Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is made for em!!! You’ve seriously got me considering a 60”x30” It’ll be a Wrassepocolypse if I do!
My tank is pretty maxed out as far as stocking right now. I need to coral to grow in to provide more safe spots.

Not sure if I could catch that guy, anyway.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is pretty maxed out as far as stocking right now. I need to coral to grow in to provide more safe spots.

Catch a six line? In a net? I'd be easier to empty the tank and start over... fish trap is the only way you'd catch that guy. Actually, a 20oz diy trap may be perfect for that guy, but they're not dumb. You'd have to lure him in there with something very enticing.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We looked up the male Cf. pylei... yea, those are pretty.

cf.-pylei.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is made for em!!! You’ve seriously got me considering a 60”x30” It’ll be a Wrassepocolypse if I do!

Talk about wrassepocalypse... I'm seriously considering a peninsula tank right here...

20180329_182801.jpg

Think about it... all that unused space behind the couch, the drop down living room floor, the empty closet right behind there screaming to be an electronics cabinet...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, No chance with a net. I got mine in a 2 liter bottle trap with mysis. They cant resist it forever!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about wrassepocalypse... I'm seriously considering a peninsula tank right here...

View attachment 710570

Think about it... all that unused space behind the couch, the drop down living room floor, the empty closet right behind there screaming to be an electronics cabinet...
No doubt a great spot! The closet is key to hiding whatever you want. ATO, electronics, plumbing to a basement sump. Options galore.

Corals.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 710570

Wow, that is the perfect place for a peninsula!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt a great spot! The closet is key to hiding whatever you want. ATO, electronics, plumbing to a basement sump. Options galore.

It used to hold the air handler for the HVAC... but its a gas package unit outside now. Its just an air return in the floor with a completely empty closet. Perfect for electronics.

I wish I had a basement, unfortunately, thats not something that isn't too common around here. Older houses are on a crawlspace, everything built in the last ten years just about is on a poured slab. Mine has a crawlspace. If I put a big peninsula tank in there, I will be bracing the floor joists... even they'd run perpendicular to the tank.

Wow, that is the perfect place for a peninsula!

Yea, I've always thought that but my ex fiancee wouldn't allow it. Well, guess what?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of the couch from the wall...

20180329_190057.jpg

Back of the couch to the step...

20180329_190358.jpg

We can fit a 8'x3'x2' tank in here and it wouldn't look out of place. Idk if I can save for that long... lol. Jeez, think of the lighting for that size tank. Skimmer, sump... The stand!!! It would have to be made from 80/20 and assembled in place. Also, we just realized that's a 360 gallon tank. ;Nailbiting

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 710576

View attachment 710575

We can fit a 8'x3'x2' tank in here and it wouldn't look out of place. Idk if I can save for that long... lol. Jeez, think of the lighting for that size tank. Skimmer, sump... The stand!!! It would have to be made from 80/20 and assembled in place. Also, we just realized that's a 360 gallon tank. ;Nailbiting
Yeah. Without a dedicated fish room, anything more than a 180 becomes a challenge to care for, too. My 187g evaporates up to 2g per day on a bad day. I have a 10g ATO and add almost 2g of Kalkwasser a week which means I still have to refill the ATO ever 5 to 7 days. Just to vacuum the sand normally makes me pull 15g of water out of the tank if I do the entire sand bed.

And then there is the food..... I ended up putting a tiny freezer in the garage just for fish food since the closest place to buy the good stuff is a 40 min drive. And, my wife is convinced it smells. I could only imagine how much food I would go through in a well stocked 240g+ tank.

I may add a new tank in the future, but if I do it will likely be 120g or under. Maybe even a SCA 60g cube.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Without a dedicated fish room, anything more than a 180 becomes a challenge to care for, too. My 187g evaporates up to 2g per day on a bad day. I have a 10g ATO and add almost 2g of Kalkwasser a week which means I still have to refill the ATO ever 5 to 7 days. Just to vacuum the sand normally makes me pull 15g of water out of the tank if I do the entire sand bed.

And then there is the food..... I ended up putting a tiny freezer in the garage just for fish food since the closest place to buy the good stuff is a 40 min drive. And, my wife is convinced it smells. I could only imagine how much food I would go through in a well stocked 240g+ tank.

I may add a new tank in the future, but if I do it will likely be 120g or under. Maybe even a SCA 60g cube.

Dude, check out the SCA 90 cube. 36x24x24.

I'm really thinking hard about the 8' tank. I'll have to do some fancy work with the AC return. The closet door is louvered and attracts a ton of dust. That would get in any ATO I put in there. I'm thinking of building an enclosure on the back side of the door, and a false floor in the closet to provide and air passage for the AC, and have a separate space for the ATO reservoir and electronics.

The door is 18", the inside is 23"x28 1/2".

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 710576

View attachment 710575

I very much so would steer you away from 80/20. I do not like the way that stuff if designed. I have worked with too muc of it and wouldn’t trust 360gallins of water above it. Just me. Personally a powder coated steel stand or even a nice overbuilt wood stand would be fine.

Just my .02¢

Tank talk: I’m kinda realizing I don’t want your problems[emoji23] I have too high Nitrates but things thrive. You don’t have any and nothing grows[emoji23] Fish have been out for close to a week now and no change in NO3. Amazing.
IMG_1068.JPG

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much so would steer you away from 80/20. I do not like the way that stuff if designed. I have worked with too muc of it and wouldn’t trust 360gallins of water above it. Just me. Personally a powder coated steel stand or even a nice overbuilt wood stand would be fine.

Just my .02¢

Tank talk: I’m kinda realizing I don’t want your problems[emoji23] I have too high Nitrates but things thrive. You don’t have any and nothing grows[emoji23] Fish have been out for close to a week now and no change in NO3. Amazing. View attachment 710651

Glad everything is going better for you.

My growth issues aren't nitrate related. There's plenty of food in the tank. Remember I've been dosing phyto, which will use up some nitrate as well, but is an awesome coral food. And we're up to 3 wrasse, 2 clowns and Maui. No shortage of fish poop.

I talked with the owner of the reef shop I got the fish from. He's owned that place for 29 years now. He thinks I still have some slight metal issues, polyfilter would fix that, and if I added T5 to the tank all my SPS would explode. He said Kessil's are great lights but the spectrum is better for LPS than growing SPS. They'll grow, but slow. I've kinda in the back of my head been wanting to add T5 to the Kessils anyway.

Better for LPS is proven...

20180329_210742.jpg
20180329_210748.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cf. pylei is getting its butt handed to it. Lubbocki and McCoskers chase it every time it pops out. No physical contact yet. That thing needs to switch to male so it can hold its own. Not sure if it will getting harrassed like that. It is eating fine, has eaten flakes, mysis and LRS today. Yes, I'm feeding much more now.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cf. pylei is getting its *** handed to it. Lubbocki and McCoskers chase it every time it pops out. No physical contact yet. That thing needs to switch to male so it can hold its own. Not sure if it will getting harrassed like that. It is eating fine, has eaten flakes, mysis and LRS today. Yes, I'm feeding much more now.
Who says ya gotta switch to being a male to hold your own??? Just kidding. Been in a meeting and wanted a little humor!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who says ya gotta switch to being a male to hold your own??? Just kidding. Been in a meeting and wanted a little humor!

Well ya see the way wrasse go...

Yea, peninsula dividing the hall to the bedrooms from the livingroom. Also, the first thing people will see when coming in the front door.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back