throwback photos - do you remember when...

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the holiday's so my mom sent me a care packaging containing two photos indicating I was into freshwater sooner than I thought and also transitioned to saltwater sooner than I thought... Also don't know what they were thinking allowing me to put aquariums on their hardwood floors, but there is no trace of those tanks (or is it the same tank in both photo) having been in either room.

So never liked perms so don't know what was up with my hair in below photo. Think there is a canister filter behind me, but I was also into undergravel filtration ... and know I used both but can't quite tell what was going on here... I find myself wanting to zoom in on the photo like I would on my cellphone... and that isn't a 'throwback' Mountain Dew bottle design... it was current design back then...
18 year old me with freshwater tank in parents living room adjusted.jpg

and then a couple years later, having been in my own Baltimore Maryland apartment then back living at home, with (same?) fish tank in a different room - now I've gone saltwater and pretty sure that is my beloved flame angel so it must have moved to Northern Virginia with me... don't remember this tank setup here either but this is about the time I had a 27 tall hexagon tank that I talked my 'first real job' into letting me setup in the office... wish I had photos of that tank - company got bought out by McGraw-Hill and I changed jobs to DC, tank went with me to Northern Virginia. Wish someone would send me care photos of the Northern Virginia shared house's dining room - ringed it with aquariums and ruined those hardwood floors...
21 year old me with saltwater tank in parents family room adjusted.jpg

My 14 year old daughter will not let me be 16, and looking at the above photos these days she shouldn't let me be 21 either... Life had to be simpler back then... too bad I can't remember the details... Neither of above are Michael, though he pre-dates both above photos, so it isn't like I can keep sharing these fish photos around the house now...

Wondering how many of you out there have photos of your first tanks? Do they bring back memories? Or is it so long ago that memories are gone? I've joked I've forgotten more than I used to know, but now feeling like it might be true... wondering if this is normal.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second attempt at saltwater in 1990 at my college house. This tank was short lived set up in September, sprung a leak when I was home for Thanksgiving, my roommate was frantically calling me. The tank was pretty much dry, fish were barely hanging on, told him to bring them to the pet store. I don't think they made it. It was a 38 gallon tank I had for several years and was freshwater for about 5 years or so. Looks like it has the original aquaclear HOB from circa 1980.

fish tank 1990.JPG

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back