What is wrong with my tailspot blenny? Struggles to keep weight, bones or insides visible on belly, now fins missing and red mark

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I checked on ebay and I found some for sale (I'm in England where I have never seen it in an LFS) fastest delivery will be August 1st or 3rd, I leave on the 10th so to play it safe I'll have to treat when I'm back. Luckily, the blenny seems better today, I have fed heavier and it seems to have also maintained its weight from yesterday, the infection seems to have gone too.

When I did prazi last time, not long after I lost one of my hermits, could it be due to it? It also seemed to have stripped nitrates down to around 0
Prazi won’t kill hermits, that was coincidental. If you are using Prazipro, the solvent used in that is like carbon dosing and nitrates will sometimes drop as a result.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi won’t kill hermits, that was coincidental. If you are using Prazipro, the solvent used in that is like carbon dosing and nitrates will sometimes drop as a result.
Thanks. Since the fluke symptoms have been ongoing for at least a few months, would waiting until I'm back and treating no earlier than August 20th allow enough time? I just want some time after the treatment to be near the tank, unfortunately that isn't possible. I mean, in general how long does gill flukes take to kill a fish? There are no "negative" signs, just the yawning and occasional flashing (the flashing yesterday has stopped today, or at least come down in frequency)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Since the fluke symptoms have been ongoing for at least a few months, would waiting until I'm back and treating no earlier than August 20th allow enough time? I just want some time after the treatment to be near the tank, unfortunately that isn't possible. I mean, in general how long does gill flukes take to kill a fish? There are no "negative" signs, just the yawning and occasional flashing (the flashing yesterday has stopped today, or at least come down in frequency)

There is no set time frame for flukes to kill a fish, too many variables. In general, flukes are slower to kill fish than protozoans are. I've had cases where fish have had flukes for months/years with no visible symptoms. In other cases, I've lost fish to flukes in a few weeks to a month.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set time frame for flukes to kill a fish, too many variables. In general, flukes are slower to kill fish than protozoans are. I've had cases where fish have had flukes for months/years with no visible symptoms. In other cases, I've lost fish to flukes in a few weeks to a month.
Thanks

So I am guessing I am pretty safe to wit at least 20 days until I treat, the blenny does seem to be improving

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding heavier and I do notice an improvement in his weight, although I ca still see bumps on his belly and also the visible bone that goes from the front to end of his body, is this disease related?

Screenshot_20240730-233547_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20240730-233109_Video Player.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding heavier and I do notice an improvement in his weight, although I ca still see bumps on his belly and also the visible bone that goes from the front to end of his body, is this disease related?

Screenshot_20240730-233547_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20240730-233109_Video Player.jpg
Those look like ribs and/or intestines - please don’t go too far in the other direction and cause it to rupture it’s gut from over feeding!

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like ribs and/or intestines - please don’t go too far in the other direction and cause it to rupture it’s gut from over feeding!
Ok, I will not increase feeding anymore them.

Is there a reason why the ribs or intestines are visible? They were not like that when I purchased him, nor do other blennies I see...

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^
One more thing I'd like to add
I might order the PraziPro tomorrow, is that a good idea as the temperature in a lot of the country (England) is around 28c/82f, it'll take at least 3 days to arrive I believe. Can PraziPro go bad in higher temps? Just don't want it to heat up during shipping.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^
One more thing I'd like to add
I might order the PraziPro tomorrow, is that a good idea as the temperature in a lot of the country (England) is around 28c/82f, it'll take at least 3 days to arrive I believe. Can PraziPro go bad in higher temps? Just don't want it to heat up during shipping.
Prazipro does have a shelf life, it should have an expiration sticker on the bottom of the bottle. I’ve stored it long term at 80 degrees with no issue.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro does have a shelf life, it should have an expiration sticker on the bottom of the bottle. I’ve stored it long term at 80 degrees with no issue.
Thanks. So I am guessing you're saying I ahould order it now, cofrect?

Also just from my other post, are the visible ribs and intestines and the long bone on the whole body of the fish I can see on both sides disease related?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240802_204516.jpg
Screenshot_20240802-204611_Gallery.jpg

Not sure if this helps diagnose internal parasties, but the blenny just did a very long poop, he has occasionally done this ever since I had him really

It look him a while to get it out, and it right happened after another long one came out

The pic of it outside the water looks different as it of course got mushed up and broken up a bit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240802_204516.jpg
Screenshot_20240802-204611_Gallery.jpg

Not sure if this helps diagnose internal parasties, but the blenny just did a very long poop, he has occasionally done this ever since I had him really

It look him a while to get it out, and it right happened after another long one came out

The pic of it outside the water looks different as it of course got mushed up and broken up a bit
If you have a microscope you could look at the feces for signs of parasites, otherwise there isn’t much you can tell from feces unless they are white or bile stained.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a microscope you could look at the feces for signs of parasites, otherwise there isn’t much you can tell from feces unless they are white or bile stained.
I do sometimes notice it being white on the clownfish. Is it normal for the poop to be the length it is as seen on the image? Sometimes it goes to the same length as the entire fish (from the blenny)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do sometimes notice it being white on the clownfish. Is it normal for the poop to be the length it is as seen on the image? Sometimes it goes to the same length as the entire fish (from the blenny)
That can be a sign of constipation. If you have any frozen brine shrimp, try feeding that for a day or two to see if that reduces this.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hangs out of the fish all/most of the day?
Each poop that is long takes a while to come out, they do come out eventually. I just thought that healthy fish had theirs come out very fast and not be almost the length of the actual fish, I just don't know if it is a bad sign or not

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each poop that is long takes a while to come out, they do come out eventually. I just thought that healthy fish had theirs come out very fast and not be almost the length of the actual fish, I just don't know if it is a bad sign or not
Try brine shrimp for another day….

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back