Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I planing on getting a single type of zoa to place on a section of my tank, although I would like to avoid ones with palytoxins. I understand palytoxons are not that dangerous when using proper protection but regardless I don't like the idea of having the world's second deadliest toxin in my tank. I really like utter chaos and was wondering if they contain said toxin? Anyone have recommendations on some others as well?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being a Zoa/poly expert, I can't say for sure, but I don't think their is any that exist. I know @skimjim thrives on the Zoas and Poly's, maybe he can chime in.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being a Zoa/poly expert, I can't say for sure, but I don;t think their is any that exist. I know @skimjim thrives on the Zoas and Poly's, maybe he can chime in.
I see! I heard that there were some that don't contain the toxin, but finding what do and dont are difficult due to how many varieties there are. I could have misread the article I heard this from tho.

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that as long as you know they contain any toxins and respect that, their really isn't any issue. Most of what we handle, whether it be a zoa, LPS, or SPS, they all have some form of defense to help them survive in the ocean.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that as long as you know they contain any toxins and respect that, their really isn't any issue. Most of what we handle, whether it be a zoa, LPS, or SPS, they all have some form of defense to help them survive in the ocean.
That's fair. Other than heat, is their any other things that can cause the toxin to be "activated". Forgive me if im misunderstanding how the toxin works. Im just trying to make sure that no one in my home will be at risk to it.

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. Other than heat, is their any other things that can cause the toxin to be "activated". Forgive me if im misunderstanding how the toxin works. Im just trying to make sure that no one in my home will be at risk to it.
I have found that most issues with their toxins are due to people not wearing the proper PPE when fragging, or boiling the rock on which they grew to try and kill them. They don't emit a toxin that pollutes the air, they really just defend themselves.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful coral, don't let some of the things you read prevent you from having them. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, they all have some level of chemical protection. A small handful (mostly palys) possess a dangerous level of toxicity for humans. But you are well advised to treat them ALL with some caution. Just the basics:

eye protection (numerous times I have had them squirt when removed from the water.)
no cuts on hands fingers or glove up
keep your hands out of your eyes, nose, mouth
Heck, we all have masks these days so that can't hurt.

3 of my LFS service people got sick from paly tank teardown. Flu-like symptoms, swollen eye, swollen finger.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, they all have some level of chemical protection. A small handful (mostly palys) possess a dangerous level of toxicity for humans. But you are well advised to treat them ALL with some caution. Just the basics:

eye protection (numerous times I have had them squirt when removed from the water.)
no cuts on hands fingers or glove up
keep your hands out of your eyes, nose, mouth
Heck, we all have masks these days so that can't hurt.

3 of my LFS service people got sick from paly tank teardown. Flu-like symptoms, swollen eye, swollen finger.
Yikes, well I suppose a face shield might not hurt then haha. Appreciate the info, I will be cautious when I decide to introduce them to my tank

KLaRue

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also interested in the answer(s) to this question. Based on the level of toxicity, can anyone provide a list of least to greater toxic varieties? Handling mistakes happen and it would be better to enter the “zoa world” with a more safe point.

AS

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, to hopefully put an end to this, look at the toxins we deal with daily and don;t think twice about it. For instance, gasoline, we use this every day. I can't speculate on the possible issues that would arise from it as they would probably be endless. We have become numb to the issues, we do our best to keep it out of cuts, we don't drink it, we try to not have any contact with it. We just don't think twice to what we do to prevent any contact with it as it has become the norm for us in general.

I bring that example up as it is something we become accustomed to. Don't over think the issues of zoa's and poly's, just respect them, and they will eventually become the new norm as well. :)

Another thing to look at is, how many reefers actually have them vs. the issues with their toxins, HMM!!!

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, to hopefully put an end to this, look at the toxins we deal with daily and don;t think twice about it. For instance, gasoline, we use this every day. I can't speculate on the possible issues that would arise from it as they would probably be endless. We have become numb to the issues, we do our best to keep it out of cuts, we don't drink it, we try to not have any contact with it. We just don't think twice to what we do to prevent any contact with it as it has become the norm for us in general.

