasta off the frag with the Palys and put them on their own rock. Then I will toss the Palys.

Stupid question - is there a certain way to get rid of the Palys? Will they secrete their poison when they die? Should I put in a bag, seal it up and just toss them?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott. I think I am going to attempt to pull the rasta off the frag with the Palys and put them on their own rock. Then I will toss the Palys.

Stupid question - is there a certain way to get rid of the Palys? Will they secrete their poison when they die? Should I put in a bag, seal it up and just toss them?

Sealed bag should work. I just left my rocks out in the adjacent woods for a few months.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this article a few years ago and it is probably the best one that I've read on the topic.

blue2233

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas/palys are very safe to raise in a tank. My 180g has 1000s of zoas/palys in there and my hands are in the water all the time.

Zoas are nearly a non factor with toxins. Even when I'm fragging zoas I get their tissue-slime on my fingers all the time. I wash my hands after the fragging project and dont give it a 2nd thought

Palys...especially wild ones.... are one you need to respect more. If I have paly slime on my hands within a couple mins I I thoroughly wash my hands. After prolonged exposure to palys I'll wash and then rub hands with rubbing alcohol

The only time you need to be careful is any slime on your hands that could end up in an eye or in your mouth from an unattentive rub/scratch

Respect the slime. I've had palytoxin poisoning twice...similar to the bad case of the flu BUT I did some really stupid stuff to poison myself...like SCRUB PALYS into mush and not respect the slime.

Zoas/palys in your tank without disturbing the slime..you are PERFECTLY FINE
I am a very new reefer please don’t chew my head off if that is a very dumb question, but I am trying to figure out what a paly is? I am familiar with zoas (just added a few frags in my tank). But you have made me aware and respect the slime and also now I think I’m scared of palys lol. Want to know how to identify them.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a very new reefer please don’t chew my head off if that is a very dumb question, but I am trying to figure out what a paly is? I am familiar with zoas (just added a few frags in my tank). But you have made me aware and respect the slime and also now I think I’m scared of palys lol. Want to know how to identify them.
Where did I chew your head off?

Typed words have no tone and you misunderstood my tone I guess

Top Shelf Aquatics

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep searching with google here. There are some good articles that have some science behind them. Truth is MOST have little/no toxin that affects us and a very few do have more than enough to mess you up good. In my experience, the smaller the polyp. the less you have to fret about. I don't touch anything with a polyp larger than 3/8. I like to keep it simple. That is not science. Treat them all the same anyway when handling. Some gloves and eye protection. Don't snort or boil them.

blue2233

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did I chew your head off?

Typed words have no tone and you misunderstood my tone I guess
Lol no where mate. I have read many posts where people ask seemingly dumb questions and I was just clenching waiting to get ripped on for asking a dumb question. Didn’t mean for it to come off negative towards ya. Your post was both informative and funny to me. “Respect the slime..” haha. Have a nice day.

Obsidian96

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I read this. I recently purchased a Zoa and I had no idea about the potential toxicity. I took mine out of the bag with bare hands and put it in the tank. I washed my hands afterwards but I'm still a bit nervous. I don't think I bothered them too much and so far they seem happy in my aquarium.

Top Shelf Aquatics

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pretty zoas/palys IME grow slower than the ugly ones
Generally, the prettier palys are actually large polyped Zoanthus species such as Z. gigantus, Z. vietnamensis, or Z. kuroshio.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that Zoanthus usually don't contain palytoxin; high amounts of palytoxin are limited to a few species of Palythoa. However, I would take precautions just in case.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back