Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was he using for LEDs? I think with my new tank I am going to get one of these to go with my Hydra 26 HDs but I figured I would need a 48".
36" would be great if it will accommodate the 2 Hydras

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was he using for LEDs? I think with my new tank I am going to get one of these to go with my Hydra 26 HDs but I figured I would need a 48".
36" would be great if it will accommodate the 2 Hydras

Hydras... lol. He had 2 hydras over his frag tank also. Display was a 48" 105g with 4 36" T5 B+ and 2 hydra 26.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... LONG day. Left the house at 0645 and got home at midnight.

We uh, well we went to Greenville, NC(3 hour ride) and she bought the 60" ATI fixture with the 48" reef bright. Now maybe she can get some more color out of her acros that those black boxes just can't.

On the way home we detoured over to Clayton, NC to a little shop called Reef Keepers. I met Bill, the owner and looked at a few of his corals he had under mostly metal-halide. This was a kind of grow out tank, but for sale at the same time. Packed full of nice colonies. There are some real diamonds in the rough in there...

20180505_153520.jpg

This guy was an old school reefer, almost all his tanks were MH with maybe a few actinic LED attached to the pendulums. A lot of coral was brown, uncolored under the heavy actinic we're used too, and some were new pieces thst still needed some time to color, even under daylight spectrum MH... but I've been trying to develop my "browned out natural sunlight stunner coral detector." It kinda worked. I found a few pieces that he kinda showed me under a Radion XR30. So I bet you're wondering...

Turtle, did you buy anything?

Yep, sure did. Check it out. We left them in my friends tank after dipping. I wanted to wait on one more water change before I added them to Deep Blue. Our salt will be in this week and I'll bring them home.

So, this was one that caught my eye as having potential. The one on the right. Its already got some color too it.

20180505_161113.jpg

Here is the same coral, in my friends tank under SB Reef blues. The one in the back. Its a deep blue color with maybe purple tips. Needs time under actinics. Price, $35...

20180505_215347.jpg

Then we asked about some monti. I should have taken a picture of his grow out tank. It was situated about 6" off the floor, and you could look right into the top of it. He had a MASSIVE 2' diameter monti cap in there that had at least 3 layers. All brown under the halide. So I asked about the color and he says its a light purple to pink. Then he showed me this large piece of an old monti thats been in the trade for a while. I haven't seen it for sale for a while but I see some pieces in old tanks. Its a purple with green polyp monti cap, the name evades me... if it has one. Price, $65...

20180505_212151.jpg

Then he said since you're buying that one, I'll throw this in for free... as he held up a silver dollar size of the massive browned out purple pink monti that I asked out. Sorry, no picture but I brought that one home so I'll have one in the morning.

Then I asked about these staghorns that kept catching my eye. They were large green stag colonies... but I kept seeing a hint of blue in them. The last green stag I bought that was that color ended up being blue. He pointed to the tank on the floor and said "That's the same coral over there." Top down was awesome under halides... so I had to bring it home and see what LED could do. Price, $85

20180505_212109.jpg
20180505_215322.jpg

Those SB wash everything out in purple light, but it's a deep green with blue tips. You can see the color of the tips in the first pic.

After we got everything dipped and set in the tank I was looking over her corals.

20180505_204027.jpg

Under that large tri-color acro in the center(that whole tank is 7 months old, she grew it from a frag) to the left is a mystic sunset monti that I wanted a piece of. She says, "We have a tile saw with a diamond blade on it in the shop, take all of it you want its fighting with my tri-color."

Yep, came home with a piece of it, and for riding up there with her she gave me a piece of the tri-color...

Turtle racked up on the corals. When I go back over there, I'm going to frag a piece of the stag and the large monti for her to have and she's got a bright red scrolling monti I want a frag of. (its far right)

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish trolling through DD looking for a wrasse to go with mine. I dont think I find one. But since we all love wrasses I posted them.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back