+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I am focusing on correcting my trace elements. My mixed reef is 120 gallons of water including the sump. I am using the Captiv8 Aquaculture product and need help with calculating the correct dosage based on my Reef Lab ICP Test.

I'm not comfortable with my math calculations, So I'm asking for some help calculating the correct dosing of the following Elements.

1. Potassium:Isol8 K
2. Strontium:Isol8 Sr

I've attached a snip of my ICP results and The Captive8 product
Potassium:Isol8 K
Isol8 K 2.JPG
Isol8 K Basic Calculation.JPG

Strontium:Isol8 Sr
Strontium Base 2.JPG
Strontium Basic.JPG
Reef Lab Test.JPG

Any help would be greatly helpful :anxious-face-with-sweat::thinking-face:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I am focusing on correcting my trace elements. My mixed reef is 120 gallons of water including the sump. I am using the Captiv8 Aquaculture product and need help with calculating the correct dosage based on my Reef Lab ICP Test.

I'm not comfortable with my math calculations, So I'm asking for some help calculating the correct dosing of the following Elements.

1. Potassium:Isol8 K
2. Strontium:Isol8 Sr

I've attached a snip of my ICP results and The Captive8 product
Potassium:Isol8 K
View attachment 3148661View attachment 3148662
Strontium:Isol8 Sr
View attachment 3148663View attachment 3148664View attachment 3148666

Any help would be greatly helpful :anxious-face-with-sweat::thinking-face:
The first step is to decide to what level you want to increase each element.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Natural Sea Water levels or Opimal Range on the ICP test.
But you need to pick a number before the volume of solution can be calculated or you can do the calculation and the math can be checked in this post.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm disinclined to use a product that suggests that potassium or strontium dosing needs to be done at least 4 times a week. That's ludicrous. It suggests to me the manufacturer may not be very knowledgeable and may not have properly designd the product.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm disinclined to use a product that suggests that potassium or strontium dosing needs to be done at least 4 times a week. That's ludicrous. It suggests to me the manufacturer may not be very knowledgeable and may not have properly designd the product.
Shampoo sales nearly doubled when one word was added to the directions, “repeat”.

Is potassium a consumable element or is it adjusted and just checked maybe two times a year?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shampoo sales nearly doubled when one word was added to the directions, “repeat”.

Is potassium a consumable element or is it adjusted and just checked maybe two times a year?

There's no a priori reason it should be consumed, except in a tank dosing N or P.

The sink is internal cell contents, especially of exported tissue (skimmed bacteria, harvested macroalgae, etc.). But those tissues do not inherently contain more K per unit of N and P than do foods fed. Maybe they do, and maybe they contain less. If N and P are in balance, or accumulating, one might suppose K is in balance, or accumulating.

One of the reason I've worried about rinsing frozen food is the potential to break cell membranes by freezing, then washing away the K.

Some folks do see declining potassium over the long term. That might often be from sodium carbonate and calcium chloride additions, followed by a salinity lowering that lowers the K. Balling Part C, Dowflake impurity of K, and two parts that have K (ESV) should not sugffer that fat.

In my tank, i used only kalkwasser, 1% daily water changes. I never dosed potassium once, and after many years it was spot on at 397 ppm by Triton ICP. Water changes wouldn't have been reponsible to maintain it unelss the demand was incredibly low, sicne the salt mix likely has about the same levwel.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give my standard reply. First, do not worry about those things except for iron if you have chaeto or other macro algae. If you want to worry, then just buy some good salt mix and change some water - it will replenish most things and in a range where you don't have to test of worry about it. 200 gallon box of IO on sale is less than $40 and you can spend more than this on one ICP test without even getting any chemicals.

I got potassium and a few other things in a raffle once. Without being that guy and "over re-rely on personal experience" from the thread on the page right now, I never found any reason to dose either before the bottle, when I used the bottle or afterward.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I (was) dosing Aquaforest Alk, Calc, and Mag, I don't dose them anymore. I'm dosing saturated Kalkwasser only via Ecotech versa, I'm dosing 3.5mLs a min, which covers my ATO also. Ph is between 8.2 to 8.4.
The salt im using is HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix. I've been using this salt from day 1 of setting up this tank. since I have dosing kalk my coral growth has increased no issues there. I'm sending out the ATI ICP on Monday and I will post the result and see what has changed. my last ICP test was with Reef Lab :thinking-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat: not using them for this test.

Attachments

• Salt Mix.JPG
    Salt Mix.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back