Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early 90s I was actually a representative for an up and coming skimmer company (don't even recall the brand) and I was supposed to sell to LFS. Wasn't given much in the way of instructions or knowledge and told to go find out and use them. Once fully understood they were just another means of mechanical filtration that solved my journey and I stopped using them. Get that they are main stream and very functional but in the end just another means of mechanical filtration to me. Very effective mechanical filtration but if there are other means to resolve the decomposition then this is less practical as I'm often away and unable to constantly maintenance the skimmate or clean necks. I'm also concerned with the skimmer over skimming and causing a spill on my floors were I to use a remote reservoir to extend the periods between servicing that skimmate. Didn't want to deal with the resulting smell since that skimmed will continue to decay. Didn't want my significant other to complain about smells or tell me she didn't want to service it. Didn't want to risk needing reef ready which might result in flooding my floors because something always happens when one is away. Didn't want the need for a sump to house that skimmer. Skimmers in the early 90s were problematic to adjust for me. Today they seem considerably better in that respect but still need a place to house that skimmate between servicing and decay hasn't changed in billions of years. It still stinks.

My conundrum from those early days still exists today. What exactly does that skimmer remove that other means of processing decay until nitrogen gas becomes the end result? I can run ozone through a dedicated reactor. Back in the 90s it was direct through the skimmer. Don't recall if most skimmers were even ozone ready. GAC can be used to remove color along with or in place of ozone. Large enough biological can process any volume of decomposing detritus along with it's ammonia and nitrite byproduct. Properly functioning denitrification filter can process the nitrates. Nitrification/denitrification utilizes phosphates and what's left can be handled by other means. Lanthernum Chloride comes to mind for those now apposed to GFO or fear alluminum leaching from PhosGuard. Carbon dosing has replaced the need for denitrification. Surface agitation can gas off co2 and replace oxygen. Refugiums can do it all. Scrubbers can replace refugiums although since they grab co2 from the atmosphere that means less co2 removed from the water.

Have read skimmers also remove heavy metals but not sure on that and yet to some extent so does macroalgae and what's left has other options such as CupriSorb.

Therefore i ask. What exactly does a skimmer provide that a large enough refugium doesn't? Oh, yeah, once I discovered Algal Turf scrubbers in the late 80s that became my goal. Guess knowing that made my decision to avoid skimmers from the start more relevant although those contraptions at the time were very costly, seemed odd to implement and eventually Dr Adey took them out of aquarium circulation and focused on commercial operations because apparently profits higher in that sector and clueless to mineral requirements as were the rest of us and yet today we have ICP testing that although not pinpoint accurate does provide an approximation of what elements are depleted or in excess. Solutions exist to bring balance and stability. Latter what I strive for.

Only piece of equipment from those early days of the 90s that still make sense today are calcium reactors which realistically should be named alkalinity reactors because that's where the most benefit is derived and even that I struggle to find the space and need because we can now dose better elements than the only choice of the 90s being kalk which as amazing as that is esquires a large amount of evaporation and still needs the addition of magnesium and trace. Latter I recall can be removed by skimming but I could be wrong on that.

One last point that has often confused me. Skimmers supposedly reduce co2 and raise ph when air provided either supplied from outside the house or scrubbed of co2 and if that's because the micro-bubbles are better at gassing co2 vs surface agitation in the display then that would be reason enough to use it, yet I wouldn't need a fully functioning skimmer and just a vessel that replicates that particular function. Perhaps in the back of an AIO or simpler design taking less space in the sump since it shouldn't need to be finely tuned due to skimmate not required and just run it wet with the sole purpose of gassing co2. That would be my holly grail since I can resolve decomposition and my only pressing concern is inability to raise ph consistently above 7.6 due to an overcrowded air tight south Florida home constantly having too may inhabitants. We just breath too much. That would also negate the need for a refugium or scrubber and life would be simplifies using AFR and ICP to balance minerals out. Might still run ozone through a reactor just because I like crystal clear water as if the fish are flying through air. Mostly a big tank problem but I want a big tank.

