Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That power head looks real cool. I love the shallowness of if. I really hate my Koralia pumps as they stick out so far and I am not buying the ecotechs because the price is outrageous. Lets just hope they price these at a better price point...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That power head looks real cool. I love the shallowness of if. I really hate my Koralia pumps as they stick out so far and I am not buying the ecotechs because the price is outrageous. Lets just hope they price these at a better price point...

I like that too, and agree that Ecotech is way over priced... and over hyped.

I think I'll get one for the short side of the aquarium and place both of the Jebaos on the right side. One up top and one down lower. That is as long as they keep pumping. I have to keep messing with the power cable on one of the boxes every few days. I need to pull it apart and see if I can repair the solder.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to move this rock. The conch doesn't like where it's at...

20180305_195050.jpg
20180305_195057.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bummed about the Wrasse. You’re a better man than I cuz, well.... I dont know what i would’ve done to him. Probably a snack for Maui.

Glad things are turning your way. Keep a close eye so you dont bottom out N&P. Zoas are probably angry cuz levels are already low.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bummed about the Wrasse. You’re a better man than I cuz, well.... I dont know what i would’ve done to him. Probably a snack for Maui.

Glad things are turning your way. Keep a close eye so you dont bottom out N&P. Zoas are probably angry cuz levels are already low.

If this other reefer didn't want it... I've got two of those Koehler tanks that it would love living in. Well, it might not love it but I would. I've wasted $10 in worse ways... especially after losing a $50 fish after having it for less than a week.

I think the slight H2O2 overdose melted a few of the smaller polyps. They are flaking right off the rocks. I did a 5g water change yesterday. I'll do another one in a few days. It doesn't seem to be causing a huge outbreak of dinosaurs, so that's good.

Good news? The multicolor is much more active in more parts of the tank than it was with the damsel in there. Absolutely no aggression from anyone. Maybe in a few months I'll get another goby pair and a wrasse. Hopefully, I don't have to do anything else to the tank for a while. Other than the Marine Pure and Fiji mud I've got arriving this week, that is. The digi still looks clean from the dip last night.

Maybe, we'll be able to pick up a few pieces at Reef Dreams after all. There is also another piece of that beautiful blue stylophora I used to have up at Aquarium Specialty. Actually, there was about 5 pieces. I might go get one this weekend. If all else fails, I have Maui's nano tank with the frag racks. That tank has always been stable, not by anything I've done either. It might have taken off last year had I known it only had about 80 par peak.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick API nitrate test. I don't feel like getting the red sea test out tonight. Back to work in the morning from a week off... ugh.

I'm not concerned with what they are based off this test, just that they aren't 0. Could be 5, could be 20... I'm not sure, depends on what light I look under. Nothing looks like 0 tho.

20180305_211753.jpg

I'll do the Red Sea test tomorrow... maybe, lol.

Nutramar Foods

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I only have 3 fish eating in the tank,(Tiny Tim eats, but he's on a veggie only diet) and there's no more aggressive fish, I backed way off on my feeding. I fed just a sliver of LRS tonight and I feel that was just enough for my three fish. The glass was cloudy with green film algae when I came home from work, which I'm going to take as a good sign. Before it was some nasty looking brown algae all over the glass. Maybe that API nitrate test was right when it looked like 20ppm. The Red Sea always tests over 4ppm. I'll get around to testing on the high range eventually. I'm not too concerned with it tho. I'm letting this tank learn to swim with some tough love, remember? Sink or swim.

UFP60wK.gif

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick API nitrate test. I don't feel like getting the red sea test out tonight. Back to work in the morning from a week off... ugh.

I'm not concerned with what they are based off this test, just that they aren't 0. Could be 5, could be 20... I'm not sure, depends on what light I look under. Nothing looks like 0 tho.

View attachment 691237

I'll do the Red Sea test tomorrow... maybe, lol.
I use my API nitrate test way more than my Red Sea one. I used to use my Red Sea test when my API test read really low. Now I just don't worry about it if it is low. I just pull some chaeto out of the sump to try and bring it up.

Did your mud come in yet, and if so, did you add it?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my API nitrate test way more than my Red Sea one. I used to use my Red Sea test when my API test read really low. Now I just don't worry about it if it is low. I just pull some chaeto out of the sump to try and bring it up.

Did your mud come in yet, and if so, did you add it?

The pods and phytoplankton from algaebarn is scheduled to arrive today. Fiji mud tomorrow.

After talking with some guys in one of the more active local reef clubs, I don't think I've corrected my metal problem. This is probably the reason every SPS I put in the tank suffers from tissue loss, even the ones that are supposed to be easy mode SPS. It's probably even why Maui stopped eating, and could possibly be why inverts don't last very long.

I think I need to get another water test and see what's going on. I'd also like to get my RODI tested to make sure that isn't my problem.

Nutramar Foods
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods and phytoplankton from algaebarn is scheduled to arrive today. Fiji mud tomorrow.

After talking with some guys in one of the more active local reef clubs, I don't think I've corrected my metal problem. This is probably the reason every SPS I put in the tank suffers from tissue loss, even the ones that are supposed to be easy mode SPS. It's probably even why Maui stopped eating, and could possibly be why inverts don't last very long.

I think I need to get another water test and see what's going on. I'd also like to get my RODI tested to make sure that isn't my problem.
Have you ever run Polyfilters? I know they are great at removing copper and suspect they are pretty good with most metals.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever run Polyfilters? I know they are great at removing copper and suspect they are pretty good with most metals.

I'm going to be ordering some here on pay day. And DI resin. My meters still showing 0tds, even between my RO and DI... but I'm going to change it all out to be sure I actually have working DI resin in my filter. Saturday I'm pulling every piece of equipment out of my tank and disassembling it as far as possible and checking for corrosion. I'm also going to try and achieve as large of a water change as I possibly can.

I showed the owner of one of the local reef stores this picture and asked him why every SPS that goes in the tank does this, and he said heavy metals. Without knowing anything else about my all of struggles.
20180204_141148.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back