Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to read everything in this thread but it’s a long one. But a good one! Was trying to find a front tank shot FTS, or some pics / info about your equipment? Thanks!

Hi @mfl74, that's a lot of reading... I can summarize for you.

The tank is a Deep Blue Professional 35g cube. The stand is from the same company, but I refinished the outside and primered the inside. Somebody *cough* @Katrina71, didn't like all black.

Equipment list...

Sump: Eshopps Cube Nano
Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 200W
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5
Return: Sicce Silent 3.0
Lighting: Kessil A160WE x2
Flow: Icecap 1K gyre
I also have an Amazon special titanium ground probe on a GFCI outlet in the display tank.

Wet goods...

25lbs live rock... purchased wet, encrusted with coralline and some hitchhiker polyps and one mushroom
20lbs CaribSea Hawaiian black sand... this is a new addition. We did have around 30lbs of the Tahitian Moon sand but we had 7 months of dead coral and high metal leaching from it. That discovery isn't buried too far. Happened last week.
6lbs Fiji mud... I'm not sure I can say too much about this stuff just yet. I have zero negatives and the one positive is the "tank uglies" completely disappeared a few weeks after adding it. Coincidentally or not, I'm adding it to my next system too.

Livestock

We've had an eclectic assortment of fish in the past, and a lot of losses too. Most I attribute to the sand and metals issues we had. Currently swimming in the Deep Blue Sea are as follows...

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, multicolor fairy wrasse
Cirrhilabrus brunneus, dusky fairy wrasse
Centropyge bispinosa, coral beauty angelfish
Gymnothorax melatremus, Hawaiian golden dwarf moray

Previous inhabitants that are still living, just in time out...
Amphiprion ocellaris, darwin ocy clownfish pair(hates coral beauties)
Chrysiptera springeri, sapphire damsel(hates fairy wrasse)

CUC is a mix of astrea, Florida cerith, dwarf cerith, nassarius snails, nerite snails(when they stay in the tank), assorted hermits and one very large Florida fighting conch. Oh and I guess my coral beauty technically counts as CUC.

Here is a FTS from just a few minutes ago... popped the lights on low for a sec to get a good pic. Its all blue and low intensity.

20180507_092253.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a yellow coris wrasse is not reef safe??? Interesting, I thought they were...

First I've heard... probably referring to it's tendency to eat ornamental shrimp... but then most ornamental shrimp are evil and aren't reef safe either.

"But Turtle I've had shrimp in my tank for years and they don't hurt anything..."

Feed your LPS and watch your shrimp rip the food out of their mouths. Fish are friends, shrimp are foods. ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Im kinda stumped how we've never heard of them based on what I see... I was looking hard for an Attenuatus this weekend and alomst settled for the Angular they have listed but decided against it.

Its kinda like flying southwest in that its bare bones pricing, you pay for whatever warranty term you want and shipping rates are based on total spend. Like adding bags to airfare. I may want a 30 day warranty on one fish but only want 7 on another. Different.

AS

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the shrimp I do. I had a skunk and I would spot feed it and feed the Duncan’s. It would drop its food and try to destroy the Duncans by ripping food out of its stomach. Never again will I put shrimp in my reef.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a yellow coris wrasse is not reef safe??? Interesting, I thought they were...
They are for the most part. I think even live aquaria has them in the Non Reef safe side. Anything Halichoeres they tend to say is Fish only but most are fine in a reef. Often desired for pest control.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Im kinda stumped how we've never heard of them based on what I see... I was looking hard for an Attenuatus this weekend and alomst settled for the Angular they have listed but decided against it.

Its kinda like flying southwest in that its bare bones pricing, you pay for whatever warranty term you want and shipping rates are based on total spend. Like adding bags to airfare. I may want a 30 day warranty on one fish but only want 7 on another. Different.

Turtles weren't made for flying, bro...

ParatroopaNSMBU.png

I think I understand what you're saying tho. Get the 30 day warranty on the black leopard wrasse or the lineatus, not the radiant.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are for the most part. I think even live aquaria has them in the Non Reef safe side. Anything Halichoeres they tend to say is Fish only but most are fine in a reef. Often desired for pest control.

Yep, LA has them on the fish only wrasse list. Great at getting rid of flat worms.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the the wrasses considered “with caution” are under the “fish only” because their not 100% reef safe.
I would argue theyre 100% reef safe but a 50/50 toss up when it comes to snail/hermit/shrimp safe ;) Personally seeing them knock off a snail or hermit here and there is all part of the fun to me.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the the wrasses considered “with caution” are under the “fish only” because their not 100% reef safe.

I would argue theyre 100% reef safe but a 50/50 toss up when it comes to snail/hermit/shrimp safe ;) Personally seeing them knock off a snail or hermit here and there is all part of the fun to me.

Go buy a few ghost shrimp and watch your fairy wrasse go insane trying to figure out how to eat them... wrasse eat shrimp and pests, some may be more prone than others, but its natural. I've seen my fairy wrasse peck at frag plugs and the rock occasionally... gotta be some little invert there its eating.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more fishies, jumping out the tank. Build and assembly wasnt hard. Just remember what I always say, measure once cut twice...

20180507_141716.jpg

It's just resting on the glass, but it would take a very large wrasse like a harlequin tusk to dislodge it from the Kessil mounts. I have them pinched in the gap in the back.

20180507_141723.jpg

Yea, I'm not thrilled about that, but its as narrow as the parts would allow... maybe one of those zig zag kits they sell would have been closer. They have to swim past a return pipe and a gyre to make it thru there anyway.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back