Have always been a contrarian but I also question everything vs following the masses which often change their path as new news becomes known. Don't get me started on roller mats :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my number one reason for skimming

Poop GIF by giphystudios2021

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a skimmer.
No room, no sump, no room for sump (in wife-approved nook).
*I struggle more with low nutrients than high but often see the topic of dissolved oxygen come up so have wondered about skimmer benefits there but no issues so???

ceaver

Stability is all!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't skim for many years but recently just put one in the tank. It's a Magtool for a 40-gal AIO tank, fits in sump in back.
I found that it was necessary to have a way to export organics in the water in order to make the heavy in heavy out approach for acropora work. I think if you're going to have acropora you're going to need a skimmer eventually--I held out as long as I could but eventually had to do it...

Top Shelf Aquatics

Midrats

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have used one on every tank.
Started with a Sanders piccolo.
Then made my own.
Used eshopps and reef octopus on my tank now until I dropped my octopus while cleaning it and broke it.
Used my euroreef forever until the pump blew up.
Right now I have a simplicity 240 dc. It really works awesome.
I also run an SR pro skim 80.
Super silent but too small.
Thinking about ordering a new pump for the euroreef but honestly I've been quite impressed with the simplicity. I really have.
For me, in my opinion, skimmer is #1 for me. I feed heavy (trigger) and skim heavy.

Always have used one on every tank.
Started with a Sanders piccolo.
Then made my own.
Used eshopps and reef octopus on my tank now until I dropped my octopus while cleaning it and broke it.
Used my euroreef forever until the pump blew up.
Right now I have a simplicity 240 dc. It really works awesome.
I also run an SR pro skim 80.
Super silent but too small.
Thinking about ordering a new pump for the euroreef but honestly I've been quite impressed with the simplicity. I really have.
For me, in my opinion, skimmer is #1 for me. I feed heavy (trigger) and skim heavy.
I'll never part with my Sander Piccolo! I set up a little tank in my daughter's classroom back in the Nineties and it worked like a champ. My tank back then had an Iwaki-powered ETSS on it that made the stinkiest skimmate in the world. I miss that thing.
PXL_20230520_221122894.jpg

Pridedcloth3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tossed my skimmer in favor of macro. While it was pretty effective it would get too effective with many variables. Without it I'm able to lock my nutrient levels easier and if they do get a little low just means it's time to donate macro to the lfs. Plus the leftover food that breaks down is consumed by beneficial bacteria and coral so I'll just let things go the way they are.

Nutramar Foods

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But of course... always have, always will and always with controlled ozone. Nine years and counting on a Super Reef Octopus XP3000I 10” Cone In Sump Skimmer. No pump problems, no noise, no bubbles. Of course, it has an air silencer that works well and wouldn't have one w/o it. If anything, I wish it would generate more skimmate and less sludge I have to clean from the neck and lid. Don't think I have enough vertical space for an auto neck cleaner.

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - if your collection cup has a bottom drain, why not just open that up and don’t have to empty that cup ever again?
I did this once while I was on vacation just to keep up aeration and not worry about it overflowing but the foam collected onto my ATO optical sensor and prevented it from turning on my ATO pump. Luckily I came home before it got too low.

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus 150 in my 50gal system. The tank is only about 9 months old and still pretty nutrient deprived so it is currently off. I'll kick it on once the tank stabilizes more but right now I'm worried about the nutrients running too low and getting....gulp....dinos.

Avast

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus 150 in my 50gal system. The tank is only about 9 months old and still pretty nutrient deprived so it is currently off. I'll kick it on once the tank stabilizes more but right now I'm worried about the nutrients running too low and getting....gulp....dinos.
Do what I do — feed more! My super fat tang gang can feed a buffet of 100 people! lol

Ober_Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one from the start of my current set up after being out of the hobby for about ten years. Realized by biggest issue and stopped using it. Now that I have a decent range of nutrients I look forward to running it at night to help battle PH swings.

Mateusz

Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought a new Simplicity DC 240 skimmer for my new frag system i'm putting together, but i'm almost debating just selling it or putting it in the closet and maybe trying an algae scrubber instead, just not sure. Half the time I don't even run the skimmer cup on my main system it just seems to do better.