I bring that example up as it is something we become accustomed to. Don't over think the issues of zoa's and poly's, just respect them, and they will eventually become the new norm as well. :)

Another thing to look at is, how many reefers actually have them vs. the issues with their toxins, HMM!!!
Thats accually a very good point. Almost every house on the planet have bleach and vinegar, if someone were to be irresponsible and mix them together, they can poison their whole household (releases clorine gas). As long we are responsible,these things are not a danger to us. Strange how new things can provoke so much paranoia to the human mind. Thanks again :D

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas/palys are very safe to raise in a tank. My 180g has 1000s of zoas/palys in there and my hands are in the water all the time.

Zoas are nearly a non factor with toxins. Even when I'm fragging zoas I get their tissue-slime on my fingers all the time. I wash my hands after the fragging project and dont give it a 2nd thought

Palys...especially wild ones.... are one you need to respect more. If I have paly slime on my hands within a couple mins I I thoroughly wash my hands. After prolonged exposure to palys I'll wash and then rub hands with rubbing alcohol

The only time you need to be careful is any slime on your hands that could end up in an eye or in your mouth from an unattentive rub/scratch

Respect the slime. I've had palytoxin poisoning twice...similar to the bad case of the flu BUT I did some really stupid stuff to poison myself...like SCRUB PALYS into mush and not respect the slime.

Zoas/palys in your tank without disturbing the slime..you are PERFECTLY FINE

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas/palys are very safe to raise in a tank. My 180g has 1000s of zoas/palys in there and my hands are in the water all the time.

Zoas are nearly a non factor with toxins. Even when I'm frag zoas I get their tissue-slime on my fingers all the time. I wash my hands after the fragging project and dont give it a 2nd thought

Palys...especially wild ones.... are one you need to respect more. If I have paly slime on my hands within a couple mins I I thoroughly wash my hands. After prolonged exposure to palys I'll wash and then rub hands with rubbing alcohol

The only time you need to be careful is any slime on your hands that could end up in an eye rub or in your mouth .

Respect the slime. I've had palytoxin poisoning twice...similar to the bad case of the flu BUT I did some really stupid stuff to poison myself...like SCRUB PALYS into mush and not respect the slime.

Zoas/palys in your tank without disturbing the slime..you are PERFECTLY FINE
Thank you! That's along the lines of what I have heard when it comes to paly vs zoa in terms of toxicity. Regardless, I plan on being cautious and respectful with everything in my tank.

Fishurama

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i like to show everyone... Straight from the NIH(national institute of health)
The only way you will get sick from the toxins is if you boil your rock, get it in the air and breathe it in. Hence why you see so many videos of people handling them with bare hands and not getting sick.

" We present the case of a 61-year-old male from Danville, PA who presented to the local hospital with fever, chills and shortness of breath. The previous night he was cleaning his salt-water aquarium and noted corals on the rocks of the aquarium, which he proceeded to clean with boiled water and vinegar. The subject reported having an itchy sensation in his throat, cough, runny nose, sweating and myalgia "

NIH link

Way more indepth NIH link for people who really want to learn.

Very detail NIH toxin article

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i like to show everyone... Straight from the NIH(national institute of health)
The only way you will get sick from the toxins is if you boil your rock, get it in the air and breathe it in. Hence why you see so many videos of people handling them with bare hands and not getting sick.

" We present the case of a 61-year-old male from Danville, PA who presented to the local hospital with fever, chills and shortness of breath. The previous night he was cleaning his salt-water aquarium and noted corals on the rocks of the aquarium, which he proceeded to clean with boiled water and vinegar. The subject reported having an itchy sensation in his throat, cough, runny nose, sweating and myalgia "

NIH link

Way more indepth NIH link for people who really want to learn.

Very detail NIH toxin article
I'll check it out, thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishurama

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check it out, thanks!
As long as you don't plan to boil your rocks you will be fine. These are a great colorful, generally easy to keep, sadly with a bad name attached to them because a few people choose to boil their rocks. Don't be afriad, there is a reason these are listed as beginner friendly for being so "deadly."

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back