Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking generally, but is there anything to lose by feeding reef roids or AB+ for a triple hit of nitrate, phosphate and coral growth?
Imho you can only increase N + P with feeding if the food gets sucked into the sump and starts rotting there.
In my tank i could never get N+P to detectable amounts no matter how much i was feeding. I have only increased my bristleworm population that way.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still adds potassium to your tank.. potassium….nitrate….
So I've looked everywhere and not finding any information confirming neonitro contains any potassium, the bottle suggests potassium salts, like maybe it's sodium nitrate, It's strange also because I monitor and dose potassium and i use neonitro and Ive never noticed an issue with elevated potassium, do you have information backing this up so I could look into....... it............

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've looked everywhere and not finding any information confirming neonitro contains any potassium, the bottle suggests potassium salts, like maybe it's sodium nitrate, It's strange also because I monitor and dose potassium and i use neonitro and Ive never noticed an issue with elevated potassium, do you have information backing this up so I could look into....... it............
If you have a potassium test you can test your pure neonitro. Potassium nitrate is the cheapest form of nitrate but it would be irresponsible to sell it to reefers. Well after vibrant im not surprised about anything anymore.

BRS

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV's Nitrate is Calcium Nitrate and they tell you that on the bottle.
Lol brightwell is know for not disclosing any of their ingredients accept purified water, I just don't think it's pure potassium nitrate because it's sold to the masses, and leaves to much chance for issues. I'd like to see if there is any information on the contrary though because im not sure.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a potassium test you can test your pure neonitro. Potassium nitrate is the cheapest form of nitrate but it would be irresponsible to sell it to reefers. Well after vibrant im not surprised about anything anymore.
I do but it's not really worth the time of the test for me, because I don't believe it does contain potassium.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrate has been pinned at 0.0 (per my Hanna HR checker) so far ive switched the reds and blues off in my grow light so just the whites are on, I’ve added some mollies and a tang and have stepped up feeding quite a bit

But it seems like it isn’t doing anything to raise my nitrate I have various soft corals and I’m hoping for better growth

here’s my sump set upView attachment 2854723

not sure what’s the best way to go to raise them slightly and hold them there for stability, maybe black out the cheato or throw a lot of it out? Stop using the protein skimmer? Just keep the sump working as is and dose nitrate?

what have you guys done? Any tips are greatly appreciated

Run the skimmer at night only and feed more. Or, dose aminos (assuming you have coral?)

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've tested it already and are sure it has potassium in it? Or is that your beliefs vs mine? Lol :)

I'm pretty sure at one point it listed potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate as ingredients. I might be able to check a bottle I have around if I dont forget lol

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m pretty inexperienced at reefing (that was probably obvious enough already lol) I never even new potassium was a thing in fish tanks

so I take it there is an ideal level I should aim for and the Neonitro contains potassium? And I need to buy a test kit for potassium before I consider that product?

There’s no reason (IMO) to use a costly Brightwell product of unknown purity just to raise nitrate.

Food grade sodium nitrate is cheap and easy to use. Calcium nitrate is even better, but harder to find. Avoid potassium nitrate unless you are monitoring potassium and know you need it.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure at one point it listed potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate as ingredients. I might be able to check a bottle I have around if I dont forget lol
I already posted a picture of a bottle, and listed the ingredients they list not much information other than that.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no reason (IMO) to use a costly Brightwell product of unknown purity just to raise nitrate.

Food grade sodium nitrate is cheap and easy to use. Calcium nitrate is even better, but harder to find. Avoid potassium nitrate unless you are monitoring potassium and know you need it.
Do you think potassium is in neonitro? I agree with you but, I do use this product currently.

World Wide Corals

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i didn't think it was potassium nitrate

If you search the forums here you will find reported potassium increase from it and Randy also warns everyone to monitor potassium if using this product.

I used this product for a month and it raised my potassium levels. Confirmed via ICP testing

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've tested it already and are sure it has potassium in it? Or is that your beliefs vs mine? Lol :)
I don't use products with unknown content, therefore i don't have to believe.
For N+ i use calciumnitrate and for P+ I use Na2HPO4. All bought from a chemical distributor inclusive analytic certificate for each batch. Reef additives are so overpriced, even though i am buying p.a. purity it is still far cheaper than commercial stuff.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back