World Wide Corals

Pod_01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early 90s I was actually a representative for an up and coming skimmer company (don't even recall the brand) and I was supposed to sell to LFS. Wasn't given much in the way of instructions or knowledge and told to go find out and use them. Once fully understood they were just another means of mechanical filtration that solved my journey and I stopped using them. Get that they are main stream and very functional but in the end just another means of mechanical filtration to me. Very effective mechanical filtration but if there are other means to resolve the decomposition then this is less practical as I'm often away and unable to constantly maintenance the skimmate or clean necks. I'm also concerned with the skimmer over skimming and causing a spill on my floors were I to use a remote reservoir to extend the periods between servicing that skimmate. Didn't want to deal with the resulting smell since that skimmed will continue to decay. Didn't want my significant other to complain about smells or tell me she didn't want to service it. Didn't want to risk needing reef ready which might result in flooding my floors because something always happens when one is away. Didn't want the need for a sump to house that skimmer. Skimmers in the early 90s were problematic to adjust for me. Today they seem considerably better in that respect but still need a place to house that skimmate between servicing and decay hasn't changed in billions of years. It still stinks.

My conundrum from those early days still exists today. What exactly does that skimmer remove that other means of processing decay until nitrogen gas becomes the end result? I can run ozone through a dedicated reactor. Back in the 90s it was direct through the skimmer. Don't recall if most skimmers were even ozone ready. GAC can be used to remove color along with or in place of ozone. Large enough biological can process any volume of decomposing detritus along with it's ammonia and nitrite byproduct. Properly functioning denitrification filter can process the nitrates. Nitrification/denitrification utilizes phosphates and what's left can be handled by other means. Lanthernum Chloride comes to mind for those now apposed to GFO or fear alluminum leaching from PhosGuard. Carbon dosing has replaced the need for denitrification. Surface agitation can gas off co2 and replace oxygen. Refugiums can do it all. Scrubbers can replace refugiums although since they grab co2 from the atmosphere that means less co2 removed from the water.

Have read skimmers also remove heavy metals but not sure on that and yet to some extent so does macroalgae and what's left has other options such as CupriSorb.

Therefore i ask. What exactly does a skimmer provide that a large enough refugium doesn't? Oh, yeah, once I discovered Algal Turf scrubbers in the late 80s that became my goal. Guess knowing that made my decision to avoid skimmers from the start more relevant although those contraptions at the time were very costly, seemed odd to implement and eventually Dr Adey took them out of aquarium circulation and focused on commercial operations because apparently profits higher in that sector and clueless to mineral requirements as were the rest of us and yet today we have ICP testing that although not pinpoint accurate does provide an approximation of what elements are depleted or in excess. Solutions exist to bring balance and stability. Latter what I strive for.

Only piece of equipment from those early days of the 90s that still make sense today are calcium reactors which realistically should be named alkalinity reactors because that's where the most benefit is derived and even that I struggle to find the space and need because we can now dose better elements than the only choice of the 90s being kalk which as amazing as that is esquires a large amount of evaporation and still needs the addition of magnesium and trace. Latter I recall can be removed by skimming but I could be wrong on that.

One last point that has often confused me. Skimmers supposedly reduce co2 and raise ph when air provided either supplied from outside the house or scrubbed of co2 and if that's because the micro-bubbles are better at gassing co2 vs surface agitation in the display then that would be reason enough to use it, yet I wouldn't need a fully functioning skimmer and just a vessel that replicates that particular function. Perhaps in the back of an AIO or simpler design taking less space in the sump since it shouldn't need to be finely tuned due to skimmate not required and just run it wet with the sole purpose of gassing co2. That would be my holly grail since I can resolve decomposition and my only pressing concern is inability to raise ph consistently above 7.6 due to an overcrowded air tight south Florida home constantly having too may inhabitants. We just breath too much. That would also negate the need for a refugium or scrubber and life would be simplifies using AFR and ICP to balance minerals out. Might still run ozone through a reactor just because I like crystal clear water as if the fish are flying through air. Mostly a big tank problem but I want a big tank.

