Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be acquiring a snowflake eel today or tomorrow. It has to be caught and removed from the reef it is in now. Was in a coke bottle trap last night but the top got caught on a rock and the eel was able to escape when it came apart. The reason for rehoming the eel is wanting conflicting livestock, and impulse buying the eel. Friends mom impulse bought the eel about a month or two ago and it went in her tank. Not she wants a clam and eels will eat the mantle right off a clam... yea, always research before you buy, and don't let your mom go reef shopping without close supervision.

I need some opinions. I do not want to mix the new snowflake and Maui. They are around the same size, snowflake may be a tad longer, but the snowflake will outgrow Maui quickly and that could lead to some issues. As in only one eel left issues.

I've got an empty 40b I can use. This will be plenty of space until I can upgrade tanks, which will probably be this winter.

Questions are...
  • just run it bare bones as a QT tank until then
  • Set it up as a FOWLR and move the damsel and shrimp over and shut down the nano
  • Run a hob or drill and use my DIY 20L as a sump(requires building/buying new stand)
20180417_142353.jpg
20180417_142344.jpg
20180417_142431.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be acquiring a snowflake eel today or tomorrow. It has to be caught and removed from the reef it is in now. Was in a coke bottle trap last night but the top got caught on a rock and the eel was able to escape when it came apart. The reason for rehoming the eel is wanting conflicting livestock, and impulse buying the eel. Friends mom impulse bought the eel about a month or two ago and it went in her tank. Not she wants a clam and eels will eat the mantle right off a clam... yea, always research before you buy, and don't let your mom go reef shopping without close supervision.

I need some opinions. I do not want to mix the new snowflake and Maui. They are around the same size, snowflake may be a tad longer, but the snowflake will outgrow Maui quickly and that could lead to some issues. As in only one eel left issues.

I've got an empty 40b I can use. This will be plenty of space until I can upgrade tanks, which will probably be this winter.

Questions are...
  • just run it bare bones as a QT tank until then
  • Set it up as a FOWLR and move the damsel and shrimp over and shut down the nano
  • Run a hob or drill and use my DIY 20L as a sump(requires building/buying new stand)
View attachment 723493 View attachment 723492 View attachment 723491
I'm thinking I would set it up as a FOWLR. As simple as possible.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I would set it up as a FOWLR. As simple as possible.
I agree with @Brew12 set it up a a FOWLR :)

I think this is what I'll do... probably bare bottom FOWLR with the HOB filter. I do have almost a 5 gallon bucket of sand, but that stuff needs a good rinse. I can probably have it running with a few pieces of seed rock by tonight. Total money invested will be however much a screen top costs for a 40B.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what I'll do... probably bare bottom FOWLR with the HOB filter. I do have almost a 5 gallon bucket of sand, but that stuff needs a good rinse. I can probably have it running with a few pieces of seed rock by tonight. Total money invested will be however much a screen top costs for a 40B.
Yeah KISS FOWLR.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are so altruistic. :rolleyes: I recommend a simple FOWLR only because if he makes it nicer he may be less likely to upgrade in the future. I'm selfish, I want to see what he can do with a larger tank that isn't cursed! ;Woot

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your plan is to really go big over the winter then id agree with FOWLR until then. If your on the fence about the upgrade then id piece it together as a propper reef and as Brew says move away from the curse!!!

One more thought on going big... would you be able to house both eels there or would it still be a last man standing match? Just thinking what happens to Maui at that point if you dont want to maintain multiple tanks.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are so altruistic. :rolleyes: I recommend a simple FOWLR only because if he makes it nicer he may be less likely to upgrade in the future. I'm selfish, I want to see what he can do with a larger tank that isn't cursed! ;Woot

I'm saving for a Red Sea 650 Peninsula, don't worry. We'll get rid of this cursed Deep Blue eventually. Probably going to use a different sump than provided(tanks are nice, sumps are junk). Light will be an Aquatic Life 60" T5 hybrid to start with 3 B+ and 1 C+(might experiment some), and probably fill it with 2 A700s down the road. Flow I want two gyres turned vertically on the back beside the overflow blasting the sides of the rock all the way down the tank.

So far for the KISS FOWLR I have a 40b tank, stand, hob, heater, powerhead, ato... need to run to the pet store and get a reptile lid for a 40b and some kind of cheap light that won't grow a ton of algae. I need to get some live ghost shrimp for Maui also, he's back to not wanting to eat anything I offer.

Almost full. Far from pretty but its functional.

20180417_162449.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say fowlr, snowflake will need bigger sooner or later. I recommend set up as simply as possible. Caution should be advised with the shrimp. Those are its natural pray.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral banded gets eaten... oops. Its an ***** anyway. Pinches me every time I have to go in the tank. I just can't make myself kill a living reef critter, but if it gets eaten, well... that is out of my hands. ;Facepalm

@Scurvy you can keep it. I don't need anything that powerful. Gonna see what the pet store has in the way of cheap non coral growing lights.

Ran out of water, about 1.5" from all the way full. Up to temp(preheated mix in the brute) and salinity is perfect. Damsel, shrimp, astrea and nassarius snails moved over. Only one of each snails... lol. Used dry reef saver with a few pieces of cycled rock from my 10g that has been running for a while with just chaeto and live rock. I'm off to the chain pet stores to see what I can find for cheap.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its set up...

20180417_185740.jpg

Got a metal screen reptile lid for the top. I have one for a 10g that I used for Maui while the Deep Blue was cycling. It should be heavy enough that it can't pick it up.

20180417_185852.jpg

You can see the light I found. It's for those glow fish that look like they were bred on three mile island... its not very bright, but we don't need bright. We just need to be able to see and it does that. Its waterproof, and clips to the inside of the top rim, so the lid still sits flat on top of the tank.

Total cost for the lid and the light was about $60. Everything else was at the house already.

Here is my view from where I sit on the couch... imagine a 650 peninsula sitting there.

20180417_190756.jpg

Waiting on the eel to go in the trap... pretty sure it knows its a trap now after going in last night. This was sent to me earlier, and that the eel came out hunting the food, and went back in the rocks when it saw the trap.

received_2223118804370989.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its set up...

View attachment 723714

Got a metal screen reptile lid for the top. I have one for a 10g that I used for Maui while the Deep Blue was cycling. It should be heavy enough that it can't pick it up.

View attachment 723715

You can see the light I found. It's for those glow fish that look like they were bred on three mile island... its not very bright, but we don't need bright. We just need to be able to see and it does that. Its waterproof, and clips to the inside of the top rim, so the lid still sits flat on top of the tank.

Total cost for the lid and the light was about $60. Everything else was at the house already.

Here is my view from where I sit on the couch... imagine a 650 peninsula sitting there.

View attachment 723713

Waiting on the eel to go in the trap... pretty sure it knows its a trap now after going in last night. This was sent to me earlier, and that the eel came out hunting the food, and went back in the rocks when it saw the trap.

View attachment 723719
That spot looks darn near perfect for a peninsula!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*cough* dwarffuzzylion! ;)
Dont think for one minute I haven't thought of setting up a predator reef. Several times I've thought of it.

Pretty wrasse, tough *** eels... they dont really mix. Unless you like turning your wrasse into very expensive feeder fish.

Nutramar Foods

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to dwarf fuzzy lions help with nutrient export? Unless... I heard they are very good eating.

No the leather corals will help with nutrient export, the dwarf fuzzy would just go nice with the eel, I hand feed mine, gorgeous fish. :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back