Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's is exactly what is happening. Even tho they are wide angle lights, there's a hot spot under them. I wish BRS did a spotlight on the A160WE, but they completely left it out when doing the light tests. I'll see about trying to reposition the corals. The duncans I think I can save, the galaxea looks like dog poop tho.

Just move it to less light but decent flow, don't right it off yet!
If it drops any more heads I would give it an Iodine dip.

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright this is what, morning 4 of the chaeto test? Still kicking, still green, still a ball. Ulva is still green too and it's right under the Death Star. Maybe we turn this light on for a hour or two in the middle of our cycle and see what happens.
20180101_071804.jpg

This is all the skimmer has pulled in two days. Still on minimum, don't want to go higher and pull away from chaeto. The skimmer is back up filtration and oxygenation.
20180101_071945.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Happy 2018 to everyone,
My galaxea isn't looking good...
I have similar problems with YUMA'S and my kessels, they do fine then turn to jelly, I have 1 Lime green Genetically
engineered yuma that likes high par.

The stand pipe in the middle just kind of wobbles around and there's nothing to hold the carbon in place other than a sponge,
I have 2 reactors My 2 little fishes is like the one you have the stand pipe wobbles @ 65$ was not worth it, my 75$ Bashsea is a beauty but the sponges lasted 3 months and cant get replacements and the base plate cracked.
1 task takes 3 to complete, So i hope for 2018 is to get that down to two!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright this is what, morning 4 of the chaeto test? Still kicking, still green, still a ball. Ulva is still green too and it's right under the Death Star. Maybe we turn this light on for a hour or two in the middle of our cycle and see what happens.
View attachment 643597

This is all the skimmer has pulled in two days. Still on minimum, don't want to go higher and pull away from chaeto. The skimmer is back up filtration and oxygenation.
View attachment 643598

Nac 3.5 skimmer?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @najer i wouldn’t write off the lps. I had a torch that has looked like doo doo for the last month or two. I’ll leave for week and move it. I finally found a spot Saturday and it opened all the way up.

I was so excited I called my wife down to show her. She wasn’t as excited as I was.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never worked with kessels but is it possible to get the lights a little higher so you don’t have a spotlight effect.

I've done a little bit of research just now, and seems like the average mounting height for these lights is 6-8" off the water. I think I'm at 6.5" with minimal spillover. Also, I saw most people aren't running these things super high either like BRS was on their video. With two over the tank, I think 30% is as much seahorse power as I need.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked everything with the Seneye. 30% power everything running normally. Right under the surface under each light is 220 PAR. Every where there is a coral is between 40 and 60 PAR. Like a big flat blanket. Top of the rocks, sand, acantraz... all the same. We're going to leave the lights here and continue to wonder how 60 par is melting corals.

Avast

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people running 3, 4 and 500 PAR and doing fine, I have 60 and I'm melting coral. This is why I'm confused.

What is your alkalinity? Higher alk makes it easier to fry your sticks Under light. Those massive number guys run a stable alk at 7-7.5

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, time to sit down and relax with a traditional southern new years dinner.

Pork, because it was expensive and slaughtering a whole pig to start the year off was thought to bring good luck.

Collards, they represent prosperity.

Black eyed peas, when General Sherman marched thru the south, burning everything in his path, the fields of peas were left alone because they were thought to be only fit to eat for animals. So whenever you feel down and have nothing, remember to look harder.

Cornbread, it's a staple of southern cooking and is the color of gold.

20180101_192220.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they be fading from lack of light? I had that issue and I thought I was bleaching stuff with too much light.
Wouldn't they turn brown trying to increase zooxanthellae? I'm all questions here.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ha, well... we discovered something. This is from Tidal Gardens website, they seem to know what they are taking about and have beautiful corals.

"Lighting - Galaxea does not require as much light as some other corals. It can be kept under normal output fluorescents without much difficulty. In our experience this coral does poorly in medium to high light reef aquariums."
  • Low Light translates to about 30-50 PAR
  • Medium Light is between 50-150 PAR
  • High Light is anything over 150 PAR

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back