Have always been a contrarian but I also question everything vs following the masses which often change their path as new news becomes known. Don't get me started on roller mats :face-with-rolling-eyes:
Interesting point of view that for me worked in reverse, why would I do all these other things when one device skimmer can do them all ….
For me the final decision for picking skimmer was when I asked myself why do I need to learn how to grow and maintain refurgium ( add NO3/PO4 and trace like iron etc…) when all I really want to do is grow corals. I got to a realization that I don’t care for nor do I want any algae. It North America it is big business to grow algae and another way to follow the masses ;).

I am not contrarian but I do love KISS principles. For me in reefing skimmer delivers KISS principles in spades, and let me clarify 2020 skimmer technology.

I guess in the end it shows there are multiple ways to achieve success in reefing. It doesn’t matter what it is as long as the animals namely corals are happy.

Cheers,

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting to note that I have 2 tanks with similar big-3 parameters. The main tank has a skimmer with pH of 8.2-8.4 and the second tank is w/o a skimmer with pH of 7.8-8.1. What I can see between my two tanks: the main tank grows corals faster, possibly with higher pH? Nothing dies on the second tank but things are just super slow or stagnant.

I can hook us a skimmer on the second tank to compare but I’m too lazy to clean the skimmer cup. Currently, I just clean the glass with this tank — everything else has been automated.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting point of view that for me worked in reverse, why would I do all these other things when one device skimmer can do them all ….
For me the final decision for picking skimmer was when I asked myself why do I need to learn how to grow and maintain refurgium ( add NO3/PO4 and trace like iron etc…) when all I really want to do is grow corals. I got to a realization that I don’t care for nor do I want any algae. It North America it is big business to grow algae and another way to follow the masses ;).

I am not contrarian but I do love KISS principles. For me in reefing skimmer delivers KISS principles in spades, and let me clarify 2020 skimmer technology.

I guess in the end it shows there are multiple ways to achieve success in reefing. It doesn’t matter what it is as long as the animals namely corals are happy.

Cheers,
Skimmer only removes 30% of the organics before they’ve had a chance to break down. Fuge appropriately sized can remove them all.

Skimmer raises pH for those not having high levels of co2 in their house otherwise require a co2 scrubber and if running a calcium reactor have to contend with that being added and there’s no co2 scrubber to remove that. Fuge solves both issues.

Adding elements such as iron isn’t really that difficult or complicated.

You mention the marketing of algae yet same can be said of skimmers which I recall started early 90s. They might have been known about here in the 80s but I don’t recall any LFS then having them. They were still busy switching from DLS to plastic balls.

Fuge takes up less space than a skimmer. Less maintenance. Can be controlled based on pH where set points can turn it off and on just like a heater and further tuned if bottoming out nutrients too effective although I’d rather just feed more or dose those nutrients. We dose everything else.

Box of algae with light is KISS to me vs entire sump system with socks/roller mats plus co2 scrubber plus constant maintenance of all that vs just grabbing some algae and tossing or selling it to the LFS, club or swap. Don’t know of any that have capitalized skimmate.

Talking about marketing. Sumps have become more expensive than some tanks and often the focus of seeking instagram likes. Sumps of old just acrylic boxes until Oceanic built them out of glass. Those were work of arts yet still didn’t cost the price of a small car.

In the 80s knew a couple of LFS employees that deployed a Rubbermaid or Steralite container with a shop light and grew Caulerpa. Wasn’t called a refugium then. Just a makeshift sump. Doesn’t get more KISS than that.

Around the 70s I recall the use of co2 and iron plus other supplements to grow FW plants. I’m sure they were around prior but that’s before my time. Much of the dosing based on the color of the plants. Nothing complicated. Same can be done with algae. It really isn’t that involved but we do like complexity as a means of showing how amazing we are at keeping something complicated. Sometimes KISS all that’s needed.

To each their own. That’s all that matters. I’m back to leaning towards a Fuge. It’s a hobby. Not space exploration for me.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Hanna
Back