Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m confused even after watching the BRS video and Tropic Marin Macna talk.

I don’t do water changes. Only reduce excess salanity as and when needed.

I used to use ATI Pro Essentials. I’ve now moved to balling classic. My own DIY ALK and CAL and then Part C dosed correctly as 1:1:1.

If dosing Part C every day as I do and this gets dosed in relation to ALK consumption and it is in turn adding all the trace elements in the correct proportions, why would I also need to dose trace elements?

This statement says so but doesn’t explain it. And if it is the case, what is the reason for not being able to just dose more Part C? I know the statement says it’s not the best way but again doesn’t explain why. Thanks.

7AAB862A-7340-4736-B29C-A6F900A51DB4.png

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m confused even after watching the BRS video and Tropic Marin Macna talk.

I don’t do water changes. Only reduce excess salanity as and when needed.

I used to use ATI Pro Essentials. I’ve now moved to balling classic. My own DIY ALK and CAL and then Part C dosed correctly as 1:1:1.

If dosing Part C every day as I do and this gets dosed in relation to ALK consumption and it is in turn adding all the trace elements in the correct proportions, why would I also need to dose trace elements?

This statement says so but doesn’t explain it. And if it is the case, what is the reason for not being able to just dose more Part C? I know the statement says it’s not the best way but again doesn’t explain why. Thanks.

View attachment 3110097
Dosing Part A and Part B results in an increase in Sodium and Chloride relative to other salts contained in Seawater.

Part C adds back the missing Salts but contains no Sodium or Chloride thus keeping the water chemical composition correct.

If you wish to add trace elements, they are dosed separately.

AS
OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but still not clear. Part C contains all trace elements. Why not just dose more of it to keep up with ALK and CAL consumption? What was Tropic Marin's rationale for not having the concentration to be that way?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but still not clear. Part C contains all trace elements. Why not just dose more of it to keep up with ALK and CAL consumption? What was Tropic Marin's rationale for not having the concentration to be that way?

Because it is the totally wrong composition to supplement trace elements. It is mostly magnesium, sulfate and potassium (as well as sodium and chloride).
If you used it to maintain, say iron, you’d push these major ions way too high.

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think the way it was explained in one of the videos and various places is not right then. It says something like “Part C is everything in sea water apart from Alk and Cal” not that Part C has a very low content of all trace elements and is mainly magnesium, potassium and sulfate. It makes more sense now.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think the way it was explained in one of the videos and various places is not right then. It says something like “Part C is everything in sea water apart from Alk and Cal” not that Part C has a very low content of all trace elements and is mainly magnesium, potassium and sulfate. It makes more sense now.

That description is basically correct, but you are interpreting it in a way not intended. Salt mix fits the words you wrote, aside from the calcium and alk which it also has but would not be a suitable supplement. Same exactly for Part C.

It takes the residual sodium and chloride from sodium carbonate and calcium chloride, and adds to it everything needed to balance those out to make a seawater residue so no ions are boosted or depleted from DOSING ALONE when you maintain salinity.

It is not in any way intended to offset consumption of any of those added elements by any organism in the aquarium.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back