Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are black beaches and reefs and they all have sand burrowers. I wonder given enough time the black sand is filed down to make it safe for them.

@Brew12 that’s some really cool stuff.

The stuff I have is 2mm-5mm, at least. The Tahitian was 0.5mm max. Super fine and awesome for sand burrowers. Just full of metals.

AS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im spending way too much time thinking about sand!!! I think Im going to scrap black altogether and go with thre Tropic Eden Reef Flakes i used in my biocube. Im bummed about the Tahitian beoing crap and holding a grudge towards caribsea at this point.

How comparable is that to say, Figi pink?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used the Fiji pink. I went bimini pink in the reefer and don't really care for it. Too much crushed coral or more of a gravel like substance in it that always winds up on top of the bed. The Reef Flakes are very consistent/uniform in size with nothing else mixed in. They have a pink version too i beleive.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used the Fiji pink. I went bimini pink in the reefer and don't really care for it. Too much crushed coral or more of a gravel like substance in it that always winds up on top of the bed. The Reef Flakes are very consistent/uniform in size with nothing else mixed in. They have a pink version too i beleive.

Fiji pink is like the Bimini pink put thru a strainer. All consistent size... with no crushed coral or gravel stuff.

But its a white beachy sand... doesn't look pink at all.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like plain ole white sand. Not pristine, more natural. Jmo

Me too Katrina, the black just has that... pop. The contrast of bright coral and dark sand and background.

Hawaiian is too coarse and Tahitian is poison. Guess they were wrong you really can go back...

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 737510 @siggy she hasnt started dating yet. I’m ready for that

Just bought a new Barrett 82A1 so I have long rang. Oops
6a345712ef961a60d87c5620e0d70747.jpg

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too Katrina, the black just has that... pop. The contrast of bright coral and dark sand and background.

Hawaiian is too coarse and Tahitian is poison. Guess they were wrong you really can go back...
Having a bad day, that made me laugh...thank you.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71

Bad day you say. Than the right remedy is trigger time with a bang and a little thermite to give you the boom. That works wonders for me

@Zack K im jealous.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im spending way too much time thinking about sand!!! I think Im going to scrap black altogether and go with thre Tropic Eden Reef Flakes i used in my biocube. Im bummed about the Tahitian beoing crap and holding a grudge towards caribsea at this point.
I think the issue with the sand is a combination of bad luck and poor testing. Those nickel inclusions weren't on every grain and were a challenge to fine. We never could find the source of the Vanadium, only some traces of it. My guess is that the lava they made the sand from flowed up through a nickel vein and was captured in a small amount of the sand. It is possible it was only in a few batches.

Someone just has bad luck! :oops:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71

Bad day you say. Than the right remedy is trigger time with a bang and a little thermite to give you the boom. That works wonders for me

@Zack K im jealous.
You have no idea how much I like that. Indoor range...disco lights. Yeah baby.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no idea how much I like that. Indoor range...disco lights. Yeah baby.

I remember the time i took my .44mag snub nose to the indoor range. The range officer(not knowing what pistols I had brung) set me up in the first lane next to the entrance to the range. Its right behind the counter where they sell the firearms. Anyway, I commence to making my own disco and sweeping the floor in front of me with muzzle blast. He comes in about 10 rounds in and asks what kind of hand cannon I'm shooting. I say "A Rossi .44 magnum snub nose, that is ok, isn't it?" The range is rated for all pistol and rifle up to .308. He said that its fine and I can finish up where I am, but next time to tell him I'm bringing the .44 and he'll set me up me away from the door.

It was funny, the guy next to me had a little .380 or 9mm, and was plinking away. I pull out the .44 and blew empty shells and dust 10 yards down range. It went kinda like this... "pop pop pop"... "BANG"... "Whoa!"

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out, moving targets, disco lights. Try it.:)
I'll have to find a place that does that. Strobes usually do not bother me... spent my 20s volunteering at a haunted house in the fall.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the range. One of the best times was at Camp Bullis in Texas shooting the m-60. We hatted Texas that’s where basic and tech school was at. Every time we pulled the trigger we yelled I hate Texas. That was about a 10-15 round burst. Than listened as the rounds hit down range.

The other same place was shooting the mk-19. Its a fully auto Granade launcher. Yep the targets just disappeared in a cloud of dust.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the ban is really starting to affect prices....

I got Maui from Colin ZoaCollector for $150 last September... he's even had to go up on prices. Pacific Island Aquatics just had some a month ago or so for $350 each already acclimated and eating frozen mysis... if i get another one so Maui can have a friend(GDMs are communal, you'll see in the video) it'll be thru them most likely.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back