Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

Neptune

Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

• Total voters

Carlos@CoralVue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pumps out there that are more than $250 and did not require as much R&D. If the product was so easy and cheap to make, then how come all major testing companies did not release one years ago? People have spent lots of time and resources into creating this product and it is only fair that they recoup some of the their money and time.

This product is NOT required to have a successful tank. People have had successful tanks for years by testing Alkalinity manually on a daily basis. But for some people, this product is something that they want or may even need. Maybe they travel a lot, or maybe like George, they rather spend their time with family... whatever the reason is, it is up to each individual person to decide what products to purchase based on their individual needs.

Some people will not hesitate to drop $250-$500 on a 1/4" frag.

To me, this machine gives me peace of mind. I am more comfortable knowing that my tank has stable alkalinity with very little swings. I am more comfortable going online and spending $400 on an awesome monti or acro and putting it in my system because I feel like I am giving it a good chance. Yes, I can use a trusty Hanna checker but it requires me to be there to test and THAT is a luxury I don't have.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the question, yes i would purchase this for $1000 if i could afford it. And i would also encorage my local school who has a 120 reef tank that i help maintain with a lot of sps in it because the building is only occupied by people 8 hours a day 5 days a week. For this tank it would be peace of mind and somewhat of a nice failsafe incorporated into it. For my home tank, this product is more of a luxury item than a product i NEED on my tank. But being a equipment junky i want it just because, lol.

On another note can someone from coralvue explain in detail exactly how it works, how often maintenance is required, etc.. Sell me this product..

gcarroll

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the unit is setup and running, you can disconnect the ethernet cable form the side of it and it will continue to work. It will monitor and dose according to the information you entered in its local memory. You will be able to see the latest test results and the historical test result are still stored in it's internal memory. You will not be able to access the unit to make changes or see historical data.

So the unit will continue to operate even if it is not connected to the internet.
Thanks for the explanation. That is good news to my ears. As it sits, it seems like a great product. I don't see much to complain about. Of course there are some things I wish were different but that is just what I would need to make it work for me and the way I run a reef. I'll share those changes with you over drinks at RAP Orlando.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Carlos

Can you show us a picture of the web interface or the app that is used to control this?

Also, do know if it would be possible to add a second pump to the dosing pump? For example if it doses 10ml of alk it would also dose 10ml of something else

Last question is there something in it to calibrate the doses? For example esv is stronger than BRS 2 part. Or would it require a specific concentration?

Carlos@CoralVue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the screen shots that you asked. Now, remember that this is very much like a "medical" device so while it is not very pretty too look at, it is VERY functional and everything works as it should and it does what it is intended to do. Also, as with any software, it is always being updated so what you see now will always be changing for the better as the company gets feedback from users. Software changes are easy to deploy as long as the hardware is solid and in this case, IT IS!

Main menu:
Screen Shot on 2016-12-02 at 20_37_33.png

Historical Data:
Screen Shot on 2016-12-02 at 20_38_42.png

This unit was built to monitor and fine tune your Alk readings. This means that while on a small tank (<200 gal) it can provide the full Alk needs, on larger tanks, the unit by itself will not be able to and will only work as a compliment to your current setup. What I mean by this is that physically, there is only so much sodium bicarbonate solution you can make and dose at once to keep the Alk levels stable. If it gets to the point where the needs cannot be maintained, you will need to run a Ca reactor or balling method.

Running it as a sole method of providing Alk:
In this case, the unit will test alkalinity and then based on the volume of your system and the Alk level you wish to keep, the unit will automatically compute how much sodium bicarbonate solution is needed to bring your Alk to the predetermined level you selected and will dose it to your system after the test is completed.

Running it in conjunction with a Ca Reactor or Balling Method:
This is when you have larger systems that require substantial amounts of solution. In this case, the unit will compliment your already existing Ca reactor or Balling method and help you fine tune and maintain a stable Alkalinity. Say you keep your system at 9.5 dKH. What you would do is set up your CaRx or Balling method to keep your Alk at a slightly lower level of 9 dKH and then the KHGuardian would take over the last .5dKH to ensure accuracy and stability. When your dKH reading goes down to 9.4, then KHGuardian will automatically dose enough sodium bicarbonate solution to raise your Alk level .1 and bring you back to 9.5 dKH.

Can you hook up a second dosing pump?
Not at this time but it is something that they are working on. There are new and upcoming modules that will test other elements and will be easily added to the KHGuardian. Their goal is to have a machine that allows you to have true peace of mind when it comes to your aquarium.

Can you use different Alk solutions with it?

No, and here is why. Every solution out on the market has different concentrations. There is no standard concentration that tells every solution manufacturer to make a solution that will achieve the same dKH level using the same amount of solution. The KHGuardian relies on a standard solution to know exactly how much to dose to raise the Alk in your tank X number of points. Using different solutions would require each user to enter the exact ml per dose per volume needed. That is way too much math and not something people want to do on a regular basis!!! For this reason, KHGuardian relies on a sodium bicarbonate solution (60g of Sodium Bicarbonate per 1 L of RODI) that simple, economical and the same across the globe. KHGuardian has already been programmed to know the concentration of the solution and after you enter the exact volume of your tank, it can tell how much solution is needed to raise your dKH accordingly. KHGuardian helps you do the computation for you instead of you having to figure it out and hope that you got your math right!

