View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3158469
Tunze fan here too. Super underrated!
Yea man! The 9430dc is a beast and my 9410dc is right behind it.
20210410_064647.jpg

AS
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When my EuroReef grows up, it wants to be just like that! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I purchased new in the early 90's and have had no need to change. I did upgrade the pump from the Sedra 3500 to a VarioS-2S with good results. The skimmer collects an amazing amount of crap and helps keep pH stable. I employ a heavy-in, heavy-out protocol to keep the fish and Acropora happy. Usually, the skimmer cup is cleaned about every 2-3 days.

View attachment 3158500
These are workhorses

Nutramar Foods

19Mateo83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m currently running a Magtool DCSQ-50 on my AIO 14g. It stabilizes my ph, adds aeration is under 3” wide so it fits my AIO back chamber. I feel like it adds overall stability to my system.
BD3058E3-AD45-4E25-84AD-10067BBFC150.jpeg
8F60CB14-F4C6-44E5-BE75-12D0AB9A65C0.jpeg

I also still have my old skimmer, been dry for over a decade…. Still works like a champ. If I ever set my old 75g back up it will get put back into service
D8A1505D-D791-4B10-A959-978D30BBB332.jpeg

World Wide Corals

AKG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed many of us use protein skimmers in our reef tanks. They act like high-tech vacuum cleaners, capturing potential troublemakers, such as organic compounds, before they can disrupt the delicate nitrogen balance in our tanks. But I've found that filter floss, working like a simple sponge, can perform a similar task. It's crucial to keep in mind that some larger or heavily stocked tanks might still benefit from protein skimmers.

When it comes to cost, filter floss is the clear winner in my book. It's cheaper than protein skimmers, both upfront and over time. This can leave me with some extra cash to spend on better lighting, a more diverse range of marine life, or high-quality live rock. Of course, the long-term costs, such as the need to replace and clean filter floss more often than a protein skimmer, are something to consider.

A major advantage of filter floss, in my experience, is that it can facilitate the growth of beneficial biofilms. These are minuscule layers of bacteria, algae, and fragments of dead plants and animals. In effect, these biofilms serve as a buffet for the good bacteria and algae in my tank, helping to nourish other organisms. It's important to remember, though, that if the filter floss isn't replaced regularly, like, every third day, it could become clogged and might even contribute to higher nutrient levels in the tank.

These friendly bacteria clean the water by transforming harmful ammonia into nitrite and then into less harmful nitrate. However, for tanks like those we see that have a high bio-load, filter floss alone might not be sufficient, and additional filtration methods might be necessary.

Furthermore, unlike some protein skimmers, filter floss doesn't generate those tiny bubbles. These microbubbles might seem inconsequential, but they can be as bothersome as a dust storm for the inhabitants of my tank. It's worth mentioning that not all skimmers create these bubbles, and those that do can often be adjusted to minimize this issue. I haven't seen gas bubble trauma show up on r2r yet so I'll assume it's either rare or people don't know what it is.

By using only filter floss, I believe I'm taking a step towards a more natural environment in my tank. Consider this: in the ocean, there are no protein skimmers, but there are lots of natural filtration methods like bacteria, algae, and sponges. Filter floss helps my tank mimic these natural filtration techniques, leading to a healthier and happier environment for my tank's residents. That being said,
for tanks that house many fish or corals or species that demand particularly clean water, filter floss alone might not be enough.

I have a 15, a 29 and a 40 and none get skimmed and they all run off exclusively filter floss.

Attachments

• PXL_20230503_021145686.jpg
    PXL_20230503_021145686.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20230503_021142714.jpg
    PXL_20230503_021142714.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 23
Top Shelf Aquatics

00W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have used one on every tank.
Started with a Sanders piccolo.
Then made my own.
Used eshopps and reef octopus on my tank now until I dropped my octopus while cleaning it and broke it.
Used my euroreef forever until the pump blew up.
Right now I have a simplicity 240 dc. It really works awesome.
I also run an SR pro skim 80.
Super silent but too small.
Thinking about ordering a new pump for the euroreef but honestly I've been quite impressed with the simplicity. I really have.
For me, in my opinion, skimmer is #1 for me. I feed heavy (trigger) and skim heavy.

rossco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my display skimmerless for 3 years after taking it offline during forest fires. The smoke definitely has a negative impact on my reef.

It ran just fine skimmerless but the tank is very mature and I have a large coral population. Even still had to dose nitrate and phosphate.

I recently put it back online with outdoor air feed for no reason other than keep my pH up because of my large calcium reactor.

I finally took my Kalk reactor that I added for ph help offline because i was tired of replacing the Kalk reactor circulation pump impellers. The super high pH hardens the Sicce impellers and they end up cracking. Was going through an impeller every 3 months.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pod_01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a protein skimmer? Why or why Not ?
What brand do you use and why did you choose this specific one?
Do you use a protein skimmer? Yes

Why or why Not ?
Oxygen, aeration, it definitely removes some nasty stuff from the water and it was highly recommended by Fauna Marin to use skimmer.

