Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real quick before I leave for work(three more night shifts and I get a week off!!!)

Poly filter has been in the tank for about 2 weeks. Corals are starting to look progressively worse. The ones that were showing STN are bare skeleton. The digis have less polyp extension and the acans are even showing signs of not being happy. I replaced the polyfilter and sent some photos to the coral master... I thought it was just detritus, but he says that color is heavy metals. It doesn't feel like its bound up with a bunch of fish poop... next week we are probably most likely completely tearing this tank apart, thoroughly inspecting EVERYTHING, and putting it back together. That is unless the metal problem is coming from RODI.

20180420_165404.jpg
20180420_170324.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy metals should be removed by ro. How whould metals bypass the ro system. I highly doubt that. Did you test for copper could the metals be in the tank already.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy metals should be removed by ro. How whould metals bypass the ro system. I highly doubt that. Did you test for copper could the metals be in the tank already.

All will be revealed by the ICP test.

I still think that polyfilter pulled nothing but detritus...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Fido he’s jealous of the fish. ;)
He really hates when I'm working too. I have to lock him up in his crate because he's got separation anxiety really bad. He's destroyed so much stuff... laptop charger, tv remote, cell phone chargers, flip flops, shoes, sheets on the bed, mattress pad... when I'm home he's perfect and the most obedient dog I've ever had. My dad said he's probably the smartest and most obedient dog he's ever seen. If I leave, he panics and chews up everything.

So for almost 14 hours he's in his crate, then I come home and let him out feed him, play for a little bit then its time to go to bed. Night shift is worse... I come home, feed him and let him out, shower and pretty much go straight to bed. I'm usually am up around 1500, then we go outside for a minute play, relax until 1700 then I get ready and leave for work.

I just realized I get way more sleep on nightshift than I do day shift. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He really hates when I'm working too. I have to lock him up in his crate because he's got separation anxiety really bad. He's destroyed so much stuff... laptop charger, tv remote, cell phone chargers, flip flops, shoes, sheets on the bed, mattress pad... when I'm home he's perfect and the most obedient dog I've ever had. My dad said he's probably the smartest and most obedient dog he's ever seen. If I leave, he panics and chews up everything.

So for almost 14 hours he's in his crate, then I come home and let him out feed him, play for a little bit then its time to go to bed. Night shift is worse... I come home, feed him and let him out, shower and pretty much go straight to bed. I'm usually am up around 1500, then we go outside for a minute play, relax until 1700 then I get ready and leave for work.

I just realized I get way more sleep on nightshift than I do day shift. Lol
I used to do rotating shiftwork. It can wreck havoc on your system.

Polyfilters turn brown when they absorb nitrates. I agree with you that it may not be heavy metals. Can't wait to see the test results.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do rotating shiftwork. It can wreck havoc on your system.

Polyfilters turn brown when they absorb nitrates. I agree with you that it may not be heavy metals. Can't wait to see the test results.

After 10 years... I'm can't figure out why someone would want to work a 9 to 5. I get a whole week off every four weeks. 13 whole weeks off a year, without taking any vacation time.

Yea, the package says that they turn light tan and progress to dark brown with organic matter. Red, orange, yellow I think was metals... oh yea, I took a picture.

20180420_172509.jpg

Oops, its sideways. I'll fix that later... ok fixed, no longer sideways.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 13 weeks off is definitely a perk! When i did overnights i was a useless example of a human being. Could never sleep more than 3 or 4 hours during the day time which led to me walking around like i came off set from “the “walking dead” For 4 years i was total junk. Never had as much time off as you get but id never willingly go back to graveyard shifts.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slept from 0700 to 1400 today... yea, got home early. Two more night shifts.

Moved these duncans over from the nano when I shut it down. They seem to be happy. They may get glued down. About the only flowy sway-y LPS I like.

20180421_143256.jpg
20180421_143304.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked alk... finally dropped. 4-12 it was 8.8, 4-21 it is 7.9. That is a 0.9 drop over 9 days, which comes out to a 0.1 drop per day.

So, uh... 2 part or kalk? I think I'm leaning towards the, "do a water change" method right now. Need to buy more salt.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 5g change and see how big an impact it has. If 5g doesnt get you back where you wanna be then i say Kalk. I say 5g because it can be done so quickly/easily. 10g gets a tad heavier/harder which is less likely to occur on a set schedule... At least for me.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 5g change and see how big an impact it has. If 5g doesnt get you back where you wanna be then i say Kalk. I say 5g because it can be done so quickly/easily. 10g gets a tad heavier/harder which is less likely to occur on a set schedule... At least for me.

5g is really convenient because that is the size of a 5g bucket, and also the size of my BioTek totes. It's also close to 15% of my tank volume.

Tested nutrients... we got some nitrates back by removing the chaeto, but boy have we got some phosphates. 5ppm NO3 and >0.36ppm but way <0.64ppm PO4. Cyano still trying to grow here and there, acans still looking ticked. Gonna be close on time to go to work, but I'm making water now for a water change.

I may add just a pinch of GFO to the bag in the sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas are actually growing like crazy right now. Pretty much the only thing happy. Hermits keep knocking their little rocks off the main rock scape. I gotta glue them eventually. Tired of picking zoas out of the sand.

Added 1tbsp of BRS bulk GFO to media bag in sump. Got about 2g of water made with enough salt for 5g dissolved. Should have 5g of fresh salt water before I have to leave.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys... have you ever seen orange coralline algae? I think this is coralline... can not be blown or rubbed off the rock. There are a few specs growing here and there on my rocks. Looks just like coralline growth, but I've always seen pink and purple, some red... even green when its new. Never florescent orange.

20180421_155353.jpg

Or... do I have some orange encrusting coral(like that pavona we killed months ago) that somehow came back from the dead and has taken hold on the rocks in a few places?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back