Unknown Coral

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I see this is from Australian live rock, I take back my Montastraea ID. My second best guess would be Diploastrea heliopora.
IDK, your first guess with Montastraea cavernosa fits so well with the color, growth, ect.

It's gorgeous whatever it is.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IDK, your first guess with Montastraea cavernosa fits so well with the color, growth, ect.

I never heard of that but when it was first suggested and I looked it up, I agree it looked correct

OP
OP
MaximaLover!

MaximaLover!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't look like anything I've seen in the hobby. My best guess is that it's either some sort of severely deformed Merulinid, or it's a Montastraea cavernosa. How a Montastraea got into the hobby--I don't know. Maybe it was illegally collected or came on some maricultured rock, or it was given to a hobbyist by a scientist.
I also thought it was a Montastraea cavernosa and tried to make sure if they were positive it was from Australia or not and to be honest they had no actual confirmation it was from Australia just word of mouth and I tried to find whatever mushrooms they came with so I could do my own digging but nothing.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never heard of that but when it was first suggested and I looked it up, I agree it looked correct
To my knowledge, M. cavernosa isn't found in Australian waters; M. curta is, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

For Diploastrea heliopora, the links below may help with determining if that's a good fit or not (they have both pics and info on diagnosing the coral):

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To my knowledge, M. cavernosa isn't found in Australian waters; M. curta is, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

For Diploastrea heliopora, the links below may help with determining if that's a good fit or not (they have both pics and info on diagnosing the coral):
The plot thickens! We don’t have confirmation it was actually from Australia. See post 23

What we know is that the original owner bought a frag of mushroom corals on a rock and this was a hitchhiker that grew out and was traded / given to the OP here

However the original owner thinks the mushrooms were of Australian origin but does not have confirmation

OP
OP
MaximaLover!

MaximaLover!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some pictures taken just now with my HG micromusa acan in the picture to compare.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpeg
    IMG_2493.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 65

encrustingacro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is as open as I ever saw it and it is definitely more open at night as a colony. I will get night shots soon probably tonight.
Yeah, probably Diploastrea based on the septal ridges

Google lens says this
1724811008014.jpeg

Or favia
Or closed zoas
I wouldn't trust Google Lens or any image recognition AI, as they usually get IDs wrong for corals.

Those are acans

This is similar from above but has a bulbous shape
It’s not any of the google lens suggestions
technically Micromussa

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back