Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing shot. Did you make to the North Pole?
That is transiting through the Puget Sound outside Seattle. I was on a ballistic missile sub, so we never went under ice. Lots of time off the coast of Alaska.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost went Navy, that was way back in 04 or 05... then they saw medical records of asthma when I was young and they were being picky at the time. Grew out of asthma before high school, really... was gonna do gas turbine operator/mechanic. Powerplant bound after my service. Oh well I made it in a powerplant anyway, its just coal and not gas.

You know coal fired is killing the planet right?

Nutramar Foods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that would be Solar.

It's a complicated situation, but in some ways having so much solar is worse for the environment than a modern coal plant.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see the emissions controls over here... ;Facepalm SCR, Anhydrous Ammonia, Limestone, Baghouse, Wet Flue Gas Desulfurization, Solids Reduction System... before too long, making electricity will be a byproduct of cleaning coal.

Can't get away from it, about 70 percent of the US power grid is fossil fuels. Most of that is Natural gas, but coal has way cheaper operating costs. My company does have around 500MW peak of solar, that's kinda dependent on this thing that isn't always in the sky. We have gas, hydro and nuclear power too. About 900MW of nuclear. Fossil/Hydro side of the company is over 2000MW of generating capacity.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that would be Solar.

It's a complicated situation, but in some ways having so much solar is worse for the environment than a modern coal plant.
You should see the strip mines where they pull the lithium and "rare earth" for these electric cars and solar panels... huge craters dug in the ground. All the acreage it takes to set up a solar farm, when you can put up a gas plant in the same spot that takes up a 1/8 of the land and makes 4 times the MW, around the clock rain or shine.

Not to mention the power surges from solar farms loading and unloading the grid... its bad technology.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's our stack... not the red and white one, those are decommissioned. The 400' concrete one behind the I-Beams with the water vapor coming out of it. Yep, clean white water vapor.

20180504_130719.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad technology when used in moderation.
Here is a report on the issue (duck curve) that is liberally biased but is very well written.
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/10/10960848/solar-energy-duck-curve

That makes total sense to me... having worked in the industry for 10 years you notice a peak in grid demand starting around 0600 and dropping of around 1100, then picking up around 1800 and dropping off at 2300. We are a pretty easy unit to change loads, so dispatch calls us to pick up and cut a lot. In the summer, when its 90000 degrees and humid as a sauna, peak load is all day.

Did you know, in England their peak load times are at tea time?(all I know is Dr. Pepper at 10, 2 and 4) Too many electric kettles being turned on at the same time.

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
making electricity will be a byproduct of cleaning coal.
nice...auto plants generally have a generating stations on site, we changed over to gas because it was too costly and we didn't have the real estate for all the scrubbers mandated to continue using coal....BTW nuclear generation seems low compared to your fossils and was also surprised you are generating that much solar

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this would set people off, we have very strict emissions regulations in England in my work, no comment on your current leader but really, thoughts of pulling out of global emissions targets when everyone is actually trying to mitigate the situation, I know I am a bit of a tree hugger but not against nuclear, just concerned as a resident of our planet!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this would set people off, we have very strict emissions regulations in England in my work, no comment on your current leader but really, thoughts of pulling out of global emissions targets when everyone is actually trying to mitigate the situation, I know I am a bit of a tree hugger but not against nuclear, just concerned as a resident of our planet!
I share your environmental concerns, but I am glad we left the Kyoto treaty. It didn't do much to help the environment. As one member of the UN put it, it was "the best chance at global wealth redistribution we may ever have". The US would have had to pay billions a year to less developed countries while China continues to commission 2 new coal plants a month. Doesn't seem very environmentally focused to me.

Hopefully this isn't delving into politics too much... I don't want to report myself!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choices! I would also grab one of these guys as a hunter. Smartest fish Ive encountered yet, very pretty and my first failure with a trap. I actually see him laughing at me when i put it in the tank :)

radiant-wrasse-halichoeres-iridis-radiant-wrasse-3.jpg

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choices! I would also grab one of these guys as a hunter. Smartest fish Ive encountered yet, very pretty and my first failure with a trap. I actually see him laughing at me when i put it in the tank :)

radiant-wrasse-halichoeres-iridis-radiant-wrasse-3.jpg

Good suggestion! Was thinking yellow coris but that is way prettier.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to come available March/April. I waited almost a year for mine to show up on LA. Here’s my latest addition. Dont think ive shown him off yet as its hard to get a good shot of him. C. Africanus

448CC0F3-9D89-4898-9472-AAC06F2F244A.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back