What brand brand do you use and why did you choose this specific one?
Royal Exclusive Bubble King DoubleCone 130. Generally I prefer to buy things once and keep them long term and it was recommended by Fauna Marin. Unfortunately I did take bit of a detour and tried few others with out much luck. On the plus I learned that oversized skimmer is bad idea and they do need to be sized for the system.

NeedAReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go back and forth. The skimming helps for sure but if you are running socks or some filter pad and you have a fuge, you may find that water changes and some occasional sump vacuum is more than enough. Probably depends greatly on bioload and the types of corals and stuff you keep too as some prefer dirty water versus others that need it super clean.

QuickrdenU

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed many of us use protein skimmers in our reef tanks. They act like high-tech vacuum cleaners, capturing potential troublemakers, such as organic compounds, before they can disrupt the delicate nitrogen balance in our tanks. But I've found that filter floss, working like a simple sponge, can perform a similar task. It's crucial to keep in mind that some larger or heavily stocked tanks might still benefit from protein skimmers.

When it comes to cost, filter floss is the clear winner in my book. It's cheaper than protein skimmers, both upfront and over time. This can leave me with some extra cash to spend on better lighting, a more diverse range of marine life, or high-quality live rock. Of course, the long-term costs, such as the need to replace and clean filter floss more often than a protein skimmer, are something to consider.

A major advantage of filter floss, in my experience, is that it can facilitate the growth of beneficial biofilms. These are minuscule layers of bacteria, algae, and fragments of dead plants and animals. In effect, these biofilms serve as a buffet for the good bacteria and algae in my tank, helping to nourish other organisms. It's important to remember, though, that if the filter floss isn't replaced regularly, like, every third day, it could become clogged and might even contribute to higher nutrient levels in the tank.

These friendly bacteria clean the water by transforming harmful ammonia into nitrite and then into less harmful nitrate. However, for tanks like those we see that have a high bio-load, filter floss alone might not be sufficient, and additional filtration methods might be necessary.

Furthermore, unlike some protein skimmers, filter floss doesn't generate those tiny bubbles. These microbubbles might seem inconsequential, but they can be as bothersome as a dust storm for the inhabitants of my tank. It's worth mentioning that not all skimmers create these bubbles, and those that do can often be adjusted to minimize this issue. I haven't seen gas bubble trauma show up on r2r yet so I'll assume it's either rare or people don't know what it is.

By using only filter floss, I believe I'm taking a step towards a more natural environment in my tank. Consider this: in the ocean, there are no protein skimmers, but there are lots of natural filtration methods like bacteria, algae, and sponges. Filter floss helps my tank mimic these natural filtration techniques, leading to a healthier and happier environment for my tank's residents. That being said,
for tanks that house many fish or corals or species that demand particularly clean water, filter floss alone might not be enough.

I have a 15, a 29 and a 40 and none get skimmed and they all run off exclusively filter floss.
You’ve never walked through yards of fish poop foam on the beach? They don’t have skimmers but they have lots of waves and turbulence. I suppose they both serve the same purpose. I’ll try to always run a skimmer if I can, if not simply for the aeration it provides.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I go back and forth. The skimming helps for sure but if you are running socks or some filter pad and you have a fuge, you may find that water changes and some occasional sump vacuum is more than enough. Probably depends greatly on bioload and the types of corals and stuff you keep too as some prefer dirty water versus others that need it super clean.
I run triple socks, algae scrubber and skimmer and all need servicing as they are doing their job with 43 fish in tank

lelolai15

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal. RedSea max nano which brings a skimmer. I used it for about a year and it was to effective for my tank.

It now just sits in the back with no use. I do about 2 gal. Water changes every 3-4 days. Which I believe keeps nutrients in check and parameters stable.

QuickrdenU

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run triple socks, algae scrubber and skimmer and all need servicing as they are doing their job with 43 fish in tank
Haha. Yeah you can’t water change your way out of 43 fish! I suppose you could but that wouldn’t be fun nor cheap… It has always amazed me that we can find interest in a big tall tube that collects crap but then I’ll never own a dog because I don’t want to deal with it’s turds.

Avast

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Yes!
Why? Because your tank is a toilet and your skimmer is a very nice cleaning person that doesn’t mind cleaning your toilet. And as a bonus your skimmer will throw in gas exchange and raise your PH for free.
Yes there are other ways to "NOT" have a skimmer, but why? Why would you make your life purposely difficult.
This is what I wrote when someone asked about skimmers a few months ago.
I use a RSK 300 on my 40g. Although now that my tank is going crazy with growth. I have it turned down for a dark skim and it provides more gas exchange than skim. I am running a roller fleece in combo and I have to be very careful to not strip out too many nutrients now. In fact, I use a cut down Red Sea fleece, because it is closer to 200 microns, instead of the 50 my Aquamaxx roller fleece filter comes with. My next step maybe only running my skimmer at night.
I have a mixed reef tank, so it’s a fine line to keep everyone happy.
IMG_0312.jpeg

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back