Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all, my tank specifications are below:

Total System Water Volume: 164 Gallons
Display Tank Water Volume: 132 Gallons
Dimensions: 59.1“L x 25.6“W x 23.6“H

I have about 25 Fish. A few tangs and angel
Fish. My nitrates are at about 50, due to the bioload/feeding. I’m currently dosing Red Sea’s nitrate removal and I have some chemi pure elite in the sump. What would you suggest I do to remove nitrates/phosphates consistently, to get them down to 10? I’m currently doing a 10 gallon water change every other day. The majority of my corals are LPS, they seem to be doing well and the fish seem extremely happy. My wife and I feed lots of nori and only frozen food.

Thank you in advance for your help, guidance and consideration..

Last edited:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer, refugium, or both?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about that second reply - please ignore content like that. Most of us try our best to be helpful.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use an algae scrubber every morning before heading to work and in the evening..
That poster was referring to a type of filter that runs continuously on your system, and not an algae scrapper that cleans your glass periodically. An algae turf scrubber is basically a filter that has a light and grows algae in it. The algae uses up some of the nutrients in your tank, and then you remove the algae from your system. It's like growing Cheato in your refugium, just a dedicated device to grow the algae.

vancouverredsea350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That poster was referring to a type of filter that runs continuously on your system, and not an algae scrapper that cleans your glass periodically. An algae turf scrubber is basically a filter that has a light and grows algae in it. The algae uses up some of the nutrients in your tank, and then you remove the algae from your system. It's like growing Cheato in your refugium, just a dedicated device to grow the algae.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
More than likely I will stop being a supporting member on this forum… the advice I’m getting on here is becoming more and more discouraging.
I recommend daily 2-3 gallon water changes. I do this regularly and run12-15 with nitrates having 38 fish in the tank. With large number of fish, overfeeding can occur and raise nitrate

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 fish seems like a very heavy bioload. Also, you’re better off doing a fewer larger water changes than many small water changes.
Yes, I agree, it’s a lot of fish. I’m sure there are many folks out there with a similar type of scenario. So you think fewer larger water changes would work better.. how large would you say and how often? Due to my schedule and my setup with the refugien I thought smaller 15 gallon (10%) would work better every few days. I think there is someone on here (vette guy) that does something similar to this and he has a huge bioload, just with a larger tank..

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend daily 2-3 gallon water changes. I do this regularly and run12-15 with nitrates having 38 fish in the tank. With large number of fish, overfeeding can occur and raise nitrate
Thank you Vette guy, I was looking for your response since you have a similar type of setup..

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a bunch of 50% water changes to cut the nutrient values in half until you get to 10 ppm and lower PO4.

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely I will stop being a supporting member on this forum… the advice I’m getting on here is becoming more and more discouraging.
Same thing happened to me and I was off of here for a year
Do NOT let stuff like that influence you in any way.
Lots of great, smart and kind people on here to help.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back