Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say my new acans are happy...
20171207_133503.jpg
20171207_135729.jpg

The zoa is on the plug behind it and super tiny. Just one polyp and its still closed but here is the wysiwyg photo from the auction last week.
FB_IMG_1512176725227.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are, it's just that SPS isn't too happy with us right now. The tank is still young. My birds nests are looking good(still waiting on the green one to color back up), the stylo hasn't gotten back to being fuzzy yet and my pocci has all but bailed out on me. LPS and polyps seems to be happy so thats what we're focusing on for now.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor change to the tank today. I removed the blue stylo to the frag tank, as it's condition continued to deteriorate. The rasta zoas have been plagued with hair algae, and I've only managed to get one polyp open on them. I did a dip in H202 yesterday to try and kill off the GHA. Seemed to work for the most part. I did a little surgery on the them and cut out the polyp that's been opening, glued it to a tiny piece of rubble and placed it on a rock. It's still mad at me for cutting on it. Hopefully tomorrow it'll come out to play. The incinerator has been open all day and got placed on the rock too. It's happy as can be. The small Duncan colony was moved to the spot the stylo was in, to make room for a what is going to be a zoa garden on the front rock. The one with the overhang. Acans are still happy. BTA is loving life.
20171208_185855.jpg
20171208_185907.jpg
20171208_185845.jpg
20171208_185953.jpg
20171208_190018.jpg

Last edited:
AS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the last test we did I had an excess of nutrients. 16ppm nitrates and 0.68ppm phosphates. Honestly, I don't trust that Seneye is reporting PAR correctly... or maybe there is some merit to the myth that you can't use PAR to measure Kessils. Those acans we put in yesterday lost some of their blue. Maybe just adjusting but they are happier down on the sand. Five gallon water change tomorrow, made up the water today but its about -30°F in the garage. Ok, ok... it just feels that way to a turtle, but it is cold and rainy today. It's been 70s for a while, now it's finally cold and rainy but it'll warm back up in a few days and really screw with my cold. I already have no voice. We're gonna let the saltwater come up to room temp overnight and do the water change tomorrow.

I'm just gonna keep on with what's working for now. Acans and zoas. Acans were part of the plan from the start and everyone likes colorful zoas... and I was going to work towards the harder to keep stony corals. We might have put the cart before the horse. We are still keeping the birds nest's happy. Might try some more monti cap soon. Right now we have an auction to snipe...

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 65 Springfield IL area and the bottom just dropped out. Went from 65 to can’t reach above freezing. That’s just not fare. Hope you feel better.

Sps are tough to care for. Lps and softies are a lot more forgiving.

Any suggestions on war corals for a softy and lps tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on war corals for a softy and lps tank.
I'd say go for it. Favites are hardy corals. They do have a sweeper tentacles with a nasty sting so keep it away from other corals... but they are a nice encrusting LPS and they come in all kinds of colors.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It snowed here yesterday. I was disappointed it was gone this morning. We are supposed to get our new Tailspot next week. I miss the heck out of that little guy.
Someone said something about possible winter mix here for yesterday... I always say I'll believe it when I see it. Snow here is like snow in hell. You should have sent the barnacles with the frag disks... Tim likes his little hidey hole in the rocks but I'm sure he's like a barnacle too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back