What is wrong with my tailspot blenny? Struggles to keep weight, bones or insides visible on belly, now fins missing and red mark

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use metro and focus to treat internal parasites or could praziquantel take care of that

Metro + Focus (if the metro is 1% by weight in the food) is a treatment against internal gut flagellate protozoans. Praziquantel in the water treats for flukes and internal cestodes (tapeworms). So - their treatment targets don't overlap at all.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro + Focus (if the metro is 1% by weight in the food) is a treatment against internal gut flagellate protozoans. Praziquantel in the water treats for flukes and internal cestodes (tapeworms). So - their treatment targets don't overlap at all.
I am unsure if my fish have them in all honesty,
The blenny is way better now than he was in the pictures at the beginning of this thread, he doesn't seem to lose weight as fast (I have been feeding more and more of a varied diet)

I still notice that he has a lumpy belly, and you can see 2 horizontal lines (like bones) go from the front to the rear of the fish would you say this is anything to worry about

1726504135343.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure if my fish have them in all honesty,
The blenny is way better now than he was in the pictures at the beginning of this thread, he doesn't seem to lose weight as fast (I have been feeding more and more of a varied diet)

I still notice that he has a lumpy belly, and you can see 2 horizontal lines (like bones) go from the front to the rear of the fish would you say this is anything to worry about

1726504135343.png
The blenny looks really good to me.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blenny looks really good to me.
That is really good to hear!
Just for comparison, this was him on July 27th compared to now

1726520409153.jpeg

1726520422855.jpeg

Something today I noticed however was VERY THIN white poop that was fairly long, which I hear is related to internal parasites, would you suggest running the full PraziPro treatment and seeing how he does with internal issues? If there isn't improvement, what would you suggest next?

thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really good to hear!
Just for comparison, this was him on July 27th compared to now

1726520409153.jpeg

1726520422855.jpeg

Something today I noticed however was VERY THIN white poop that was fairly long, which I hear is related to internal parasites, would you suggest running the full PraziPro treatment and seeing how he does with internal issues? If there isn't improvement, what would you suggest next?

thanks
I wouldn’t treat it with prazi, that only works against cestodes. The blenny is doing really well, the feces are probably related to its diet or are idiopathic.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t treat it with prazi, that only works against cestodes. The blenny is doing really well, the feces are probably related to its diet or are idiopathic.
Thanks Jay, ok I'll run the PraziPro but to target flukes and see if flashing stops, I am happy the blenny is doing good as a 2 months ago I thought I was going to lose him.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the flashing is continuing and I am using PraziPro I actually overdosed by not not accounting for rock displacement and just using the measurements of the tank, I was aiming to put in 5.3ml, made a bit of a mess with the stuff (it's really oily) and put more like around 6ml in so I actually "over, overdosed" I hope I get no negative effects from this as it's in a reef tank

But my question is that since I don't actually know how much I put in, does it matter if next dose I put in slightly less but still the target amount (5.3 instead of around 6) I just don't know if that would cause biodegradation to become more of a thing and then next dose being useless because I put less in that is having more biodegradation

2nd question is, my heater is set to 25c, but my room warmed up causing the tank to reach 26.6c, does this affect when I should do the second dose? What makes this more confusing, is that in the sump of this (all in one tank) where the heater is, the water temp reads 27c+ even up to 28c in some areas...

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the flashing is continuing and I am using PraziPro I actually overdosed by not not accounting for rock displacement and just using the measurements of the tank, I was aiming to put in 5.3ml, made a bit of a mess with the stuff (it's really oily) and put more like around 6ml in so I actually "over, overdosed" I hope I get no negative effects from this as it's in a reef tank

But my question is that since I don't actually know how much I put in, does it matter if next dose I put in slightly less but still the target amount (5.3 instead of around 6) I just don't know if that would cause biodegradation to become more of a thing and then next dose being useless because I put less in that is having more biodegradation

2nd question is, my heater is set to 25c, but my room warmed up causing the tank to reach 26.6c, does this affect when I should do the second dose? What makes this more confusing, is that in the sump of this (all in one tank) where the heater is, the water temp reads 27c+ even up to 28c in some areas...
Sorry - there have been too many posts in this thread for me to follow. Please understand that I’m juggling dozens of threads at one time. With these long threads, I simply can’t go back and read all of the previous pages to try and see what was covered before.

The 6ml dose is fine. I often increase dosing to offset degradation, but that is tricky, so I normally don’t suggest that for others to try.

I can’t tell you if the higher sump temperature would require a shorter redosing timeline or not. My gut feeling isn’t that it doesn’t matter too much.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - there have been too many posts in this thread for me to follow. Please understand that I’m juggling dozens of threads at one time. With these long threads, I simply can’t go back and read all of the previous pages to try and see what was covered before.

The 6ml dose is fine. I often increase dosing to offset degradation, but that is tricky, so I normally don’t suggest that for others to try.

I can’t tell you if the higher sump temperature would require a shorter redosing timeline or not. My gut feeling isn’t that it doesn’t matter too much.
I apologise, I understand what you mean

I will just wait it out and see what happens

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biodegradation is making my prazi treatments useless I believe, is there a way I dose it in such a way that keeps a high enough therapeutic level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biodegradation is making my prazi treatments useless I believe, is there a way I dose it in such a way that keeps a high enough therapeutic level
Not that I know of. I’ve “guessed” at it and doubled the dose - but there is some risk with that. Also, when you raise the dose, you just feed the bacteria more.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of. I’ve “guessed” at it and doubled the dose - but there is some risk with that. Also, when you raise the dose, you just feed the bacteria more.
That's unfortunate then.

can I just "manage" flukes? Does it actually reduce the lifespan of a fish (again, sorry for the large amount of posts in this thread I just want to have clarity on what to do with these fish)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate then.

can I just "manage" flukes? Does it actually reduce the lifespan of a fish (again, sorry for the large amount of posts in this thread I just want to have clarity on what to do with these fish)
I should add, when I said I doubled the dose, that is only for pure praziquantel powder, you can’t double the dose of Prazipro because of the solvent used.

Some public aquariums manage flukes because they can’t get them all out of their systems. I’ve had a couple of cases where I had systems with flukes in them and I didn’t even know it. In most hobbyist tanks though, the fluke infections become acute and the fish start to die from it.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, when I said I doubled the dose, that is only for pure praziquantel powder, you can’t double the dose of Prazipro because of the solvent used.

Some public aquariums manage flukes because they can’t get them all out of their systems. I’ve had a couple of cases where I had systems with flukes in them and I didn’t even know it. In most hobbyist tanks though, the fluke infections become acute and the fish start to die from it.
I can get a 50% praziquantel powder but the amount I would need to put in would be hard to measure as it's such a low amount.

What I will do is dose 6ml and then 8 hour later add in another 3ml, in an attempt to keep up with biodegradation, I might as well just use up this bottle.

I only assumed flukes can be managed as the latest fish I added were 9 months ago, and that's probably when flukes were introduced but maybe even further back than that (1 year ago). I do definitely notice occasional flashing, and fairly frequent yawning, on the basis of these symptoms would you say it's an infection bad enough to eventually kill? (also considering they've been in the tank at LEAST 9 months)

Thanks

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am still trying with prazipro

I need to resume NOPOX carbon dosing as my phosphate is going high, can I start dosing it again without fueling bacteria (prazi eating bacteria) or are they not even related

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still trying with prazipro

I need to resume NOPOX carbon dosing as my phosphate is going high, can I start dosing it again without fueling bacteria (prazi eating bacteria) or are they not even related

Sorry - I can't say, I've never dosed Nopox and Prazipro at the same time......

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back