So to answer your last question, since you are using a standard solution, as long as you supply the machine with a solution with the right ratio of sodium bicarbonate and water, there is no need to calibrate the machine!

If it is ok with you all, I will add a step-by-step list of what the unit does to test your water tomorrow. Right now, it is family time!!! I don't have to check Alk manually so I get to spend more time with the family and less time tinkering with the tank ;)

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I pay 1K for a complete ALK. Monitor and dosing system.....YES.....will it be this one?

Time will tell in a short while whom comes out with the better system that I can integrate into my aquarium the best. I will invest, but not until all competition is tested.

eltonw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I saw a lot of message here discussing KH Guardian(KHG). To be a manufacturer of KHG I think I need to let everyone knows a short story about why we have this product study in past 4 years. Please spend few mins to read article in below link then you will see why we need the device as KH Guardian.

Start from Page 24 to 30.
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazines_files/7288251b27c8f0e73f4d7f483b06a785-issue-38.pdf

KHG designer David Cheng is one of best friend in Taiwan, I need to say ""Thank you again"" for helping me to keep my reef heath and save me a lot of money to buy the SPS again and again although we spend money on luxurious food and wine with families.

But most important thing is that you free me from my tank and I have more time in sharing with my family in vacation. I am no longer to be a "" REEF SLAVER"" and I also will not lose USD15K again to gather SPS.

By this message I also need say thank you for over 30 reef keepers in the past 4 years work with us and feedback so many data then we can be the first man having this product show people in the world. I am so proud of you guys!!!

No matter how the price you think KHG is a pride product in aquarium world.

Thanks every one who interested our product. And wish you enjoy the happiness for owning KHG to take care your tank.

If you want to see more info please join our FB here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1768033033431949/

Eric Noa Jr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thing that 1k is way to high. I would like to see a product that just test the Alkalinty because for those of us who have already invest $500 on a dosing pump or or over 1k in a CaRx this dosing pump is useless, plus then you have the problem that it will only dose alk so you are left to figure out how to dose an equal amount of cal. I read they are working on adding another pump but how much more is that going to cost? $1500??? The proposed price is simply outrageous.

Another thing, since this is marketed for the ballers with busy lifestyles what happens when if the calibration is off and the unit is getting an inaccurate reading for a week and dosing the wrong amount based on the inaccurate reading??? Is there an option for the guardia to notify you if the results get out of a set threshold?

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Carlos for the detailed explanation. I think the user interface looks fine and don't have a problem with it. The log file formatting isn't pretty but if gives you the raw data that you need

I also see your point about the need for a set stock solution since it would kinda open the door for negative feedback that was based on an incorrect calculation

Thanks for pointing out what the stock solution needs to be and also the stock solution may not provide all that is needed. That doesn't seem to be a big deal either

reefwiser

LMAS
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this development for a long time and yes I plan to purchase one. I have been keeping SPS since 1990 and I can get them to grow like crazy and when that happens I am racing to keep up with the Cal and Alk in my system. So it will help me greatly to have.
I am not an average hobbyist I am a SPS guy that loves my corals and do anything to keep them happy. If you don't spend time watching growth of your SPS and their uptake of Alk which can tell you a lot about how your system is working. I have been watching Elton and David Cheng work on this for several years. An this type of system has been on the industrial market since 2010 so its not a new idea. Just one that is now being able to come to our Hobby.
http://www.apolloscitech.com/titrator.html
https://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web...F39F9536AC620A95C1257EDC0048B162?OpenDocument
http://alkalinitymeasurementdevice.onmason.com/files/2014/06/ECE-492-Design-Document_V4.pdf

I have more money in a few SPS frag than this device, so it no big thing to me. I have way to much invested in corals to cause the cost to be an issue. Once you start testing Alk daily like I do and really work with the corals to get their needs met you see the value of the product.
I hope to see Neptune and GHL's entrance to this space as we are finally get tools that we have long needed to properly care for SPS in a closed environment. The average Reef keeper has trouble using any test kit let alone testing several times a day to see how the uptake of Cal and Alk are on trend with proper growth. So it will let users you DO understand the importance, a system to help them care for their SPS.

Jonty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have signed up for the first shipment and look forward to receiving a unit int he next few weeks, one comment is that the form factor of the unit is haphazard and gives the appearance of a bunch of units jammed together. Given the price point, a more thoughtful design would be more compelling, in the mean time including the clear box they show for mounting would be a good idea.

Jonty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I watch the video it says Ph is calculated by a Ph probe ? give PH swings throughout the day how does this remain accurate? my Ph swings 7.9-8.15 each day but my Kh is stable over that range?

If it is just a Ph calculation why are not controller company's just building in the calculation to determine Alk for us?

Last edited:

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price wise out of my league. A very interesting product for sure. As with a lot of the products in the industry I suspect a good percentage would need to wait for competition and price drops.

Thanks for continuing to push development of our hobby!

reefwiser

LMAS
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To do all Kh, Cal and Mg you would be talking about 9 dosing pumps and under 1K that is not going to happen.
I don't expect this to be something that everyone will have. So I don't look for Chinese knockoff by Jeabo. An do you really want a cheap unit controlling your reef tank. Not me I have too much money on the line and my wife would not be happy.:)

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back