Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would use 32g estimated from now on. Aquarium volume sizing is just so poorly done. For instance.. my 187g tank actually holds 166g of water max. I wish they would advertise the actual volume the tanks hold instead of calculated volume of the outside dimensions.

My JBJ Rimless 30 is actually 26.6 gallons (accounting for baffles and water level). The display is 21.1 gallons. That is without any rock or equipment. I basically bought a 30 because I wanted a 20.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done messing with things. If it lives it lives. If it crashes I'll sell it all. I'll keep the ATO full and feed the fish, but this tank is going to have to teach itself how to swim or drown. I'm done... it's broken me.
Normally, I would try to encourage you to stick with this one. In this case, I think just letting it do its thing for a few months may be best. Tanks shouldn't have this many problems. Never seen anything like it. ;Blackeye

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally, I would try to encourage you to stick with this one. In this case, I think just letting it do its thing for a few months may be best. Tanks shouldn't have this many problems. Never seen anything like it. ;Blackeye

I got a shipping confirmation on the mud for Thursday. I'll add that to the sump and just let this tank do it's thing for a few months. I might pick up a few frags for the moray tank depending on how it's doing. That tank used to be really stable before I neglected it in October. It grew this in a couple months with the light way under powered. Was my favorite coral... the deep blue almost killed it, when I moved it back it never recovered and died.

IMG_20170805_233533.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock + dead sand + very little biodiversity = potiental nastiness. I agree that adding love rock and the mud will help. I believe the h020 plus dino has done a lot of inverts in. Good luck.

Nutramar Foods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Turtle just thought of this. Since are killing off Dino they will resale toxins when they die. Carbon is a must.
It would still have had to have been a crazy toxic form of dino's to do what it did. Plenty of people use H2O2 on dino's without GAC and don't have problems.
I do think you are right though and carbon may have helped.
This seems a lot like Chemiclean where so many people can use it without problem, yet it wipes out almost everything in a very few systems. No one really understands why.

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. but ho20 + dino toxins+ dino releasing toxins may have been too much for a small tank.

I lost almost all my pods and snails when dino hit my tank and I was running carbon. They were in my tank for a long time before I realized what was going on. I was running heavy gfo and nitrate removers. Both were at zero. Corals went growing and just uglies.

This is a winnable war Turtle and Robin.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are all still closed tight. Sympodium as well. I think the German blue is gone, the forest fire looks the same. I moved all the frag racks over to Maui's tank, and the Lobo. I dipped the forest fire and birds nest frags before moving them over, they seem to be fine. Fish are fine, I noticed a turbo that fell off the glass and was laying in the sand. I may have to get some more CUC after this is over.

Hopefully once the mud comes in this stuff will retreat.

AS

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can come catch a ride on my boat Turtle. First time on here in a few weeks. Sorry to hear about the tank. After I lost most of my fish to Velvet, I’ve just been saying whatever. Glass is dirty, filters need cleaning, fuge needs harvesting. Just too much work right now. Been close to selling it multiple times. Just hang in their. Things will turn around we can only hope.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Zack Klabunde. Sorry about your fish. :(

I went thru velvet last year in a 75g FOWLR and it made me almost sell all my fish. I cured all but one, a small coral beauty. I traded in the tangs when I shut down the 75g because they were going to be too big for this 35g, they were going to get too big for the 75 as it was.

I have just a little bit of good news, and the rest is the same. So I guess there's no more bad news. The chaeto reactor is working. I don't know what my nutrients are, and I'm not going to test them either. All I know is the algae in the display isn't growing back like it was, and the chaeto in the reactor is growing.

20180304_145652.jpg
20180304_145444.jpg

Yep, we're up past the third wrap on the lights. Chaeto reactor ran for 16 hours last night. I've been feeding a cube of mysis in the morning and a little bit of LRS in the evening. Twice a week I'm going to dose 2.5ml each of red sea energy a and b and a few drops of oysterfeast. Fish are fat and happy and the chaeto is taking care of the excess waste.

Zoas still closed, sympodium looks like it's starting to open. Acans are a bit ticked still, but don't look horrible. The forest fire digi doesn't look like it's as covered with dinosaurs as it was. Maybe because it's still early in the day.

20180304_143359.jpg
20180304_143424.jpg
20180304_143406.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks much better than the last photos you posted.

Hopefully your beating them back ! !

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for today. Scrubbed everything again last night and shifted the rocks slightly. I also pulled the forest fire digi out and dipped it. The dinosaurs seem to have released their grip on it. Zoas aren't looking good. I believe I've lost the one incinerator polyp I had, and a few others look like they are short a few polyps also. The orange and blue acans still look good, the orange, green and purple ones are not looking well. Birds nest is still pale and the forest fire has no green color... given what they've been thru, I'm surprised they are still alive.

Those purple polyps have been completly unphased by all of what has been going on.

20180305_113447.jpg
20180305_113407.jpg
20180304_205526.jpg

The chaeto has shifted to the top of the reactor. I guess it got thick enough to restrict flow just enough to be pushed to the top.

20180305_095640.jpg

Last edited:

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least your on the right tract. Since we believe your dealing with Dino watch the phosphate and nitrate numbers. As the shell of Dino break down the bacteria will have to use more Po and no. You don’t want your numbers to crash.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed the fish this morning and everyone was present and eating happily. Left to go to the store and when I came back and got everything put up I checked on the tank, just to look. 2 clowns, a damsel, tail spot and a wrasse. Wait, we have 2 wrasse. Quick panic and get the flash light....

20180305_163147.jpg

He's dried out crisp as a pringle. :( So, we took out all the rocks, caught the devil spawn sapphire damsel and threw it in the tank with the mollys. I'll be giving it away probably this weekend. Evil little fish, never again will I buy a sapphire damsel. I don't care how many people say they are peaceful. The little b@$+@rd wouldn't leave the wrasse alone.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have someone taking the damsel for a frag tank that already has a problem 4 line damsel in it. For now, it's living in the 10g with the mollys. The tank got rearranged, again. For some reason when you pull rocks out the never go back the way they were. The middle and right rock got switched. So not the digi is pretty much in the dead center of the tank(off to the left and back a tad, but just about exact middle), and the predominately acan and zoa rock is off to the side so it's not hogging up one of the the prime SPS spots in the tank.

20180305_173737.jpg

I really am wanting more flow in here. The Jebao pumps feel like they die off in flow half way across the tank when I was just scraping in there. It's a really wide cone in about three streams or jets out from the pump. Get about 6" away and you can barely feel any movement. I want to try this new pump that coming out soon, it looks like it can push a lot of water.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back