Yellow tang aggression

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow tang in qt and I was worried about aggression problems with the sailfin I’m getting. I decided not to put the sailfin in the qt with the yellow because that’s probably a death sentence since it’s only a 10g. I’m nervous that once I put the yellow in my display that he will establish himself and be aggressive towards the sailfin. What do you think I should do?

Hendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try moving rocks and things around right before you add the other tang so they both establish a new territory. How big is your display? The larger the tank the better tangs do together.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just a yellow and a sailfin I'd be concerned about the sailfins aggressions. Tank size and other inhabitants will make a difference. I have 4 yellows, a purple, convict, naso, and vlamingii along with some other fish and except for a quick chace now and then and an occasional tail smack they get on well but my tank is 84x30x25"

EDIT : definatly do not put them both in a 10g.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try moving rocks and things around right before you add the other tang so they both establish a new territory. How big is your display? The larger the tank the better tangs do together.
100. The rocks are going to be extremely hard to move they are glued together. I’ve tried before to adjust a rock and it wouldn’t budge.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just a yellow and a sailfin I'd be concerned about the sailfins aggressions. Tank size and other inhabitants will make a difference. I have 4 yellows, a purple, convict, naso, and vlamingii along with some other fish and except for a quick chace now and then and an occasional tail smack they get on well but my tank is 84x30x25"

EDIT : definatly do not put them both in a 10g.
The yellow is slightly bigger than the sailfin but only by half inch at best. It’s a 100g tank with a Tomini tang, a clownfish, zebra damsel, diamond head goby, and a royal gramma. I don’t think I mentioned this before but I have a baby blue hippo in the qt with the yellow

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll be a lot of tangs on a 100g. If you have enough swim room and rocks for hiding it may work. I've never owned a tomini but have read quite a few post of them being aggressive. If you could possibly pull the current tangs and introduce them all back at once it may increase your odds. Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll be a lot of tangs on a 100g. If you have enough swim room and rocks for hiding it may work. I've never owned a tomini but have read quite a few post of them being aggressive. If you could possibly pull the current tangs and introduce them all back at once it may increase your odds. Just a suggestion.
Lots of swimming room along with caves that good hiding spaces. I’ve had the Tomini for around 2 years and never have had aggression problems with any of my fish.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of each.
I have a 4” yellow with 7” Sailfin.

In your case same ish size, if there’s room, that should work.

Some minor squabbles here and there, but no damage. Lasted 24 hours then friends.

IMG_0247.jpeg

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of swimming room along with caves that good hiding spaces. I’ve had the Tomini for around 2 years and never have had aggression problems with any of my fish.
I have 4 yellows, a convict, purple, naso, and vlamingii along with other fish. Other than an occasional tail smack like tangs do and a short chace from the purple once in a while to show who's boss mine is a very peaceful tank. Which I love. I can't stand watching fish fight constantly. The tangs are the reason I set up a larger tank as my standard 6ft 180g was getting cramped.

EDIT : I also had a hippo in the mix but lost her unexpectedly a few weeks ago after 5 years

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 inch yellow tang, 3 inch Tomini, 0.75 inch blue
100g, yup, but your tang maxed out then.
That’s 5, 3 medi7ms and the sailfish and blue will out pace them in growth.
Sailfin will likely the lead, blue will want second down the road, maybe 1st.
Sometimes there’s a reshuffle as they grow.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100g, yup, but your tang maxed out then.
That’s 5, 3 medi7ms and the sailfish and blue will out pace them in growth.
Sailfin will likely the lead, blue will want second down the road, maybe 1st.
Sometimes there’s a reshuffle as they grow.
I was planning for the sailfin to be my last tang

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the last tang for me as well.
Good luck.

I did put mine in an acclimatization box as a safety, but was released in hours when nobody paid much attention to the new entry.

I’ve not found this group overly nasty like Powders and Achilles, but in the end, the sailfins going to be at the top in shear size.

Good luck!

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins get the size of a dinnerplate… I have a 7 inch (both height with fins out and nose to tail) and he is boss tang in my 300 gallon. You wont be able to keep the sailfin long in that tank to be honest. Big fish

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins get the size of a dinnerplate… I have a 7 inch (both height with fins out and nose to tail) and he is boss tang in my 300 gallon. You wont be able to keep the sailfin long in that tank to be honest. Big fish
Yeah I want to get him really small so I can get the most time out of him

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I want to get him really small so I can get the most time out of him
Will probably only be like 6 months to be honest. Mine is about 7 months old, the guy got him about 6-7 months ago for his 160 and now he is 7 inches. Just be prepared some seem to grow faster than others. He was well fed with the other guy and now with me. He is a little bigger than when I got him and he has been with me only a month

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have advice about acclimating the new tang without moving the rockwork?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back